5.0 out of 5 stars A big improvement over V2
I like it. I've tried a number of security suites, including Norton Internet Security 2009, and this is probably my favourite. Norton products were getting very flabby until NIS 2009 came along, and V3 of Norton 360 seems to have built very effectively on the performance enhancements found in NIS 2009. It doesn't seem to increase boot times and uses very little memory or...
Published on 12 May 2009 by Mr Gumby

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok when working, beware of Technical Support when it doesn't
Let's be clear this is a good product when it's working. It would be worrying if in terms of functionality a product from a company as dominant in the market as Norton could not achieve a 4/5 star review. However when you part with your cash for this product you are also purchasing an entitlement to technical support and the quality of this should also be a...
Published on 16 Oct 2009 by S. C. Ellis

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars V3.0 is best so far, 13 Jun 2009
Planet G "stendec-306" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My first experience with Norton 360 was with V2.0. It offered excellent levels of protection but there were also one or two problems with it and several omissions. V3.0 is a big improvement although there are still a few small issues.

Installation was painless and relatively quick - as expected. Once installed there are more features to play with compared to V2.0, including a Network monitoring facility which allows detection of all connected devices and the setting of access levels to each of them. I wouldn't recommend playing too much with the settings here unless you are familiar with the way your network is configured though. V3.0 also has more in the way of Tune-up tools (as well as the disk de-frag tool there is a diagnostic application that is able to make recommendations, a start up manager that allows you to decide which applications start with the PC, plus there's the password manager that I didn't use in V2.0 as I use an online service called Last Pass for this to avoid storing password details on my PC.

The one annoying thing about V2.0 was the back-up facility. As 2.0GB of online storage is not enough, especially with 3 pc's, and as the back up scheduling is not flexible enough to allow manual back-up when required to integrate with scheduled scan and clean-up activity, in V3.0 this is just as much of an annoyance as before... I only want my AV icon to have a red-cross displayed when something important needs doing, not just becasuse I forgot to do a back-up.... For that only 4-stars instead of 5. But Symantec continue to lead the field with their AV and internet protection products. The User interface is as usual great and well thought out so that a user with a minimum of knowledge would be comfortable using this product but you can also easily get "under the bonnet" to change firewall settings if required. Well worth the money, especially as you get 3 licences.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely delighted with this latest and greatest version!, 4 Jun 2009
Trip (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The installation was quick and painless. I previously had version 2.0 installed on my machine, I just popped in the disc and setup removed the previous installation before installing the new one. A reboot was required, but at no time is the machine left vulnerable as Norton's install begins the instant you log on after restarting.

The right-click menu for any file or folder in Explorer will now offer the ability to immediately scan that file or folder or add it or exclude it from Backup. This is an excellent feature too long missing from Norton 360. They used to have this on the pre-360 versions of Norton security and I am delighted to have it back. I'm all for anti-virus protecting me automatically "in the background", but purely for peace of mind I like to have the capability to manually scan something especially where so many files are transferred by email, download, and on usb devices and handhelds (including phones these days).

The PC Tuneup feature is excellent, I was able to disable unnecessary start-up items, and delay others to improve start-up performance with ease.

Norton also has an "Insight" feature which will scan for trusted files, and exclude them from repeated scanning, probably not a massive performance boost but an improvement nonetheless. I'm not sure if their Disk Optimization system is any better or worse than Windows built-in algorithms but in any event they are likely a necessary aspect of any performance tuning.

Another useful feature is the Registry Cleanup which will sanitise your registry of any orphaned keys or entries left after failed or partially-failed installs/uninstalls, again not a performance optimisation as such but definitely contributes to system stability.

360 now has 4GB of online Backup storage up from 2GB in version 2.0. I found the Backup a bit of a pain to initially setup, and I have it set to Manual backup so at least I can choose when to run it. You can also set the program to record Backup files to a dedicated drive instead of using the online storage, and have multiple "Backup Sets" configured differently.

Norton 360 version 3.0 is probably their easiest to use and most comprehensive version ever - it's absolutely fantastic and I can't recommend this product highly enough. For high security, peace of mind, ease of use, and value for money you won't do any better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars It keeps your PC efficient when you put the kettle on, 13 May 2009
The Honest Cynic (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Okay, the problem with antivirus software is that you install it, rather than fending off viruses it takes over the reigns and slows the whole thing down. At least my old Norton did (it came with BT Internet software over two years ago), constantly "updating" in the background, interrupting me while word processing. Grr.

I'm happy to say that Norton 360 worked straight away from the box. It installs quickly from the DVD and is ready to go once you've activated it.

From there it's plain sailing. No, I'm not trying to tie up the review quickly, but it's set to do everything automatically to keep your PC running efficiently. Although if you're THAT convinced you can stop reading now.

