5.0 out of 5 stars A console for all ages
I purchased my dsi after previously owning ds lite and playing it until it no longer worked. I really enjoyed the variety of games I could play on my ds so I needed a new one to replace and went for the dsi in red.

Published on 13 Oct 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the browser
Well, it certainly is a desirable little object, and the cameras, despite being only 0.3mp, offer so many options for messing about with your pictures, that you almost don't need game cartridges. The new user interface is stylish and appealing, and wireless setup is as painless as you would expect from Nintendo.

However, the downloadable Opera web browser is...
Published on 6 April 2009 by Ian D. Woodbridge

5.0 out of 5 stars A console for all ages, 13 Oct 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

The dsi for those of you who don't know is a handheld games console made by nintendo. The games come on little cartridges which which slot neatly into the back of the console and vary from adventure games, puzzle games, football games, cooking games, health games basically every kind of game you can think of most of the games available to play on the wii are also available on the ds. The ds also has its own games specifically deigned for it.

The dsi is a rectangular shape which you open by flicking a little switch at the front once its open inside you will find 2 3.25-inch screen one in the top bit one which is touch screen in the bottom (imagine you are opening a book ). It also has two 0.3 megapixel cameras one which faces you as you play and one on the back of the console the mega pixel quality is not high put is ok as an added feature and there are fun programmes you can play like taking pictures of you and friends and seeing how 'related' you are. The sound quality is good most games can be played with or without sound I usually play without to save annoying other people lol though you can put earphones if you want to. It also has a SD memory card slot you can save picures onto although you probably won't need this as you can save 421 picures onto the console itself and it saves the pictures in a album and on a calender so you can see when you took it.

The dsi is slightly thiner than my previous ds lite but has a bigger clearer screen. Another feature is dsi sound which allows you to record yourself then play with the sounds you make you can also play your own music this isn't really a feature I use but for sound fans it could be fun.

The dsi also has as shop where games and applications can be downloaded through wifi connection.

When playing a game the dsi is controlled by either a stylus which is like the little pen you get with touch screen phones these days or you can use the arrow controllers and 'x'y'a'b' buttons similar to a playstation and xbox pad which can be found inside the console or the the L and R keys found on each corner each game needs to be controlled in different ways but don't worry its quick to pick up as you go along.

I can definatley recommend the dsi over the ds lite as it's extra features including camera make it more fun you are also able to use the console for general internet browsing access which adds to the entertainment value of the console. The wide variety of games available for the console also means I constantly have something to keep me entertained. I am 26 years old and especially enjoy the challenging puzzle games such as professor Layton and Jewel quest I also like the cooking step by step guides and have found using the walk with me game where my steps are monitored daily and then downloaded on to by dsi to be motivational in getting me to move more. The dsi has something for all ages it's something the whole family can enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awsome..., 4 April 2009
David Vick (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black) (Video Game)
I have forever looked at the DS Lite's title screen and felt disappointed about how little it could do. Now, the DSi has everything you ever wanted.

Hardware:
The DSi is a bit longer and a bit thinner, but you wouldn't notice. The matte finish is much better than the glossy finish of the DS Lite, as there will be no more finger prints, but it is prone to becoming dirty. The screens are 0.25 inches bigger, which may not sound like a lot, but it is definitely noticable when you step from the DS lite to the DSi. There is no more GBA slot, but that doesn't really matter. The volume controls are now buttons, which is much better for keeping sound quiet in public areas, but not so much so that YOU can't hear it. There is now a power button on the inside that can also return to the menu. The speakers are better and louder when you want it. There is a 0.3 MP camera next to the microphone on the inside of the hinge and one on the outside. The stylus is longer and fatter. There is an SD Card slot aswell for photos and music. Internally, there is a faster processor which games in the future will utilise.

Software:
The Wii-like menu looks very nice and is easy to use. Game cards can now be hotswapped (changed without having to turn off the system). The DSi Shop allows you to download games or DSiWare, of which there are inceasing numbers all the time, as well as the brilliant, free DSi Web Browser, which is much faster and better than expected, but cannot run Flash unfortunately. When you first log on the the DSi Shop, you get 1,000 free points (offer until march 2010 I think).

The DSi camera is only 0.3 MP, but that is enough for use on the console. There are some fun effects you can add too like Distortion Lens, Colour Pad, Mirror etc. The camera has face recognition for some effects, and there will be DSi exclusive games coming out in the future that use this feature. DSi Sound is another good program, allowing you to record sounds and play with them. More importantly, music on the SD card can be played with some fun equaliser graphics, and be slowed down and speeded up if, say, it was a learn a language CD and you wanted to slow the words down. I takes AAC files which means that you can put on your iTunes collection (but you must convert it in iTunes first). There your old favourites too: Picto Chat and DS Download Play. And remember, there is a huge library of great DS games, that this will still play (except Guitar Hero due to the GBA slot)

Overall:
This is a great console. If you have already have a DS Lite, it is a little expensive to upgrade, and I would wait to the prices come down. If not, i would fully recomend it and say that it is better than the iPod Touch and PSP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just What I'm Waiting For..., 17 Aug 2009
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Well, having gone through alot of trouble trying to get a DSi, I hoped it would be worth it. And it defineately was! The problem I always had with the old versions of the DS was that it was just a games console, nothing else, it jus played games. That's why I spent time trying to find games that were like tools (e.g.the web browser game you could buy). But the DSi has met my expectations.

