on 2 October 2010
I bought these 18 months ago based on positive reviews and compatability with my new iPhone. My first pair broke after a few months, suddenly having no sound coming out from the right earpiece. I had a replacement with the same issue. The replacement for the replacement also had the same issue. Now my warranty has expired and the fourth pair I have unboxed (the replacement for the replacement's replacement) has just died on the right earpiece, the exact same defect as the last three times. Logitech support is also terrible, taking three whole months to receive a replacement pair the third time. Avoid this product like the plague!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 October 2011
I'm sick of reading all the negative comments about these earphones because they don't deserve them. i just want to review the sound quality of these earphones. in my opinion they sound amazing! and heres why...

These earphones use armature type speakers in them whereas most earphones use dynamic type speakers. armatures (in my opinion) produce a very natural and accurate sound. its like listening to your favourite band live, you can hear all the different instruments with beautiful clarity, with some songs it sounds like youre actually there! they have little bass because that is how the particular song is meant to sound! These earphones never exaggerate the bass like cheaper dynamic earphones do.

For all those people who thought these earphones sounded 'tiny' should give these another try, first 'burn them in' by playing music for about an hour at 60% volume. this should allow the armatures to settle. however, if all youre after is bass then stick to your dynamic type earphones, if you want clarity, precision and accuracy from your music then armature type earphones is the way forward.

i remember my first armature earphones, the shure se310, i was currently listening to the bose triport earphones and the shures at first sounded like a huge step down. but with time i realised just how good the shures were and how much more there was to music and how much i was missing. from then on i have only purchased armature type earphones. i wish more people did the same.

i hope this helps to any future purchasers of these earphones
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 May 2010
I have been in the market for in-ear, noise reducing earphones for a few years and have tried Shure e2c, Klipsch Custom 2 and lately these Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi. I am not the super enthusiast music lover that is going to do the finest analysis and spend 500GBP on earphones; what I want is good sounds quality, good noise reduction, and acceptable comfort. This time I also wanted to be able to use the earphones with my iPhone. The Klipsch have a very good sound and noise reduction but the plastic buds are not very comfortable. The transparent buds on these are not very comfortable either, but the comply foam are a great fit, in particular I can run and work out without having the earphones sliding out of my ears all the time. Also you can either wrap the cable around your ears for stability -good for running, but then you don't have the mic near your mouth- or just have it hang straight down -good for walking and using the phone.
A negative is the one-button remote, I would have preferred more buttons and more functions. Finally buying them on amazon was a really good deal.
on 23 September 2013
I bought these as my Shure SE215 were stolen. I prefer an earphone which fits within the shell of the ear, which has good isolation and which is designed to allow the cable to route up and over the ears. This is for comfort, convenience while active, and to avoid or minimise conduction of noise via the cable - so called "microphonics". I want to be able to walk and listen without hearing my footsteps thudding and the wind swirling around the earphones, and at home I want to be able to put my head down and not have the earphones snag or cause pressure. I also want enjoyable sound of course. Mostly I use IEMs with Rockboxed portable players (Sansa Fuze+, iRiver H140, iRiver H340) but also with domestic audio and hi-fi and PC headphone out.

Logitech bought Ultimate Ears and have rebranded the range, so for the moment you can sometimes find much the same product being sold very cheaply with the old branding, like these, or very expensively with the new branding. If I had chosen the new branding I would have had to pay about three times the price. Easy choice.

The fit will vary from person to person. The SuperFi 5vi are supplied with 2 pairs of expanding foam tips and some silicone tips in three different sizes: small, medium small, and OMG IT'S BIGFOOT! Who knows why?

For me, with the supplied tips, fit is pretty good but not perfect. The SuperFi 5vi are very small and extremely light so it's easy to slip the tip into the ear canal. The problem is that there isn't much to stop the earphones gradually moving back out again, which they may do over several hours. I wore these overnight a couple of times and found that the Comply (foam) tips can even fall out. The silicone tips don't stay perfectly in place if I walk a few miles. One thing you don't get with the SuperFi 5vi is some triple flange tips. Luckily I already had some cheap generics 12 X BLACK FLANGE REPLACEMENT SILICONE TIPS EARBUDS  for another product and these fitted the SuperFi perfectly. They don't look so pretty but they do go in easily, stay put, and isolate quite well.

