5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value B&D drill
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by M. Dexter

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading images
Be aware that all you get is ONE battery, the drill and a charger. Not a second battery and case as in the image.
Published on 4 Aug 2009 by Prunella

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value B&D drill, 4 Sep 2009
M. Dexter (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black & Decker EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill/Driver (DIY & Tools)
I bought this drill shortly after moving in to a new flat, after realising that I couldn't keep borrowing my mate's DeWalt tools forever; I decided I needed a drill of my own. My brother has this drill, and although he uses proper air tools at the garage (he's a Mechanic) he uses this 18v B&D drill at home. I knew the drill was excellent, because the battery lasts ages, and even with wire brushes in to clean metal parts the drill performs well.

I purchased mine after reading lots of reviews, on other sites too, and have not been disappointed! Be aware that the drill doesn't come with a carry case (in fairness, the pictures didn't show any case when I purchased - obviously changed since the other user submitted their review). For 40 it's a steal, and as an Amazon Prime subscriber it arrived the next day, even though I'd ordered it mid-late afternoon!

Excellent product, with a good warranty, supplied by an excellent retailer. Top marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent innexpensive cordless drill, 24 Jan 2010
L. W. Goddard "coachmann" (N Wales) - See all my reviews
Black & Decker 18V Cordless DrillI was very pleased with the 14volt cordless Black & Decker drill I own, and so after stupidly loosing its charger I went in for the 18volt version. Like the 14 volt version, this 18volt drill performs all the tasks asked of it without fuss. Unlike the 14volt version with its inferior screw-driver bits of various sizes, the single srewdriver bit that came with the 18volt drill is up to the job and so the purchase of hard metal bit's was not found necessary. This drill is a lot lighter than others I've used in the past and is not tiring on the wrist even when working in awkward corners. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars good drill, 5 Sep 2009
good drill for small to medium jobs,no case or docking charger you plug the power into the drill to charge!

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading images, 4 Aug 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars black and decker 18 volt drill, 30 July 2009
good drill, well built as you'd expect from black and decker. and very lightweight.
However picture illustrates the drill with a carry case, which i presumed would be included. Took delivery this morning and no case was included. A little disappointed. dont be mis led by the pictures!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable DIY purchase, 18 May 2013
S Banks (U K) - See all my reviews
I bought a Black & Decker EPC18 drill/screwdriver because I have since 2005 had a Black & Decker GTC 610 hedge trimmer and both the 18v batteries for the hedge trimmer have packed up. Rechargeable batteries are always disappointing, in my experience. It doesn't seem to matter what kind they are or what brand; I'm lucky to get four years' use out of them.

I had a difficult choice: throw away a perfectly good hedge trimmer or buy a new battery for it. A new battery would cost me 30, but a drill with a battery is only 10 more. Even though I don't need another drill, I bought one anyway. This is what I discovered:

1. First, the good news. Even though the 2013 battery has only two terminals and no heat fuse (unlike the 2005 and 2006 batteries), it fits the hedge trimmer and is a good replacement battery for it. The same battery will have to serve both tools, but that's not a big problem as I wouldn't want to use a hedge trimmer and a drill at the same time.

2. Now, the surprise. To charge the battery for the drill, you fit the battery to the drill and plug the charger into a socket at the back of the drill. The instructions are very poor; Figure D, which is meant to show how to charge the battery using the charger plug, shows the charger plug in the wrong place, which could mislead anyone who relies on printed instructions. I had expected the drill to come with a charger receptacle, like my hedge trimmer, so you can charge one battery while using a second battery on the tool. You can't do that here. There may be two different models, an EPC18CA that you charge from a charger plug and an EPC18CAB that you charge from a charger receptacle. Watch out, if this matters to you.

3. Turning to the drill itself. Well, it's Chinese built and looks better in a photo than it does in the flesh. It's very plasticky. I haven't put it to the test with a long or heavy job, but it seems to work perfectly well with the double screwdriver bit provided. It doesn't seem good value at 40. I would not have chosen to pay 40 for it if I hadn't needed the battery.

4. The battery is disproportionately large and heavy for quite a small drill. It doesn't seem well balanced in the hand. But there may be benefits from high voltage and a big battery.

Although Amazon advertise this as having a 1.2Ah battery, the specification on p.10 of the manual says it's a NiCd battery of 1.0 Ah. It says the same thing on the supplied A18E battery. The A18NH battery (not supplied) is said to be NiMH and 1.5 Ah

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool ruined by terrible charging method., 15 Jan 2011
G. Gampell "guygamps" (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Got mine today, and found as mentioned in one review (if you can take the time to read them all), that it does not come with a "Battery Charger", meaning in my book, a device that you drop the battery in to that charges the battery, every other similar product I have owned (probably 3 or 4) has come with such a device. The B & D charges the battery "in situ", so a DC wall plug adaptor is used to connect to the drill and it charges the battery which is installed in that drill. You cannot even connect the DC charger directly to the battery so cannot charge a battery without tying up the tool too.

Worse still there is no LED light to tell you it is charging, or charge status (e.g. charge complete) means you are completely in the dark over battery status while charging.
You can't charge one battery (if I buy a spare( while using another)
and in my opiniong theis Wall plug DC adaptor likely to be lost, our house full of unidentifiable similar things for MP3 players, mobile phones, etc

Its not a good idea, and spoils the pleasure of owning a good quality cordless power tool, (once it is charged and in your hand)

Manual is useless, it shows the a charging dock in two different diagrams and mentions it in the manual yet it does not tell you it is an option, and does not give you a part number or model number so you can order one if you want.

B & Ds website not much better, been looking a while and still can't find a battery charger for it.

Lots more Googling and I found this: [...], the price is 50% more than I just paid for the item!

Thinking of returning the item,

5.0 out of 5 stars Class, 12 Oct 2011
Top class drill. Only take 2 hours to charge and you get a lot of use approx 45 mins. Really impressed with the power and durability of the drill. Light weight but very well built, will recommend

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality has reduced., 9 Jan 2011
This drill does not have the same quality or feel as the previous B&D drills I have had. They have only been replaced because the batteries have given up and cost as much as a complete drill.
On the new drill supplied the torque twist is rough as is the chucvk movement. Will do the job but I will have doubts in the future.
I guess I got what I paid for.

5.0 out of 5 stars My stated opinion, 4 July 2011
A good buy along with my promo 35 bit tool kit offer and will assist me in my home diy tasks in the future. Really good buy and will see in time the quality of the product workmanship to see the product durability.