4.0 out of 5 stars Somehow, it works...
This is a strange film. The first time I watched it, after about 20 minutes, I thought I'd made a mistake - it seemed directionless and disjointed. But I stuck with it. At the end, I thought 'I've got to watch that again'.

Published on 26 Jun 2009 by Diziet

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at first but gets somewhere by the end
Published on 9 Mar 2010 by Snoop Doug

4.0 out of 5 stars Somehow, it works..., 26 Jun 2009
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)

The second time I watched it, I was engrossed from the beginning. It is a really beautiful film, and so, so sad. It's about four damaged people. It's about delusion and illusion. A girl who is trying to make suicide into an art form, a young man whose fiancée didn't turn up for their marriage, a man looking for his son and mourning the death of his daughter. All these people inhabit a thoroughly mundane London. But the fourth lives in Meanwhile City - where everyone, except him, has a religion and non-believers are hunted by the police. The police look like old-fashioned 'Peelers' with high top-hats and dark glasses. Meanwhile City is very reminiscent of Brazil. But the religions are not fanatical - how about 'The Seventh Day Manicurists' - it's simply that you must have one.

The story cuts from the dark, Gothic Meanwhile City straight to the broad daylight concrete ordinariness of Centre Point - it's really jarring and unwelcome, but slowly the stories start to intertwine, the motives and backgrounds start becoming clearer - and the gradually unfolding tragedy becomes more and more compelling. And the end had me in tears.

It's not a sci-fi film, whatever it may be billed as. It's a story about damaged people trying to make sense of what's happened and is happening to them - it's just extreme.

Honestly, it's a mess of a film but it's somehow beautiful, entrancing too. It stays with you. I've got to watch it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under-reviewed, 6 July 2009
Jeff Cotton "fictionalcities.com" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This film did not get well reviewed on release, but I have to admit that I liked it a lot. There are three characters in three plot strands set in present day London. They are all people dealing with loss and vacancies in their lives. The forth character is also dealing with a similar painful loss, but his way of coping is to retreat into an alternative city, called Meanwhile, and so his strand is distinctly sci-fi. This vaguely steam-punky (and very Gothic) city is neatly meshed with the real London, with regard to both the plot and how the vast computer-created vistas blend with bits of real London. There's much filming around the Naval College in Greenwich, as ever, with the roofscape of the Victoria and Albert Museum featuring too, I think, and the interior of the Royal Courts of Justice. I think that if this film had done without the sci-fi bits and had a name like Michael Winterbottom attached to it it would've got better reviews, and been very much less interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this DVD. Now. Go on. Now!, 23 Jun 2009
Mr. Pa Smith "the Dog called Pete" (A kennel in York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Where to start in the fulsome praise I intend to heap on this film? The script is inventive, intelligent and original. The cast is wonderful, and yes, Eva Green CAN act! Not just look pretty! Lesser actresses could have turned her character/s into annoying caricatures, but she infuses them with a life and dignity which makes them tragic and compelling. Bernard Hill could bring dignity and gravitas to a live-action Tom and Jerry movie, and as always is excellent. Even pretty-boy American Ryan Phillipe turns in the performance of a lifetime, and not just because he wears a mask for most of the movie!
The production design is remarkable, on a par with Gilliam at his best. Photography beautiful, giving even the most squalid locations a tinge of loss, portent and savage beauty.
Most movies could do with 10-20 minutes cut out of them, blockbusters generally 30-45 minutes, but the only criticism I have of this one is that it felt too damn short. And it's BRITISH! Yes folks, made in the UK!
Plot wise, it's four interwoven stories about tragedy and loss woven together finally in contemporary London, but that doesn't do it justice. Some may argue the ending is ambiguous, but for me it was Capraesque in its life affirming quality.
It's the greatest movie produced this century so far. Buy it.
Buy it now.
You'll never regret it.
Buy it. Go on, review's over. Buy! Now!

4.0 out of 5 stars "If you believe in something strongly enough, who's to say if it's real or not?", 24 July 2009
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A mysterious masked man called Jonathan explains that he is going to kill someone that night, we then get the backstory leading up to this event...

...His retrospective tells of the grip of religion, how it is used for social control, and how he is investigating one such religious group who have abducted a girl - one whom he is tasked with rescuing. After learning that the girl was killed he is arrested and gaoled, only to be released four years later on condition that he kill the man responsible for the girl's death. Freedom and revenge - a sweet deal.