It's cameras may be low res, but do we expect them to be 10 megapixel super cameras? No, they're just for fun, and that's what some people are finding hard to grasp, the DSi is for enjoyment.

The DSiware was slow to load most of the time, as was the bowser, but it was very useful for good games like Wario snapped or apps lke Flipnote Studio. A problem I found though was that you couldn't link your WiiWare account with your DSiware account, so you had to buy separate points, but this won't be a problem for people who don't own a Wii.

I was dissapointed by the internet, as it didn't use a 3G connection or special Nintendo hotspot connection, but an extra cost would probably be added if this was the case. On the other hand, the wi-fi is easy to use if you are connecting to a free hotspot like McDonalds and your wi-fi at home is also simple to log on to, you can get surfing in a couple of minutes.

Overall, this is a brilliant update from the previous DS's, and next up will probaby be a DS with video recording and software for it. But this is perfect for me, being just 11 years old and just wanting to play around with photos and sounds for fun. Well Done Nintendo!

5.0 out of 5 stars My grandson's best birthday present, 15 Oct 2009
J. Sellers (UK) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My grandson aged 7 desperately wanted this for his birthday and has been thrilled with it ever since. However his Dad tells me that he is not totally obsessed by it as with other computer games because it is educational and non-violent and needs some brain input. So it has been much appreciated by both children and adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best handheld console I own to date, 8 April 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought my Nintendo DSi white console on Friday [launch date] from somewhere else and I can say I love it. I've taken several photos and had fun using the software to distort my face. My back catalog of games work brill especially now they are played on bigger screens. I had to take 2 games back that required the GBA slot as they is no GBA slot in this console but who cares I never played on them. I've downloaded the web browser after the first update for my dsi and I like that too. I bought plenty of accessories being - a new car charger, flip and play case, USB charge cable and some game cases.

Parents some advice - If your children are asking for a DS, if they are under 9 years old then the DS Lite would be a better option but if your children are over 9 years old then the DSi is perfect. Just make sure you put restrictions on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 16 Nov 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this for my son for his 11th birthday. He already had a DS lite but wanted to upgrade so I said if he could sell his DS Lite then I would get him the new DSi. He sold the Lite on eBay!! We have had so much fun with the camera and "facewarp" facility. Before buying the DSi I wasn't convinced that it was such a good buy as the only difference between the DSlite and the DSi was the camera but would now fully recommend the DSi just for the laughs we have had. My older son (aged 14) has had enormous fun with the voice recorder because he does impersonations of people and then plays them back - you can speed it up or slow it down and it is very, very funny. Go on buy one!!

The colour is awesome too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nintendo DSi Handheld Console, 4 Jan 2010
Mrs. S. R. BARDEN-BRACE "Butterfly" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The DSi hand held console was a Christmas gift for my grandaughter ( aged 12) because this model comes with an integral camera and allows interaction it was her choice. She has found this to be easy to use and works with all her existing DS games. I recommend this to all game console players to seriously consider when upgrading, easy to pack away as it is small and light.

4.0 out of 5 stars dsi, 7 Feb 2010
Ms. J. J. Jackson (southend on sea) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
great compact game console my child is 5 and there are plenty of games aimed at him.The battery pack once charged lasts a long time so great for journeys.Lots of features he loves the camera

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with the DSi, 10 July 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black) (Video Game)
I wanted the DSi to make use of some of the exclusive features it would have. I didn't know about many of the other features that were awful fun. Thank you; this is a purchase worth making.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's great but..., 21 April 2009
J. Mcvittie "darkphoenix91" (England) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
i have owned my DSi for all of 35 mins and alreaddy am completely in love with it, the sound is better the screens are bigger and brighter, it has cool sound effects, fancy easy to use menus, and the camera ap effects are hilarious, however i was quite upset to find that they have removed the GBA game pack slot :( not that i have any games for it but i do have both of the guitar hero games that require the slot! its not as good on the DS as on a tv screen, but it's still pretty fun on the go. so now i will have to keep my old DS also just for that one game.
superior and superb console over all but was it really necessary to get rid of the GBA game pack slot? never the less i suggest its a great buy and deffinately worth it, especialy if you don't use old games. buy it, it's beautiful and you know it!

Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black)
Nintendo DSi Handheld Console (Black) by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
Used & New from: £38.00