5.0 out of 5 stars Super all round camera
I purchased this camera as an upgrade from the Fuji which I had for a long time. I read the reviews and decided to go with this as it seemed to offer a fair bit. I purchased the camera from Amazon as a bundle which worked out to be a pretty good deal.

Published on 30 Jun 2009 by dombot232

3.0 out of 5 stars Pls be Careful of the Bundled Offer
Published on 1 Dec 2009 by M. Syam Sundar

5.0 out of 5 stars Super all round camera, 30 Jun 2009
This review is from: Sony Cyber-shot DSCW270B Digital Camera - Black (12.1 MP, 5x Optical Zoom) 2.7 inch LCD (Electronics)

The camera performed really well, the holiday I went on was a beach holiday. The camera captured the colours and movement without any issues and was a perfect re-production. I could not get over how good the quality was and the zoom was well worth it.

The camera is packed with various function such as smile recognition and HD video Which I was a bit shocked to find worked really well. Specially the HD video which was a lot better than my normal 640x480 video on my old camera (Not surprising, but big difference)

If I was going to be a bit a critical I would say that the night photos do loose quality and can prove to be a bit tricky (Might be down to me not reading the instructions)

I am currently getting around 260 photos and some video on a full charge which I think is pretty good.

I have had the camera for around 4 weeks

I would recommend this camera for anyone who need a camera for normal usage such as holidays. Family trips, sight seeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 17 Aug 2009
I deliberated for ages before buying this camera - deciding between the new Panasonic Lumix and the Sony T900 - and finally bought this one. Ideal size and weight, slim and stylish and picture quality is perfect day and night. Unlike my previous camera - Sony T7 which was a great little camera - there is no shakiness in night mode. An absolute bargain!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Small Camera I have ever brought, 20 Oct 2009
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I own what I call my big camera, which although great for quality, is too big to take everywhere. However, when my small Casio packed up after 8 years I decided to go with a Sony as my bigger camera (DSLR A200W) proved to be a great buy. After quite a bit of shopping around I decided on the W270 although it's a little bit on the pricey side I figured it was worth it. Thankfully I wasn't wrong!

Okay the first thing I noticed was the sleek design, it looks smart without too many complicating buttons to get to know. The screen is 2.7 inch LCD which is clear and bright (this setting can be changed so your display is bright, very bright or has extras on the display and so on). The camera was also very light and slim with the exact measurements being 56.6H x 97.6W x 22.6D

On to the techie stuff, this is the basic highlights of the camera:-

12.1 Megapixels
5x Optical zoon and 10x digital zoom
11 Mb internal memory
Wide Angle Lens
HD Image Capture
Face Detection and smile shutter technology
Optical Steady shot
9 scene modes

First off, I though I would give it a go without reading the manual. Never a good idea but I wondered how easy it was to use. Thankfully I managed to work most of the basics, however once I read the manual I found there were many things I could do that I wouldn't have worked out myself. My advice would be to read the manual in full first as it is very helpful.

There is an option to have your camera in easy mode which basically decides which setting it should be on, so all you need to do is point and click. However if you are feeling more adventurous you can change the settings yourself to various scene modes. I found that when you use the optical and digital zoom, when you look at the LCD screen when you are taking the picture the image looks slightly blurry, however once you have actually taken it the image is crystal clear. There are lots of quirky little features on the camera such as smile shutter which automatically detects when people are smiling. However after a little playing around I found it easier to do my own `detection'. There is a bizarre feature on the camera where once a photo is taken if there is somebody who is not smiling it can change that for you to make them appear as if smiling. The only downside to this feature is that it ends up making the person look slightly deranged! The video camera function on the camera is very good and not only has great picture as well as sound but is done in HD. One of my favourite features on this camera is the retouches you can do directly to the memory card. In the past if I wanted to crop an image, remove red eye or so on, I would download to my PC and then make the changes, but with the Sony you can do it directly on the camera itself, a very hand little feature. All in all a feature packed camera that although on the pricey side WELL worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pls be Careful of the Bundled Offer, 1 Dec 2009
M. Syam Sundar (London) - See all my reviews
I bought the Camera and the Sony Pro Duo 4GB Mark 2 memory stick as a bundled offer. The Camera is good but however when I insert the Memory stick I get a warning message "This memory card may not record or play" It is a small irritant which keeps recurring every few min or everytime you some to the main screen. I contacted Sony support and they said that this error will indeed come with this combination and I have to live with it It may result in memory malfunctioning once in a while but they were not able to tell me what may lead to malfunctioning.