As soon as you leave your PC untouched for 10 minutes it will run scans in your absence to check the virus definitions are up to date and scan for threats. It's like a cleaner that climbs in through the window and clears out your clutter when you pop to the loo! You really don't have to do much unless you want to tweak settings. If that's you're thing, read on...

The main screen has been simplified to four panels, PC Security, to run scans or check for updates (mine were done four minutes ago, automatically), Identity Protection to configure credit card details (you may want to disable this while browsing if it gets irritating), Backup, where you get 2GB online storage for your files, and PC Tune Up to remove temporary files, internet history, registry clean up and Startup Manager, very useful for removing those programs that pop up when you boot up your PC.

As there are three licenses with the CD I installed it on a netbook too, which is done by downloading the programme from the internet and entering the activation key - that's it.
I didn't notice any slowing down of the netbook at all, which shows how efficient Norton 360 is when it comes to issues like battery life for your laptop.

And on a final note about power consumption, when doing a manual scan or cleanup, there is the option to shut down the PC when it's done scanning, so you can set it to scan without having to worry about the electricity bill. Nice.

So that's it. Install and put your feet up. When it needs attention (not often) it will notify you and tell you how to fix it, then you can go back to what you were doing without having to worry.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice upgrade when you're ready to renew, 6 May 2009
D. Brown "Blogging at Tweedling, avid reader ... (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will admit to some degree of scepticism whenever a software package launches an upgraded version, however, Norton 360 v3.0 does seem to have some nice improvements. I had been running an earlier version of Norton and had been very happy with the features. I decided to upgrade to v3.0 as I was nearing my renewal date.

Norton boasts fast start up times, scan times and rapid installation and I can confirm that these are not idle boasts. The scans took very little time at all and Norton caused very little interference at start up or whilst I was running my laptop. The installation process was straightforward and fast, as was registration.

Although not all the features are new, the v3.0 version seems to provide an excellent service for keeping your PC "clean and tidy", including PC tune up for clearing unnecessary files and defragmenting the hard drive. Additionally the diagnostic services offer good recommendations for ways to improve the performance of your computer.

I showed Norton 360 v3.0 to my partner who professes to being anything but "technologically minded". He too found it easy to use and keep up to date.

Norton's one failing is the size of the updates. When I accessed the internet from a dial-up connection Norton repeatedly failed to update. However, from a broadband connection the updates were rapidly downloaded and installed. Therefore, this is not necessarily the best choice if you're struggling on a slow connection. Otherwise, I'd certainly recommend it for new users. As for existing users, it's a nice upgrade but wait until renewal time to fork out your pennies. The features are good but don't necessarily warrant wasting an existing licence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic suite of Internet Security for the home and office., 30 April 2009
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A brilliant update of all the best Norton security tools, programs and gadgets, bringing them together into one neat, efficient and family friendly package.
It installs on the PC from the familiar installation screen with fast and efficient fashion, and makes quick work of bringing together a firewall, anti virus, and other useful things into one screen. (Though it can be installed onto 3 PC's if your a multi computer household, a nice display of lateral thinking from a forward thinking company in recognition of the laptop generation we have become.) The updating of the virus definitions is now done in the background, and takes place so seamlessly that I was checking a few times just to make sure it had actually worked, before I totally relaxed and trusted it to be my online champion. It doesnt slow the machine down at all, which is an astounding achievement to have reached as this was becoming a real issue with all anti virus and security programs in the last few years. For me though the most useful addition was the fully updated and automated back up program, which has made even this chore something so simple that I am now as totally protected against the worst case scenario as it is possible to be. If your going to get Norton Internet Security or Anti Virus, it is worth shelling out a few more pounds to get this as it has so much more for your money.
Another award winning product from them, and one I am proud to be an advocate of. Norton: All you need to sum it up is two words really.
It works. And you know what?
It really does.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round! And essential for households with 2 or 3 machines!, 21 April 2009
Russtafarian (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been using Norton products for about 10 years now. I was first introduced to their anti-virus software by a friend, back when I used Windows 98se! I've never looked back.

I remember thinking the cost was way over the top for what it did, but looking back, with the number of viruses that have appeared, this software has potentially saved me hundreds, if not a couple of thousand pounds in damages/corruptions of my old machines.

This new Norton 360 v3, is essentially the same a v2, but obviously with updates more suitable for Windows Vista. (It also runs on Windows XP SP2). It literally is an all in one defense for your machine, and does provide peace of mind.

The anti-virus element is the biggest "selling point" of this package, to me anyway. Of course, with every update/version of Windows, more viruses are created, so sadly keeping up to date with your defence is pretty much the norm' with running a computer. This v3 version, like the v2, protects you from viruses, spyware, trojan horses, worms, bots, and rootkits... all aided by a two-way firewall (which hardly ever interrupts you). There is of course continual scanning made during your time on your machine, which has never caused me noticeable slow down when I'm working.
Protecting you from the above programs help avoid the fear of online fraud, whether it be a dodgy email, or a dodgy website.. how many fake banking emails have there been in the last few years!!??

