Size: Medium|Colour: Black|Change

on 30 September 2010
I can't say I was skeptical about this product as I have had wet upper legs and relatively dry lower legs many times, but I was pleasantly surprised nonetheless. It's a compromise - you will get damp lower legs - but an intelligent one that works for me. If you have mudguards, then I strongly recommend these. I cannot find full length waterproofs that are long enough while slim enough in the waist, and while this is not a big deal for walking it is a problem for cycling because the crotch is too low. With my Rainlegs I found that there was no "friction" or resistance to movement like you get with full waterproofs, or indeed when your upper legs are wet in trousers. No sweatiness (no more than usual anyway!) and while I have not ridden in the cold with them I think I may use them in the dry as a windcheater. I reserve judgement on durability of the press-studs although my first impresions are good. Easy and quick to put on with well thought out straps, they look kinda sexy on me, according to my wife's friend - perhaps a little equestrian if you know what I mean! When they arrived the velcro straps were connected to the velcro hooks on the opposite leg (as it were) which is the way I would recommend folding them up. I bung mine in the side pocket of a bontrager trunk, where they fit with plenty to spare. They can also be squashed into a pocket when you're in a rush. Folded properly, then folded in half (which is easy) they are about the size of a large, straight but exceptionally fat banana. When I say "exceptionally fat" I mean about the girth of a nearly-finished toilet roll. Only Railegs are more useful in the rain.
on 20 January 2010
These rainlegs do exactly what they say they will. I have now cycled in heavy rain and they have kept me remarkably dry while not getting sweaty. They are also very good for keeping wind chill to a minimum. They fold up neatly and are very easy to use. When worn over black cycling tights they are not very obvious. I wish I had known about them years ago.
on 1 October 2010
These Rainlegs are surprisingly effective and far more comfortable than they look. I first used them in a downpour. I was out for about 45 minutes and it was only in the last ten minutes that damp started to seep through them. In light rain they should be really great. Lightweight and not as unflattering as I thought they'd be. I am using them over shorts right now and they keep the thigh muscle nice and warm without feeling restrictive. Sizing is slightly odd but I am 5'4" and the Small fit perfectly on length while the waistband has plenty of room for expansion.
on 1 January 2015
On the face of it a ridiculous invention: roll up, wear around your waist nylon cycling "chaps" that you pull down the front of your trousers and attach round your knees when it rains.

In practice, they are kind of genius - protecting the bit of your trousers that get most wet when it rains, whilst leaving you free of the bulk and sweatiness of waterproof trousers, which are a nightmare for cycling in.

Are they worth buying? Well as part of a 5-10 mile bike commuting set-up, I reckon yes. They'll see a few days use on days when it can't quite decide whether to bucket down or just drizzle, and when your already so done up in practical biking gear you won't really worry about the odd glances, and instead revel in the admiring looks at your practical rain proofs. For the casual cyclist, its not really worth having in your bag, as they are so small, you'll probably mislay them.

Pros - keep your legs mostly dry in light-medium rain, pack up small, dead practical

Cons - look moderately silly when deployed, can be a bit of a challenge to roll back up nice and small once you've got them unrolled.

Would I buy again? Maybe, but glad I've got a pair.
on 9 July 2015
I was very dubious of these, so put them on my wishlist and got them as a gift. I use them for cycling to and from work as i couldn't be bothered with putting on waterproof pants on in the early morning. After 6 months of use i would definitely recommend these.

I have worn them in hail, downpours, drizzle and i have to say they have fared better than some of my waterproof coats have.

PROS:
More likely to want to ride in the rain
Lightweight, easily carried everyday
Very quick and easy to put on
Very effective at keeping the legs dry
Extra protection against cold in winter
Reasonably priced

CONS:
They can bunch up on certain types of trousers like combats/cargo, but after proper adjusting they are fine
In heavier rain the lower legs can get wet (not much of a problem really)
As they are lightweight they seem kind of flimsy and look prone to tearing (although this hasn't been the case)

I would definitely buy another pair in the future should i need to.
on 27 November 2013
I am a regular commuter and I had been thinking about buying this product for over a year but delayed because I already have a set of waterproof trousers.

Because of the recent rainy period though I got fed up with the full length trousers as I was getting overheated and very sweaty, I thought it was a good time to give these a go. When I recevied them my first impression wasn't good as they looked flimsy but subsequent usage, I used them about a dozen times, has shown them to be of good quality and they have worked well at keeping my leg mostly dry, obviously the calves get a bit damp but not enough to be a problem. I do find though that I have to be careful when sitting back in the saddle after climbing up a hill as they can get wrapped under the saddle, this is something that I have got used to now so isn't really a problem anymore.

You do need mudguard though to make these effective so if you do and like to commute regularly give them a go.
on 29 May 2015
I had the opportunity to try these today and they worked perfectly well, even if it took me a few minutes to figure out how to put them on: a 30 mins cycle in heavy rain saw my legs still dry (my jacket leaked a lot but that's another story) and surprisingly, despite only covering part of my legs, it was enough to keep my legs mostly dry.

Ideal for those quick rides into town.

What I don't understand is why they have padding on the knees. It makes them more bulky than the need to be; in fact more bulky than you are expecting. For a product which uses less than one quarter the fabric of a normal pair of over-trousers you would reasonably expect them to pack down tiny and fit into a pocket but because of this padding, and their numerous straps, they are somehow not much smaller when packed than a good lightweight pair of normal over-trousers are.
on 17 April 2012
Used these today on a typical April showery day (cycling). Brilliant. Kept the upper legs dry, but not sweaty. Easy to roll up when not needed. And they don't flap unless you don't do them up properly!
on 30 November 2015
These are waterpoof but nowhere near to the level people are going on about, being a rather tall man (6'3") I opted for the x-large size.

Pro's
Keeps the tops of your legs dry(ish) and warm

Cons
The top of the rain legs waterproofing doesn't come up to the bottom of your waterproof jacket meaning that it seeps in underneath it and gets you wet.
The groin area will eventually get wet as well
It doesn't really cover you from rain coming in from any direction other than right in front of you.
on 29 May 2016
All you need for light rain. These pack very small and you can keep them in your day pack just in case "! I used them for cycling and also on a couple of day hikes (you are fully covered of using with wellies!). I packed these and some waterproof trousers for a long distance cycling trip and ended up using these every single time: comfortable and easy to put on/take off, and doesn't make you as hot (it does get a bit warm if you are exercising, just like any other waterproof item!)