This is filmed as a dark fantasy with massive gothic buildings and impressive cityscapes which look like something from Tolkien blended with Blade Runner. This contrasts against the other plotlines which are set in contemporary Britain. The dark fairytale and the modern stories both have parallels, the same characters appear and the plots intertwine. It feels a bit messy at first but after a while you can see how the stories are starting to converge and eventually they intersect, the separate plots come together and we see where the stylistic gothic plot involving the masked man originates.

I heard that many people gave up on this film after watching for a while and finding the various sub plots dauntingly difficult to understand, but everything makes sense in the end, and if you can't see it coming after while then you'll certainly recognise it during the final scenes. Franklyn seems to have been marketed in away which appealed to fans of comicbook action films only to disappoint them. I must admit that I thought it was along those sorts of lines, but it isn't. It isn't an action film, though it certainly does have some action early on, it delves into the psychology of several different people whose lives are linked by different events.

In a nutshell: A film which appears to be a comic-hero fantasy with a damning take on religion and the apathetic masses who blindly follow a religious yet Godless society in a grim future, turns into a drama involving a complex web of relationships which are cleverly weaved to come together for the films finale. Impressive visuals enable two parallel realities to exist alongside each other and keep you wanting to know the relevance of it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best film for years, 29 Mar 2010
Amazon Customer (PLYMOUTH, DEVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I can see why this film has had some poor ratings but I think this is unfair and possibly because they thought they were going to watch a sci-fi film - it is not, it is more like a fantasy but it is not that either.. I don't want to give anything of the storyline away except to say that this is a film that is set in reality and is about hope, despair, love and faith. It revolves around four central characters whose lives eventually intertwine. Eva Green is superb as the fragile, tormented art student. The film is somewhat difficult to understand what is happening at first but don't let that put you off, it is deliberate on the part of the writer/director. Just persevere and accept what you see and all will be revealed, then you can watch it again. It is everything a good film should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars The left hand of...something, 21 Nov 2009
Mr. S. Barr (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Sci-fi? I don't think so. But then, what would I call it? I really don't know.

I do know that it's clever (when so few films are) that the acting is excellent, that the reason the scenes in 'Meanwhile city' just don't feel quite right is because they are not supposed to, that as a 'sci-fi' film, this is something even my wife (who hates sci-fi) would watch and enjoy.

In a word this film is about 'damage'. I could also say 'perception', but I think 'damage' is the right word. All the characters have burdens; all have their own distorted view of the world in which they live. The way they are all connected to each other doesn't become clear until the last few minutes of the film, when the ending becomes obvious, painful and at least in one respect (but only one) redeeming.

An excellent film; a thoughtful film; proof that you don't need $100m and a film laden with special effects and bereft of story, to get results. If you're looking for aliens, don't bother. If you're looking for a thoughtful, moving story about the humanity of being human, try it, you might be surprised. I was.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing at first but gets somewhere by the end, 9 Mar 2010
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Like a few other reviewers, I was expecting something akin to 'V for Vendetta' or 'Dark City'. Within the first 10 minutes I was angry that the film-makers had misrepresented this piece via it's trailer. However, I stuck with it out of bloody mindedness and a desire to see if the disparate set of character studies would somehow get woven together before the end of the film. While it never delivers on the promise of it's trailer, it did finally acheive a tidy and satisfying little conclusion and at least didn't leave me wanting the previous 90 minutes back. Watch this if you're willing to set aside your preconceived ideas about the film and just watch a slightly unusual 'drama'.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Franklyn" on BLU RAY - Compatibility Issues With The 'US' Disc..., 19 Mar 2014
Mark Barry (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Love or loathe it - if you want to own the decidedly weird "Franklyn" on BLU RAY and you live in the UK - you should note the following.

The American issue on Image Entertainment is REGION A LOCKED - so it won't play on our machines unless they're chipped to be 'all regions' (which few are).

Go for either the UK or Euro issues - they're cheap now and a looker on the format too...

5.0 out of 5 stars Witness TRUE horror, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I know nothing of the author/directors intentions but....
Following a number of conversations with a few "fully experienced experts" over the years I'd call this a slightly glossy (it's a movie) interpretation of the true horror of JUST ONE VERSION of quite extreme Paranoid Schizophrenia.
If you want a mere inkling of the haunting that some people have to live with due to no fault of their own, here is just one of the myriad of possible experiences.
Don't be too surprised if you "don't get it", that's quite possibly you're self preservation kicking in.
The drugs are always improving but there's still much more we need to discover.

5.0 out of 5 stars oririnal film, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Franklyn [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Beautiful film takes you into another world and grips you all the way. I wish there were more films like this

ARRAY(0xab8ac954)

Franklyn [DVD] [2008]
Franklyn [DVD] [2008] by Gerald McMorrow (DVD - 2009)
3.25