The SuperFi 5vi does isolate well, better than all the Sennheiser CX type IEMs, but not quite as well as most Shure, some Klipsch, Etymotic and similar deep insertion IEMs. The difference is small and is mostly in the lowest frequencies such as traffic or machine noise.

The cable is too short. The SuperFi 5vi are designed so that the cable can route up and over the ear. This requires a slightly longer cable than for conventional "straight down in front" IEMs but unfortunately you do only get a 120cm cable just like if you had bought cheap buds. This isn't a huge deal but can get annoying because if you route the cable down your back and need to take your player out of your pocket you are stuck holding it down to the side by your waist.

Sound Quality:

The balanced armature driver does offer real clarity and precision. There is no danger of the sound ever seeming congested or muddled. Every sound seems to be amazingly distinct. As well as being welcome in itself this helps a lot in maintaining the illusion of a stereo image, a soundstage. In this respect these earphones are in a different league to the kind of earbuds you get with a phone/tablet/player and also better than amost all competing products and lots of more expensive earphones and headphones.

It's not all good news though. A single balanced armature driver absolutely relies on being sealed in the ear canal to produce any bass. Fit is crucial. If you can't get and maintain a good fit then the SuperFi 5vi will never please you.

There is decent bass (if the seal is perfect) but the idea that there is something natural or good about it being flat and competely unboosted is rubbish. That is true for loudspeakers but with an in ear monitor you're not experiencing air moving or sound being conducted through your bones and body. You need a few dB of bass boost to make IEMs sound and feel something like good loudspeakers. So these do feel quite lightweight - not terrible but a bit thin.

Some of the upper mid and high frequencies are rolled off and this is not a good quality or something you might not notice. One part of what is rolled off is the frequencies that include a lot of the harmonics of the human voice, sounds which make it seem alive and present. When frequencies between 2000 and 4000 Hz are very reduced then voices tend to sound recessed and dull because they lose their presence and timbre. You can say much the same about many instruments. This shortcoming is common with small headphones and in ear monitors.

Luckily if you have a player with a parametric equaliser you can go a very long way in correcting these IEMs so that they have that bit more warmth and depth in the bass and don't roll off the upper mids and highs so badly. With some EQ applied I like the sound of these IEMs a lot. I can really enjoy them now as their good qualities can shine.

These IEMs have extremely low impedance, a claimed 13 ohm. The single balanced armature driver basically does not work with my Hi-Fi amplifier's headphone output, nor with my PC's headphone out. Like other low impedance IEMs it hisses a little bit with my Sansa Fuze+ and iRiver players. It sounds nicely balanced with the portable Sony CD/Radio I have at home except it makes the most incredibly loud and intrusive hiss I have ever heard from a headphone. My other IEMs and headphones all work at least OK with all the above. These SuperFi 5vis definitely can't do double duty as home audio earphones - they are strictly for portable devices with a low impedance headphone output. Any good quality phone or audio player will be fine.

I didn't test the microphone or remote control as I'm using these with non-Apple audio players, not fruity phones.

I couldn't recommend these unreservedly because you could run into compatibility issues and might have no way to correct the frequency response (if you feel the need), so if your player/amp/combo has a high impedance headphone out or doesn't have a decent equaliser you might never be able to enjoy the sound.

On the other hand if you have a personal player with sensible specs and/or a decent equaliser, or a PC or player with line out to a dedicated headphone amp then you could find you enjoy these IEMs a huge amount. I find I can easily forgive the design idiosyncrasies because the sound is, in the end, fantastic. For someone else with different hardware and expectations it could go either way so my suggestion would be to avoid the full price Ultimate Ears 600vi Noise-Isolating Headset Logitech branded version but definitely consider spending a few pennies on these massively discounted Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi.

edit: I found a source of really good value, comfortable foam tips: 3 Pairs, Black - fits medium to large ears - "Squish Fit" memory foam earphone cushions The material of these is just like Shure foam tips, they are very slightly longer than the Comply tips and squash down and expand better so they stay in indefinitely and don't move at all. They fit the SuperFi 5vi perfectly and for me give the best isolation and comfort. If the SuperFi 5vi came with these tips I would give them 5 stars because they are now as comfortable as my old Shures and isolate at least as well and sound great.
on 23 November 2010
I like these earphones which give the best sound of any earphones I've ever owned. The only important aspect of these earphones is that you need to ensure you use the right ear-buds for your respective ears.

