4.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 Jun 2009
Rudy (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touchdown (Audio CD)
I must admit to knowing nothing about the Brakes. I was looking at something else and saw this as a recommended album. I gave the samples a listen and was hooked. Every so often I kept coming back and listening to the samples and thinking that it sounded like a really good album. Eventually I decided to save myself the effort and just buy it. I'm glad I did. It is a fantastic album. The hooks seem so simple and melodic that they are instantly likeable without becoming annoying on repeated listens. This is perfect pop music, if there's any justice it will sell millions! Some of these songs are so addictive they may just have been brought down from outerspace! There is a harder edge to some songs but I don't think these moments will put anyone off too much. The album is short and sweet clocking in at just over 36 minutes. I must also say that the track listing on Amazon is not the same as the copy I have. I think fans of Kaiser Chiefs, Ash, Supergrass or Green Day will all find much to enjoy here. The stand out songs for me are Two Shocks, Worry About It Later, Crush On You and Ancient Mysteries. Lyrically some of the songs seem joyously nonsensical, but for me it doesn't detract from the simple melodic brilliance of the music. It may be a short album but in terms of quality and enjoyment then this album is certainly value for money. Buy this now, you can thank me later!

4.0 out of 5 stars If It Ain't Broke (7/10), 14 Jun 2009
Gannon (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Touchdown (Audio CD)
Touchdown is more of a comfortable tap in than an overhead cup winner. It is a safe and capable third outing for these assorted Electric Soft Parade, Tenderfoot and British Sea Power members and collaborators. Their combined indie-rock and distinctive vocal will please fans but not challenge them. Touchdown is the sound of a quirky band having it corners rounded off. This is not necessarily a bad thing as in doing so they are reined in their excess. Hamilton's jarring squawks are no more; their desire to meld indie-rock and alt-country has gone the same way. Touchdown scores points for consistency and listenability, but loses them for being a touch pedestrian. Pedestrians do not have brakes, but wagons do. Be grateful then that these Brakes have no desire to jump the closest bandwagon.

4.0 out of 5 stars GET THIS ALBUM!!!!!!! €£, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Touchdown (Audio CD)
Awesome album. Especially loved the fact it still had the sticker "former property of Seattle library" on it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Touched!, 22 April 2009
This review is from: Touchdown (Audio CD)
This is a nice album - chilled in a unique way. Full of catchy tunes, gets better the more you listen. These are rocky songs, that keeps me on edge.

Touchdown
Touchdown by Brakesbrakesbrakes (Audio CD - 2009)