So buy the camera but pls be careful of the bundled offer Dont buy the memory stick offered

5.0 out of 5 stars The best choice., 3 Sep 2009
After a long search about which camera meets my needs, I ended up to this camera and proved to be the best choice that I could make.
Of the most significant properties are i) the 5x optical zoom which, in compination with the additional 5x digital, gives great detailed shots, and ii) the fine quality video (the only con here is that you cannot zoom while filming)

Along with that camera, I bought a SONY memory card of 8Gb and a second battery SONY info-lithium, which really proved to be helpful as I was never worried about whether there is still enough memory or run out of battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb picture quality., 5 Sep 2009
Steve Wood (Stirling) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure what camera to choose so I asked a photographer friend of mine what sets a good camera apart from the rest because there were so many to choose from.He told me to get one with a good lens, not just one that takes pictures with the highest megapixels. Reason being, if you get one with a poor lens you get 8,10 or 12 megapixels of poor picture. The Sony has a Carl Ziess lens so he told me I wouldn't go too far wrong with the W270. He was right! I am amazed at the detail I get even in the poorest of light. Even my photographer friend was impressed with it when I showed him the quality it produces. Well worth the money. Thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Cyber-shot DSCW270B camera, 27 Oct 2009
I was originally looking at the reviews in relation to the Panasonic Lumix and Sony Cyber-shot camera's.

I was more impressed with the comments regarding the Sony unit, this information swayed me to the purchase. I have now had the unit for two weeks and am very impressed, but admit that I still have a lot to learn about the camera before all the benefits of it will become second nature.

The smile recognition feature is very novel, especially for snapping camera shy people. Literally, turn the facility on, hold the camera away from yourself with the subject on the viewer and sit back. Good natural smiling shots with no forced smiles or silly faces.

A small comment is to turn off the facial recognition for landscape pictures. The camera spends time searching for faces, rather than allowing you to seek out the desired view. Minor stuff really.

All in all, very very pleased with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sony Cyber Shot, 12 Oct 2009
D. Farmer (Northampton UK) - See all my reviews
The best small digital camera as far as im concerned. Easy to use, zoom is brilliant and the video recording facility and the sound quality is perfect. I only have one negative comment and that is you cannot zoom whilst recording video. Its so easly to transfer pictures and videos to the computer which automatically files them in date order.
Would highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Very very good... but not perfect, 2 Dec 2009
M. Gledhill - See all my reviews
Let me start by giving the Sony Cybershot 270 camera the best pat on the back:

I own a Canon EOS 450D SLR camera. It's brilliant, very very fast at taken photos, and I often use it
when I want blur-free photos, or good foreground/background focusing.

Last month, my daughter was born, and I didn't even take the Canon SLR to the hospital. This Sony 270
camera is SO good, that I was perfectly confident in just taking photos of this precious time using
this camera instead. High praise indeed.

Similarly, I didn't take along my 1-megapixel Sony camcorder, as the movies that the Sony 270 camera
takes are just as good, if not better. But a shame you can't zoom, as you're recording.

The bad news:
- Being a Sony, you are forced to use Memory Stick cards, rather than SD-cards.
- Although the photos are very good, you DO still get blurring, particularly when you aren't using
the flash.

My only other comment is that some of the built-in features are really silly. The "Smile detector"
can detect people's faces, but it's claim to wait for victims to smile before taking the photo
isn't really true.

There's also a feature to *increase* a person's smile, once you've taken a photo. So after taking a
photo of your mother-in-law, this function will stretch the sides of her mouth, to make her look a
little less miserable. In reality, the photo looks like something from a morphing program, and
your mother-in-law looks like she's just had a stroke.

However, as a camera to carry around, for day-to-day photos, the Canon Cyber-shot 270 is unbeatable.
Not too heavy, good features, good battery life, very easy to use, and generally excellent quality
of photos.

No cradle is included though, you just get one thick Sony-specific cable containing both a USB plug
*and* the three cables for connecting the camera up to your telly.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 23 Oct 2009
i brought this camera as an upgrade to a kodak that ive had a couple of years.i was torn between the w220 and the w270.i went for the w270 because of the of the option of filming in 720hd.ive had the camera a week or so and i am delighted with it.the picture quality is awesome.it has optical zoom x5 and the pictures you can take when zoomed right in are crystal clear.filming quality is brilliant,very clear and crisp.the only let down is you cant zoom in when filming.the camera is very easy to use and has lots of different options/modes you can take pictures in. i would recomend this camera to anyone and it is very reasonably priced