The only reason I can only give three stars is that I'm now on my third pair since September 2009. I don't need to pay for replacement as they are under warranty, however, averaging only 5 months of use before developing a fault is appalling for any earphone irrespective of price. I use the supplied carrying case when not in use so I shudder to think how long they would last without the case.

Update: now having problems with Logitech customer service in obtaining satisfaction under their two year warranty. If their product does not last/function they should be bending over backwards to put things right rather than make things difficult - moving from three to one star.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 8 November 2011
I don't really over-stress my headphones: I wear them on the daily commute, on the tube and on the train to blot out the noise of other commuters.
The sound from these phones was ok at the £40 price point I paid. I wouldn't say they're any better than the Sennheiser, Philips or even Sony phones I've used before. The buds themselves are poor, but I replaced them with Sennheiser buds so that's no problem.
But the thing that really annoyed me about these headphones is that after 5 months they just stopped working; a faulty connection in the cable just above where the jack plugs into the mp3 player. That's really shoddy. I'd expect any headphone at this price to be a lot more robust.
My advice would be to steer clear and go for some kind of sports headphones instead to get that extra robustness.
on 15 September 2010
In 20 years of earphone buying, this is the single worst in ear experience I've ever endured. The free phones that came with the 1989 gameboy had better response in the lower register.
And yes, you will on occasion pick out elements of your music that had previously gone unnoticed, but this isn't due to quality - this is because everything under about 300hz is simply not there. In fact, the general sound reproduction is muddy and flat.
Build quality: immediately as you take them in your hands, the inferior quality at connective points such as the jack and the telephone mic jumps out at you. They will fall out of your ears with such frequency you'll feel like a public spectacle. The ear buds fail time and time again, and the Comply foam counterparts included are only marginally better. The falling out problem is so persistent that the makers themselves suggest wrapping the wire around your ear for added support (which makes for a very short flex and completely removes the ability to take calls while wearing them).
I paid £50 after postage, and this quality would only have passed muster if I bought them for under a fiver on a market stall as a single day stopgap - I say this not for effect, I'm genuinely making the point that at five pounds I'd have accepted there is a lower limit with these sorts of things, and you get what you pay for. I've owned a wide range of earphones and systems across the price spectrum, and this is by far the worst thing I've ever paid money for - absolutely shocking product. I want to rate at zero stars. Buyer beware.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I would never have spent this much on earphones so was pleased to be able to test some for Vine. I was dubious about there being any discernible difference in sound quality between these and more affordable headphones. I was wrong to doubt though- these are markedly superior.

I was quite taken aback at how much clearer than my previous earphones these are (I was using a mid-range Sennheiser pair before). I find that I can have my mp3 player at half the volume I did previously and it still sounds louder and clearer than before. The ear buds have excellent noise-reduction too. I find the noise from other people's earphones endlessly irritating and often end up listening to my mp3 player purely in order to block out someone else's- just putting these earphones in, without the mp3 player on, is enough to cut out most background noise.

Looks-wise, they're nice and fairly inconspicuous. The only thing letting them down on the aesthetics side is the really cheap-looking hard case they come with. It's dark grey plastic and looks like a slight upgrade on a Kinder egg toy case. However, they are true to their word and despite the tight squeeze to get the long cable into the horrible case, the wires don't tend to tangle or knot. They also come with additional silicon and foam ear buds so you should be able to find a good fit.

Am I converted to expensive earphones? Quite possibly. I will be giving serious consideration to forking out for these when the current ones need to be replaced.
on 23 January 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There are apparently similar products available for 20% of the price of this equipment. So you should expect enormous care in manufacture and quality and attention to detail in design. These earphones demonstrate beyond doubt that this kind of price differerential can be justified. The design is a triumph of efficiency and convenience - the only criticism I can offer is that the cable can transmit the sounds of movement in some circumstances. Extended use provides no discomfort or weariness.

