5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value B&D drill

3.0 out of 5 stars Big minus with NiCad batteries
Published 4 months ago by Anonyfinn

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value B&D drill, 4 Sept. 2009
M. Dexter (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BLACK+DECKER EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill Driver (DIY & Tools)
I bought this drill shortly after moving in to a new flat, after realising that I couldn't keep borrowing my mate's DeWalt tools forever; I decided I needed a drill of my own. My brother has this drill, and although he uses proper air tools at the garage (he's a Mechanic) he uses this 18v B&D drill at home. I knew the drill was excellent, because the battery lasts ages, and even with wire brushes in to clean metal parts the drill performs well.

I purchased mine after reading lots of reviews, on other sites too, and have not been disappointed! Be aware that the drill doesn't come with a carry case (in fairness, the pictures didn't show any case when I purchased - obviously changed since the other user submitted their review). For £40 it's a steal, and as an Amazon Prime subscriber it arrived the next day, even though I'd ordered it mid-late afternoon!

Excellent product, with a good warranty, supplied by an excellent retailer. Top marks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Big minus with NiCad batteries, 24 Nov. 2014
I have owned a few of the NiCad battery drills from B&D, and I haven't had a problem with their performance -- bar one thing. Most people looking at this, especially on a deal day as they usually are (I wonder why?), will be expecting to leave these in the cupboard for use as situations arise. The NiCad batteries discharge quite quickly when not in use, and after a while won't take a charge at all, rendering the drill-driver useless.. Maybe that's why you don't get a charge indicator light -- leaving you out of power and completely in the dark about it. And a replacement battery can cost as much as the drill in the first place.

I recommend paying slightly more for a device with Lithium batteries, because you can get years of use out of them. These ones here can literally be useless in six months, making this a very poor bargain indeed. If you have a one-off job like a patio deck, look at the 14.4 volt model with two batteries -- you can work with fewer breaks that way, as a full charge can take quite a few hours. I have a lot of experience here, so I thought I'd give a 'heads up' to take into consideration. Don't expect to have this in the cupboard for two years -- the batteries will have discharged long ago, probably won't even take a charge, and the whole thing will only be good for recycling.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading images, 4 Aug. 2009
Be aware that all you get is ONE battery, the drill and a charger. Not a second battery and case as in the image.

3.0 out of 5 stars black and decker 18 volt drill, 30 July 2009
good drill, well built as you'd expect from black and decker. and very lightweight.
However picture illustrates the drill with a carry case, which i presumed would be included. Took delivery this morning and no case was included. A little disappointed. dont be mis led by the pictures!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent innexpensive cordless drill, 24 Jan. 2010
L. W. Goddard "coachmann" (N Wales) - See all my reviews
Black & Decker 18V Cordless DrillI was very pleased with the 14volt cordless Black & Decker drill I own, and so after stupidly loosing its charger I went in for the 18volt version. Like the 14 volt version, this 18volt drill performs all the tasks asked of it without fuss. Unlike the 14volt version with its inferior screw-driver bits of various sizes, the single srewdriver bit that came with the 18volt drill is up to the job and so the purchase of hard metal bit's was not found necessary. This drill is a lot lighter than others I've used in the past and is not tiring on the wrist even when working in awkward corners. Well recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars good drill, 5 Sept. 2009
good drill for small to medium jobs,no case or docking charger you plug the power into the drill to charge!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice tool ruined by terrible charging method., 15 Jan. 2011
G. Gampell "guygamps" (St Albans, UK) - See all my reviews
Got mine today, and found as mentioned in one review (if you can take the time to read them all), that it does not come with a "Battery Charger", meaning in my book, a device that you drop the battery in to that charges the battery, every other similar product I have owned (probably 3 or 4) has come with such a device. The B & D charges the battery "in situ", so a DC wall plug adaptor is used to connect to the drill and it charges the battery which is installed in that drill. You cannot even connect the DC charger directly to the battery so cannot charge a battery without tying up the tool too.

Worse still there is no LED light to tell you it is charging, or charge status (e.g. charge complete) means you are completely in the dark over battery status while charging.
You can't charge one battery (if I buy a spare( while using another)
and in my opiniong theis Wall plug DC adaptor likely to be lost, our house full of unidentifiable similar things for MP3 players, mobile phones, etc

Its not a good idea, and spoils the pleasure of owning a good quality cordless power tool, (once it is charged and in your hand)

Manual is useless, it shows the a charging dock in two different diagrams and mentions it in the manual yet it does not tell you it is an option, and does not give you a part number or model number so you can order one if you want.

B & Ds website not much better, been looking a while and still can't find a battery charger for it.

Lots more Googling and I found this: [...], the price is 50% more than I just paid for the item!

