5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, Comprehensive and Different
Published on 29 Aug 2009 by Karpind

3.0 out of 5 stars for the very fit over 50's
This is quite a good video and I was able to do most of the exercises, but it did incorporate a lot of 'lunges' and like myself, many people over 50 have knee joint problems. I have no problem when I go hiking, but continual lunges give me a lot of problems in my knees. Because of this, I have stopped using the video.

I would just like to add that the music...
Published on 23 Aug 2010 by T. Breed

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe, Comprehensive and Different, 29 Aug 2009
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
It must be three years since I did any form of exercise; I have a weak back, damaged knees and very litle motivation. I've tried exercise videos before and get bored with them. After four of five sessions I usually grow to hate the background music and get annoyed with the happy-clappy instructor shouting at me. They are either too fast for me or patronisingly slow.

I had seen an excerpt of this DVD on Youtube - the warm-up. I was struck by the fact that the instructor was completely silent and the music was so low-key to the point that I didn't notice it (and that's a good thing if, like me, you find that the background music interferes with your hearing). Instead, a calm, informative voice-over explained the movements and the modifications properly. When the credits rolled, I saw that the instructor and 'models' were French, so no wonder there was no shouting or gabbled instructions from the front!

I recognised some of the stretches and movements from my younger fitter days, but they were presented in a gradual slow build up and adapted for the less supple of us. There were one or two movements that I had never come across before, either on a video or at an excercise class - mostly to do with balance and coordination. They were different but do-able. By the time we got to the end of the main session, I recognised that I had just been through a challenging session set at the right pace for me and it left me feeling very pleased with myself.

The exercises are just what I needed to start getting in shape and I liked the low-key way in which they were presented. Have a look on Youtube for the excerpt before you buy and see whether the style of instruction suits you too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Start-up Programme, 7 May 2009
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
This DVD was my introduction to structured exercise. As I am a youngish 72 I was concerned about being too ambitious,but have found this programme one that I can gradually work up to. I can't do the whole hour yet, but I as it is in 3 segments I can manage 2, and hope to improve. The instructions are clear, and offer alternatives if you are unable to do a particular movement. I would definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 May 2010
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
My wife (Carol) bought this DVD and this is her comment - This is the best exercise programme I have ever seen with regards to keeping fit for older people. I really feel that I am working and will stick to doing the routine 3 times a week!

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting Fit, 12 Oct 2011
Claybags (Leicester England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
I am 64yrs old and must admit I have never exercised in my life. Now I'm retired I found myself sitting around too much and my muscles were getting very stiff. I started on these exercises in March and have been doing them pretty much every day since then. Most days I just do the first half hour and just occasionally the full work out. The difference it has made to me is really good, I can now run to catch a bus and not be puffed out,(I've not been able to do this for years) and I have so much more energy than before. I have had problems with my knees for the last 10 years and I'm sure these exercises have helped, it was painful doing the exercises for the first 10 days or so but I'm so glad I perservered. I look forward to my half hour work-out each day now.

3.0 out of 5 stars for the very fit over 50's, 23 Aug 2010
T. Breed (Bucks England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)

I would just like to add that the music is pleasant and unobtrusive, unlike so many other videos.

I am disappointed, I was looking forward to this video after reading so many good reviews.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Exercise Class, 28 April 2012
FITNESS FOR THE OVER 50's
with Nancy Marmorat
As an experienced fitness instructor dealing with this age group I was intrigued to see what this range of DVD's offered, especially in light of one or two of the negative comments.
This is not an over-produced, over-polished, American type production. It is a well thought-out exercise programme shown in a semi class situation; warts and all.
The instructor is obviously well trained and experienced and her two class members - because that is obviously what they are - not trained instructors - show different stages of experience. Where necessary and when she spots it, Nancy corrects moves and positioning just as we do in class. In fact because of her obvious knowledge and the type of moves and exercises, I seriously wondered whether she had been trained by the organisation I belong to:,The Fitness League, but as her classes seem to be based in France I don't think she can be.
Yes, OK, the music is not what I might have chosen but that should not detract from the well thought out exercises - just follow what you are shown and you can't go far wrong. I would recommend this series to anyone who is less than fit.

3.0 out of 5 stars gentle keepfit, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
Its easier to follow than I had thought when picking it. I couldnt do it every night it would be too boring, so I use it twice a week along with other exercise regimes.

4.0 out of 5 stars keep fit for the wrinkly ones, 21 Aug 2009
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
My keep fit involvement has found me bored witless. This dvd makes me smile as the participants beside the main instructor are nearly as hapless as me. The exercises can be modulated according to fitness level.

2.0 out of 5 stars do not bother, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
Iam well over 50 but would not have bothered buying this cd if I had known what it was like. It is recommended for the over 50's but I found it very boring, although I only watched it and did not do any of the excercises. I wanted excercises with a bit of lively music to them & this one certainly does not have any. I originally wanted the Jane Fonda but bought this instead I now wish I had gone with Jane. Probably will buy her later.

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD, 27 Jan 2012
Mrs. G. Thomas (Penarth Wales UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fitness For The Over 50's - Get Into Shape DVD (DVD)
Easy to follow; good way to get into an exercise routine and not too strenuous. Would recommend to anyone wanting to improve their fitness