The sound is equally impressive. You are sufficiently isolated to listen to music without the external environment becoming intrusive, but not completely or artifically remote. They are very efficient and as a result really deliver the attack that is missing from any alternative. The sound is beautifully extended and completely neutral. Of course this can be disconcerting with inferior material - careless or older original recordings show their faults rather too well. Conversely the detail available in quality recordings is quite astounding when you begin to listen attentively. There is none of the horribly exaggerated and muddy bass or falsely rendered bright tones that seem to provide superficial attraction to many but quickly become tiresome.

If you are interesting in listening to music you probably spend a great deal of money on recordings and playback equipment. If you can afford them I am sure that you will be completely satisfied with these earphones and judge it money well spent...

...or perhaps not - since my initial review and within three weeks of careful use these developed a fault: one earpiece not working, the other intermittent. Logitech expect the retailer to provide support within the first 12 months of purchase, so buy from a reputable seller!
on 8 May 2011
I've had these buds for coming up to a year now and looking back on my time with them I have mixed feelings...
Like most people I had done (what I thought was extensive) research reading review after review about these UE's. Reading about them is not the same thing as testing them out for yourself. Would love to be able to "borrow" a set of earphones for a week before deciding whether or not I should depart with my hard earned. Unfortunately, I know not a retailer that will allow this, so ultimately, I believe it boils down to the individual setting a budget, doing their due diligence and taking the plunge of "Proceed To Check Out".
Receiving the item through Amazon was pretty painless, with the buds landing on my doormat within 48 hours of "place order". The buds came with a nice array of different size earbuds including the exceptionally brilliant foam buds. They contour the ear canal and sit snugly. They last about 5 months before they inevitably fall to pieces. I ordered a new pair of the foams (they really are that good) and during the wait I "popped the plastic ones in". These are disappointing!! I tried all three, S, M, L to get the comfiest fit and I got a decent sound fit out the M's. BUT, the buds would simply fall out if I was chewing gum. The movement of my jaw would dislodge the snug fit. Very annoying as being on the tube in the evening, my only option was to either spit the gum out or swallow. I couldn't bring myself to do either and was forced to pop the buds back in every 12.5 chews.
They come with a holder so that they are protected when not in use and the wires can be neatly folded away. A nice touch and quite discreet even if very cheap and plastic looking - UE could of course not thrown this "extra" in.
The earphones, in my opinion are quite heavy sitting in my ear canals. Not uncomfortable heavy, but you definitely know they are there heavy. Popping them in before turning the music on and you can hear your own footsteps when walking. The music is clear with nice bass, and mid-range. I mainly listen to Hip-Hop and R&B and can say that listening to my tunes is a pleasure with these buds. Popping the wire over the ear is a no-no as they sit very unnatural and uncomfortable. Being heavy, as I just mentioned, means that within seconds of minor movement they fall downwards anyway. Also having them over the ear, moves the Mic further away from your mouth. Thought having the Mic on the earphones would be a neat gadget instead of having to juggle unplugging the buds, answering the phone and not dropping anything. Truth is that having both buds in my ears and taking a call sounds very "echo-ie" and coupled with hearing my footsteps and all the background noise makes answering a call with these buds a no-no for me.
Forget gym-ing it with these buds. Again, with them being heavy and hearing foot-steps makes it unpleasant for listening to anything with them and the major defect being the buds falling out of my ear canals.
Coming back to the snug fit of the foam buds, this makes these buds as close to noise cancelling as possible (if sitting down and not moving). Again the music is clear with vocals performing well, mid-range being clear and a nice little thump-thump with the bass output. They can handle volume being high, although I'm very proud of my hearing and like to keep the volume on my iPod below the half way mark - they still perform nicely with all the "che-che" high's and "boom-boom" lows even at 50%.
So all in all, they have their defects, mostly with the weight and hearing the footsteps palaver BUT the music quality is really good. Juggle this with the fact they are a £50-100 pair of buds, they are overpriced as an overall package. Personally, I will love them whilst they still deliver the crisp music. When (not if) they die, I more than likely will NOT be purchasing another set of Ultimate Ears earbuds. But long may they live...