Thinking of returning the item,

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality has reduced., 9 Jan. 2011
This drill does not have the same quality or feel as the previous B&D drills I have had. They have only been replaced because the batteries have given up and cost as much as a complete drill.
On the new drill supplied the torque twist is rough as is the chucvk movement. Will do the job but I will have doubts in the future.
I guess I got what I paid for.

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable DIY purchase, 18 May 2013
S Banks (U K) - See all my reviews
I bought a Black & Decker EPC18 drill/screwdriver because I have since 2005 had a Black & Decker GTC 610 hedge trimmer and both the 18v batteries for the hedge trimmer have packed up. Rechargeable batteries are always disappointing, in my experience. It doesn't seem to matter what kind they are or what brand; I'm lucky to get four years' use out of them.

I had a difficult choice: throw away a perfectly good hedge trimmer or buy a new battery for it. A new battery would cost me £30, but a drill with a battery is only £10 more. Even though I don't need another drill, I bought one anyway. This is what I discovered:

1. First, the good news. Even though the 2013 battery has only two terminals and no heat fuse (unlike the 2005 and 2006 batteries), it fits the hedge trimmer and is a good replacement battery for it. The same battery will have to serve both tools, but that's not a big problem as I wouldn't want to use a hedge trimmer and a drill at the same time.

2. Now, the surprise. To charge the battery for the drill, you fit the battery to the drill and plug the charger into a socket at the back of the drill. The instructions are very poor; Figure D, which is meant to show how to charge the battery using the charger plug, shows the charger plug in the wrong place, which could mislead anyone who relies on printed instructions. I had expected the drill to come with a charger receptacle, like my hedge trimmer, so you can charge one battery while using a second battery on the tool. You can't do that here. There may be two different models, an EPC18CA that you charge from a charger plug and an EPC18CAB that you charge from a charger receptacle. Watch out, if this matters to you.

3. Turning to the drill itself. Well, it's Chinese built and looks better in a photo than it does in the flesh. It's very plasticky. I haven't put it to the test with a long or heavy job, but it seems to work perfectly well with the double screwdriver bit provided. It doesn't seem good value at £40. I would not have chosen to pay £40 for it if I hadn't needed the battery.

4. The battery is disproportionately large and heavy for quite a small drill. It doesn't seem well balanced in the hand. But there may be benefits from high voltage and a big battery.

Although Amazon advertise this as having a 1.2Ah battery, the specification on p.10 of the manual says it's a NiCd battery of 1.0 Ah. It says the same thing on the supplied A18E battery. The A18NH battery (not supplied) is said to be NiMH and 1.5 Ah

4.0 out of 5 stars Great drill but no seperate charger is a BIG disappointment, 25 July 2012
Black & Decker EPC18CA 18-Volt 1.2 Ah Cordless Drill

I bought this drill to replace my Black & Decker Quatro whos battery had finally given up the ghost after 10 years or so and the cost of this drill (New) at £39.99 was cheaper than a replacement battery.

OK first the rant

On unpacking the drill I was very dissapointed to find that to charge the battery you had to plug a lead directly in to the drill itself and have the battery fitted to the drill, so completely removing the benefit of having a cordless drill. I have never seen this type of charging on B&D tools of this size before and although this may sound like i'm being petty the normal usage of this kind of device is to be using the drill with one battery while a second is charging so as to be able to switch the batteries when one becomes run down. That way you always have a charged battery ready for use when the first one loses its charge so you can carry on working without having to wait at least an hour for a battery to charge.

I purchased a spare battery from Amazon for this purpose at the same time as I ordered the drill, only to find that a) There is no charger in the box the drill came in and b) Amazon do not sell a charger for this battery type. This meant I had to purchase a slide on charger for just £11.00 from an online auction site. There were other much more expensive chargers on tool sites but the one I purchased works perfectly well. So come on Black & Decker for £11.00 you can afford to put a seperate charger in the box.

Right that's the rant out of the way now for the good points

The drill itself arrived in good condition and after charging the battery (via the drill........) went about the duties it was purchased to carry out. The drill is powerful enough to do just about any task around the house you could possibly come up with. On full torque it will drill or fit screws in to almost any surface (pre drilled or not) while on the lower settings can be used for use on more delicate surfaces such as tile or soft wood.

My only gripe with the drill is that there is a reversible screwdriver bit with a cross head(Philips) and a flat bladed bit on either end which is fitted to the battery housing, when the drill is in use I found that the hand holding the grip on the drill would accidentally detach the screwdriver bit from the housing. This has happened often enough that I have stopped replacing the bit and now leave it in my tool box. This isn't a problem fo me as I have other (and better) screwdriver bits that I would prefer to use but worth mentioning all the same.

I have no other criticisms of the drill at all and if it wasn't for the lack of charger I would be giving the drill 5 stars but as it is I can only give it 4 stars.

BLACK+DECKER EPC18CA 18V NiCd Cordless Drill Driver