Style Name: Stand-alone|Change

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 November 2014
I have owned a few of the NiCad battery drills from B&D, and I haven't had a problem with their performance -- bar one thing. Most people looking at this, especially on a deal day as they usually are (I wonder why?), will be expecting to leave these in the cupboard for use as situations arise. The NiCad batteries discharge quite quickly when not in use, and after a while won't take a charge at all, rendering the drill-driver useless.. Maybe that's why you don't get a charge indicator light -- leaving you out of power and completely in the dark about it. And a replacement battery can cost as much as the drill in the first place.

I recommend paying slightly more for a device with Lithium batteries, because you can get years of use out of them. These ones here can literally be useless in six months, making this a very poor bargain indeed. If you have a one-off job like a patio deck, look at the 14.4 volt model with two batteries -- you can work with fewer breaks that way, as a full charge can take quite a few hours. I have a lot of experience here, so I thought I'd give a 'heads up' to take into consideration. Don't expect to have this in the cupboard for two years -- the batteries will have discharged long ago, probably won't even take a charge, and the whole thing will only be good for recycling.
66 comments|252 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2009
Be aware that all you get is ONE battery, the drill and a charger. Not a second battery and case as in the image.
33 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 May 2013
I bought a Black & Decker EPC18 drill/screwdriver because I have since 2005 had a Black & Decker GTC 610 hedge trimmer and both the 18v batteries for the hedge trimmer have packed up. Rechargeable batteries are always disappointing, in my experience. It doesn't seem to matter what kind they are or what brand; I'm lucky to get four years' use out of them.

I had a difficult choice: throw away a perfectly good hedge trimmer or buy a new battery for it. A new battery would cost me £30, but a drill with a battery is only £10 more. Even though I don't need another drill, I bought one anyway. This is what I discovered:

1. First, the good news. Even though the 2013 battery has only two terminals and no heat fuse (unlike the 2005 and 2006 batteries), it fits the hedge trimmer and is a good replacement battery for it. The same battery will have to serve both tools, but that's not a big problem as I wouldn't want to use a hedge trimmer and a drill at the same time.

2. Now, the surprise. To charge the battery for the drill, you fit the battery to the drill and plug the charger into a socket at the back of the drill. The instructions are very poor; Figure D, which is meant to show how to charge the battery using the charger plug, shows the charger plug in the wrong place, which could mislead anyone who relies on printed instructions. I had expected the drill to come with a charger receptacle, like my hedge trimmer, so you can charge one battery while using a second battery on the tool. You can't do that here. There may be two different models, an EPC18CA that you charge from a charger plug and an EPC18CAB that you charge from a charger receptacle. Watch out, if this matters to you.

3. Turning to the drill itself. Well, it's Chinese built and looks better in a photo than it does in the flesh. It's very plasticky. I haven't put it to the test with a long or heavy job, but it seems to work perfectly well with the double screwdriver bit provided. It doesn't seem good value at £40. I would not have chosen to pay £40 for it if I hadn't needed the battery.

4. The battery is disproportionately large and heavy for quite a small drill. It doesn't seem well balanced in the hand. But there may be benefits from high voltage and a big battery.

Although Amazon advertise this as having a 1.2Ah battery, the specification on p.10 of the manual says it's a NiCd battery of 1.0 Ah. It says the same thing on the supplied A18E battery. The A18NH battery (not supplied) is said to be NiMH and 1.5 Ah
on 30 July 2009
good drill, well built as you'd expect from black and decker. and very lightweight.
However picture illustrates the drill with a carry case, which i presumed would be included. Took delivery this morning and no case was included. A little disappointed. dont be mis led by the pictures!!
22 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 February 2016
I bought this to use in a fixed application. Lifting/lowering a table top suspended on cables.
NOT as a 'normal' cordless drill. It was also at reduced price in the Amazon Warehouse.
I (correctly) guessed that an 18V drill with 750rpm top speed should have good torque.
In my application it would get 5 stars. The reason for 3 stars is to reflect the general and intended use.

The chuck has a flimsy feel and is only 10mm, which restricts the use of large jobber and masonry drills.
Small drills (for metal) are going to take ages to cut at the slow spindle speed.
Small shank, or hex shank wood bits should be good.
Small masonry drills will be OK.
Screwdriving will be good with the low speed.

There is one battery, that is recharged while on the drill, and it is a slow recharge.
Definitely not a tool for anything vaguely like intensive use.

If you very occasionally drill a few holes. But don't want to spend, then this is OK.
But don't forget that you need to top up the battery every month or two.
This is a NiCd battery which will have a significant self discharge rate.
If you don't top up for months, then it can be damaged.

If you have just moved house, or are embarking on a significant project, then save up for something better.
on 16 January 2016
did not last too long. it started having problems and was replaced with another brand
on 5 October 2015
This will teach me to read the reviews before purchasing in future. I already have this drill with two batteries and love it so thought I'd buy another only it proved not to be same drill at all. It's smaller, only has the one battery and as someone else has pointed out no separate charger which is a stupid idea as you cannot use a second battery whilst the other one is on charge. I can't believe they still haven't added a light to tell you when the damned thing has fully charged! If I didn't have another with two batteries and a charger and only this one I would be sending it back for a refund. B&D have always had a reputation for good DIY tools, supposedly not quite up to 'trade' level but I have several corded drills, two with metal bodies that are still going strong after over 40 years of use as a theatre carpenter, boat builder, kitchen fitter, car mechanic and handy man but maybe time has caught up with B&D, kids who went through school never doing woodwork and metalwork have grown up, left design college and are now employed designing B&D's tools with no idea what the real world is like. Save up and buy Makita cordless lithium........
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2012
Wouln not have bought if I had reliased no Gearbox to change from drilling to screwing. No spare battery. Speed to fast for screw driving. Chuck does not lock easily.
on 3 May 2015
With a NiCd battery this isn't going to be as long lasting or useful as a drill with a Li-ion battery..BUT..for the price it isn't bad. No the battery won't keep its charge for too long & it will eventually become useless... but I had the last drill with this type of battery [& it got a real hammering] for over 5 years before failing..
on 5 June 2015
The chuck on this never worked when it arrived. The instructions for charging don't apply to this one even though it says it's one of 2 pictures the charger point is in a different place. Hubby liked the drill itself but obviously wanted a working one - so I gave it 3 stars. Amazon didn't quibble about a return though and I was refunded as soon as it was collected so they deserve credit for that too. We ended up buying one from Argos (not something I like doing at all when Amazon is usually cheaper but we needed it that day) and bought the same type but with variable speed. I paid more but it worked (sorry but that is important!) and the charger point is in a better place and matches the instructions on this one! It also came in a nice sturdy case which makes much more sense with the dangers that come with these batteries.