Style Name: Stand-alone|Change
Price:£41.72+ Free shipping

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 November 2014
I have owned a few of the NiCad battery drills from B&D, and I haven't had a problem with their performance -- bar one thing. Most people looking at this, especially on a deal day as they usually are (I wonder why?), will be expecting to leave these in the cupboard for use as situations arise. The NiCad batteries discharge quite quickly when not in use, and after a while won't take a charge at all, rendering the drill-driver useless.. Maybe that's why you don't get a charge indicator light -- leaving you out of power and completely in the dark about it. And a replacement battery can cost as much as the drill in the first place.

I recommend paying slightly more for a device with Lithium batteries, because you can get years of use out of them. These ones here can literally be useless in six months, making this a very poor bargain indeed. If you have a one-off job like a patio deck, look at the 14.4 volt model with two batteries -- you can work with fewer breaks that way, as a full charge can take quite a few hours. I have a lot of experience here, so I thought I'd give a 'heads up' to take into consideration. Don't expect to have this in the cupboard for two years -- the batteries will have discharged long ago, probably won't even take a charge, and the whole thing will only be good for recycling.
66 comments|295 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2009
I bought this drill shortly after moving in to a new flat, after realising that I couldn't keep borrowing my mate's DeWalt tools forever; I decided I needed a drill of my own. My brother has this drill, and although he uses proper air tools at the garage (he's a Mechanic) he uses this 18v B&D drill at home. I knew the drill was excellent, because the battery lasts ages, and even with wire brushes in to clean metal parts the drill performs well.

I purchased mine after reading lots of reviews, on other sites too, and have not been disappointed! Be aware that the drill doesn't come with a carry case (in fairness, the pictures didn't show any case when I purchased - obviously changed since the other user submitted their review). For £40 it's a steal, and as an Amazon Prime subscriber it arrived the next day, even though I'd ordered it mid-late afternoon!

Excellent product, with a good warranty, supplied by an excellent retailer. Top marks.
11 comment|171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2013
I bought a Black & Decker EPC18 drill/screwdriver because I have since 2005 had a Black & Decker GTC 610 hedge trimmer and both the 18v batteries for the hedge trimmer have packed up. Rechargeable batteries are always disappointing, in my experience. It doesn't seem to matter what kind they are or what brand; I'm lucky to get four years' use out of them.

I had a difficult choice: throw away a perfectly good hedge trimmer or buy a new battery for it. A new battery would cost me £30, but a drill with a battery is only £10 more. Even though I don't need another drill, I bought one anyway. This is what I discovered:

1. First, the good news. Even though the 2013 battery has only two terminals and no heat fuse (unlike the 2005 and 2006 batteries), it fits the hedge trimmer and is a good replacement battery for it. The same battery will have to serve both tools, but that's not a big problem as I wouldn't want to use a hedge trimmer and a drill at the same time.

2. Now, the surprise. To charge the battery for the drill, you fit the battery to the drill and plug the charger into a socket at the back of the drill. The instructions are very poor; Figure D, which is meant to show how to charge the battery using the charger plug, shows the charger plug in the wrong place, which could mislead anyone who relies on printed instructions. I had expected the drill to come with a charger receptacle, like my hedge trimmer, so you can charge one battery while using a second battery on the tool. You can't do that here. There may be two different models, an EPC18CA that you charge from a charger plug and an EPC18CAB that you charge from a charger receptacle. Watch out, if this matters to you.

3. Turning to the drill itself. Well, it's Chinese built and looks better in a photo than it does in the flesh. It's very plasticky. I haven't put it to the test with a long or heavy job, but it seems to work perfectly well with the double screwdriver bit provided. It doesn't seem good value at £40. I would not have chosen to pay £40 for it if I hadn't needed the battery.

4. The battery is disproportionately large and heavy for quite a small drill. It doesn't seem well balanced in the hand. But there may be benefits from high voltage and a big battery.

Although Amazon advertise this as having a 1.2Ah battery, the specification on p.10 of the manual says it's a NiCd battery of 1.0 Ah. It says the same thing on the supplied A18E battery. The A18NH battery (not supplied) is said to be NiMH and 1.5 Ah
on 4 August 2009
Be aware that all you get is ONE battery, the drill and a charger. Not a second battery and case as in the image.
33 comments|82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2009
good drill for small to medium jobs,no case or docking charger you plug the power into the drill to charge!
on 15 January 2011
Got mine today, and found as mentioned in one review (if you can take the time to read them all), that it does not come with a "Battery Charger", meaning in my book, a device that you drop the battery in to that charges the battery, every other similar product I have owned (probably 3 or 4) has come with such a device. The B & D charges the battery "in situ", so a DC wall plug adaptor is used to connect to the drill and it charges the battery which is installed in that drill. You cannot even connect the DC charger directly to the battery so cannot charge a battery without tying up the tool too.

Worse still there is no LED light to tell you it is charging, or charge status (e.g. charge complete) means you are completely in the dark over battery status while charging.
You can't charge one battery (if I buy a spare( while using another)
and in my opiniong theis Wall plug DC adaptor likely to be lost, our house full of unidentifiable similar things for MP3 players, mobile phones, etc

Its not a good idea, and spoils the pleasure of owning a good quality cordless power tool, (once it is charged and in your hand)

Manual is useless, it shows the a charging dock in two different diagrams and mentions it in the manual yet it does not tell you it is an option, and does not give you a part number or model number so you can order one if you want.

B & Ds website not much better, been looking a while and still can't find a battery charger for it.

Lots more Googling and I found this: [...], the price is 50% more than I just paid for the item!

Thinking of returning the item,
on 30 July 2009
good drill, well built as you'd expect from black and decker. and very lightweight.
However picture illustrates the drill with a carry case, which i presumed would be included. Took delivery this morning and no case was included. A little disappointed. dont be mis led by the pictures!!
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2009
As usual I fiund Amazon's service excellant, and the producy I purchased, Black & Decker 18V cordless Drill everything i expected it to be!
thank you.
C Heath
on 24 January 2010
Black & Decker 18V Cordless DrillI was very pleased with the 14volt cordless Black & Decker drill I own, and so after stupidly loosing its charger I went in for the 18volt version. Like the 14 volt version, this 18volt drill performs all the tasks asked of it without fuss. Unlike the 14volt version with its inferior screw-driver bits of various sizes, the single srewdriver bit that came with the 18volt drill is up to the job and so the purchase of hard metal bit's was not found necessary. This drill is a lot lighter than others I've used in the past and is not tiring on the wrist even when working in awkward corners. Well recommended.
11 comment|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2016
I bought this to use in a fixed application. Lifting/lowering a table top suspended on cables.
NOT as a 'normal' cordless drill. It was also at reduced price in the Amazon Warehouse.
I (correctly) guessed that an 18V drill with 750rpm top speed should have good torque.
In my application it would get 5 stars. The reason for 3 stars is to reflect the general and intended use.

The chuck has a flimsy feel and is only 10mm, which restricts the use of large jobber and masonry drills.
Small drills (for metal) are going to take ages to cut at the slow spindle speed.
Small shank, or hex shank wood bits should be good.
Small masonry drills will be OK.
Screwdriving will be good with the low speed.

There is one battery, that is recharged while on the drill, and it is a slow recharge.
Definitely not a tool for anything vaguely like intensive use.

If you very occasionally drill a few holes. But don't want to spend, then this is OK.
But don't forget that you need to top up the battery every month or two.
This is a NiCd battery which will have a significant self discharge rate.
If you don't top up for months, then it can be damaged.

If you have just moved house, or are embarking on a significant project, then save up for something better.