5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Package
Published on 27 Aug 2010 by Sheila York

2.0 out of 5 stars I know it's dark in the winter, but...
I bought this as a birthday present for my Mum, as she loves ballet and particularly likes Darcey Bussell. My parents tried to watch it, but gave up after 30 minutes, as the lighting was so dim they literally couldn't see what was happening. According to my Dad, the dancers dressed in black were practically invisible at times.

I've since found quite a few...
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Package, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Not only do you get one hour of pure magic in the Winter Dream ballet, additionally there is a most interesting documentary portrait of the choreographer, Kenneth MacMillan. I watched the documentary first which was a happy decision. By the end of it I felt that I understood where MacMillan was coming from as he explained his new ideas for ballet, for example different moves and expressing real-life emotion. Winter Dreams was the ideal ballet to then watch to see his ideas in practice. I was with the three sisters all the way as they danced through their hopes and disappointments, so much so I felt quite drained by the end - but not too drained to watch it again the next day! I like the fact that the story behind the ballet is clearly introduced at the start and that any of the 11 sections of the ballet can be selected so that favourite parts can be replayed easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterpiece, 13 Aug 2010
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
This ballet is wonderfully performed. The artists playing their roles as they were the very character. Many emotions and a perfect ballet technique. Moreover, Darcey Bussell is, as usual, the most beautiful ballerina. I recommend this DVD to everyone loving great ballet performances.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TOTAL WINNER SO LOVELY!!, 7 Jan 2010
Arthur Wyatt (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
DVD arrived today, most of UK in snow so this was an appropriate time! MacMillian's ballet lies between La Dame aux Camelias, Aniuta and Mayerling in an atmosphere of rural Russia, snow and beautiful women. Based on Chekov accompanied by traditional Russian music and pieces by Tchaikovsky it is beautiful in every way. It's not too dark as the other reviewer states. A total winner! THER SHOULD BE NO REVIEWS LESS THAN """""

2.0 out of 5 stars I know it's dark in the winter, but..., 5 April 2013
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)

I've since found quite a few clips online and I can see what they mean. Obviously, some of the scenes were meant to be taking place outside on a winter evening, but surely there are ways of creating an impression of that with stage lighting? I also thought some of the direction of the piece was simply dreadful; the opening scene for example, looking in through a window, doesn't work at all.

What I saw of the dancing looked amazing, it's just a shame that it wasn't shown off in the best light.

2.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight buy, 14 Jan 2013
D. Baldry - See all my reviews
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
Winter Dreams is a brief and lightweight ballet. Worth viewing for the extra, an interesting survey of Kenneth MacMillan's choreography.

3.0 out of 5 stars winter dreams. i love to watch ballet!, 20 Jun 2009
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
a beautifully told story based on chekov's play,the three sisters.comes with documentary,'out of line' which i also enjoyed.only thing i was disappointed with was the lighting - very dark in places so dancers in dark costumes were hard to see.this was such a shame especially as it was recorded for tv.(bbc).

5.0 out of 5 stars A birthday present for my Mum, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
she loves this DVD, i think it was the fact it isn't one of those traditional ballets but still danced superbly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 July 2014
Beautiful

5.0 out of 5 stars A real dream, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
It is magic to watch ballet stars as Irek Mukhamedov, Durcey Bussel,Anthony Dowell'Viviana Durante dancing a Choreography by Kenneth MacMillan bases o Tchekov'sThree Sisters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter Dreams, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
I have always loved this ballet. I gave a copy to mydaughter and my daughter-in-law who is a former dancer.

Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011]
Winter Dreams [DVD] [2011] by Darcey Bussell (DVD - 2009)
11.08