If you have two or three computers in your household, the value of this package is totally justified. (Provided your machines run on Vista or XP.) The software adds protection for your home network (if you have one), but the great bonus, for laptop users, is the security used when using a wireless hotspot, which helps avoid anyone hacking you remotely.

The PC tune-up utility has always been my choice of preference... I always found the defragging far quicker than the built-in Microsoft version. With previous Nortons, you can scan your machine for not only viruses, but with the tune-up you can scan for faults on your hard disc, as well as opting to remove cluttersome files that take up unnecessary space, plus other small hints and tip son how to keep your machine running smoothly.

The back-up feature is something I have never used, I'm afraid to say. I've always been a keen back-up'er since the old days, so I tend to file things on CD and DVD, but there is the available 2GB of online storage with this package... that's quite a heft amount for the average user. How many of you do more than use Word and take photographs? (For those who actually use big files, like designers and musicians, you probably have a decent back-up facility to hand.) Either way, having the back-up storage should be seen as a nice little extra, regardless of whether you use it or not.

All in all, I've never had an issue using Norton over the years, and can quite happily recommend this version of Norton 360. As said before, this pretty much a essential defence for your machine - even more so if your household has 2 or 3 computers! The cost alone, spread over 3 machines, is a bargain. Would you rather buy 3 new computers? I don't think so.

5/5

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, with the usual Norton problems, 18 April 2009
Mr. L. N. Taylor "lntaylor3" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The write up says that Norton 360 works quietly in the background causing minimal disruption. Norton 360 does an absolutely super job (like all Norton products), and I wouldn't consider using any competitor software. However, in common with all things Norton, it may work quietly, but it DOES cause some very irritating disruptions. Background checks start running within minutes of the PC being left unused, and they can be a real pain when you try and start working again. The firewall can interfere with e-mail, and block access to some websites. You will need to check the settings, and ensure they are set correctly. If all else fails, Norton technicians are available online free of charge, and they are always very helpful. Tuneup fixes problems that may cause slow running, and an excellent message facility warns of any dodgy websites or attacks & threats to your PC. Scan time is also quicker with 360 than standard Norton Security. This is a very good piece of software, and I definitely recommend it. I've used Norton for years, and I've never had any problems, other than those caused by over sensitive firewalls and constant background checks. I'm giving it 4 stars because I still find these glitches rather irritating.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Back-up from Norton, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Norton products keep your computer safe from unwanted intruders, but I do not agree with other reviewers about the back-up service. I have found it exceptionally bad. If you buy the product in the UK, the box carries a UK website and telephone number for support. I have found that the telephone simply carries a recorded message directing you to the website and the UK website automatically transfers you to the US website. The online chat often has a long queue and seems to be handled from India, where I have found the "analysts" poorly informed. A big warning to those thinking of buying any Norton product: if you have DSL/dial-up connection, forget about Norton as the updates cannot be downloaded without broadband. You will also find that Norton slows your computer down and blocks stuff you need. My printer failed for no reason. After screeds of instructions were received and followed from the printer manufacturer (HP) without any result, I disabled the Norton and found that the printer worked just fine. One other extremely important warning: when you order online using a credit card, the Symantec Corporation retain the card details and automatically take money from your account when the product is due for its annual renewal. If you do not want this to happen, you have to mark a little box which is deliberately well hidden on the website. My advice: do NOT buy Norton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Norton 360, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
Excellent product. 50% cheaper than Norton renewal. Easy install. Auto removal of old but maintains 'safe' data and all personal files inc passwords.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive product, 24 April 2009
Nathan (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit to falling out of favour with the likes of Symantec and McAfee as over the past few years their products have tended to become rather bloated and slow your computer down quite noticeably.

However, this latest offering from Symantec is very impressive not only because it encompasses all of your security needs. It contains an antivirus, antispyware, firewall protection, network protection, identity safety, browser protection, backup and restore facility, free support and a PC tuneup section.

And, certainly to me, the most impressive part is the slick installation procedure and the speed of the product. I barely noticed a slowdown on botup between having no antivirus and then installing this. The tuneup feature is also useful as it shows you the performance loss of each program that is set to start at Windows startup.

The other bonus, and more companies are doing this, is to offer a 3 user licence which allows installation on 3 home PCs, recognising that more and more families have more than 1 so you don't have to pay for several copies.

I am very pleased with this product and it took a lot to dump AVG.

Very recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 315 | Next ›

Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD)
Norton 360 v3.0, 3 User Licence (PC DVD) by Norton from Symantec (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Out of stock