4.0 out of 5 stars Has expertly drawn out all that is Italy yet animal friendly
Published on 13 Dec. 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Unavailable ingredients
Published on 7 Jan. 2006

4.0 out of 5 stars Has expertly drawn out all that is Italy yet animal friendly, 13 Dec. 2000
By A Customer
I'm sure every vegan recognises the scenario, you choose from the panoply of beautiful Italian dishes, many of which are apparently vegan, only to be dissapointed upon discovering that they contain just the smallest amount of anchovy, a ladle of stock or the ubiquitous sprinkle of Parmesan. Well help is at hand. This book may not help you to find Italian food in restaurants but it will give you the chance to make your own mouth-watering, animal free versions at home.
Nonna's recipes are designed with practicalily in mind. The dishes are healthy (apart some of the stunning desserts), easy to make and you wont have to board a plane to get hold of the ingredients. The pasta dishes were filling and immensely tasty with innovative uses of seasonal vegetables. Some of the pizza toppings were inspirational. Not only did they look like the pictures in a cookery book but they they tasted like you thought they should. My kids loved them and they thought that pizza without cheese was like leaving the jam out of jam doughnuts.
This book is a must have for every vegan and food lover alike who wishes to enjoy the taste of dishes steeped in tradition and prepared with love.

4.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Italian for Vegans, 20 April 2010
I got this book a few years ago and just decided to give it a review as I feel it deserves a highly rating than the reviewers here have given it. When I received this book I sat down and read it for about an hour. Unlike most cookbooks which I tend to flick through and use for inspiration this book draws its inspiration from the highly readable genuine writing style of the author. I guess what I'm saying is that even though it doesn't have pictures this doesn't seem to take away from the book. The author clearly has a passion for food and there is a feeling that you are receiving many family recipes here and they certainly are home style rather than the fancy resturant style. Many recipes have side notes in the margins with variations of the recipe or mini recipes for basic sauces or dips. What I like a lot about this is that the recipes are vegan versions of very authentic Italian recipes, an introductory paragraph explains the history of the recipe how it s usually eaten, the region it comes from etc, which I really enjoyed. There are lots of recipes for cheeses such as parmesan, ricotta and feta based mainly on tofu, with soy free variations usually featuring nuts. The cheeses are pretty tasty. The book also covers breads, I made focaccia and standard white bread and both came out delicious, and the recipes are simpler and came out far nicer than the bread recipes in Nigellas "how to be a domestic goddess". There os a section of recipes ising tofu and seitan. The seitan recipes are not ones that I have used much, mainly because I liek in Ireland and only recently food a supplier for gluten, I tried the mock beef and it was ok, not delicous, but this could be me and not the recipe. In response to the other reviews - I found all the ingredients easy to get in Ireland, aside from the vital gluten powder, which can be purchased online from flourbin in the UK, and I think that using wine in a tomato sauce is a pretty basic and common practice.I have lots and lots of cookbooks but I tend to use this one a lot more than others. If you are vegan and like Italian food then I would highly recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unavailable ingredients, 7 Jan. 2006
By A Customer
This book had promise, but, many of the ingredients in particular the soy-based ones, are unavailable (in south-east Ireland anyway). We love Italian food, but cannot eat dairy products and were hoping this would give us inspiration! But it all boils down to just using fresh, natural ingredients and leaving out the cheese and sauces - until someone can write a book with rich, yummy, dairy-free recipes. Disappointed - it will be gathering dust in the kitchen

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 20 Mar. 2013
My husband and I have made some really nice dinners using this book. Would recommend to anyone looking to eat more healthily.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best addition to your cooking books library, 20 Feb. 2010
The book was not very fantastical. I've choose for myself only few recipes which I cook regularly, but because of couple recipes it's not worth of buying. Other dishes were not very tasty (not for me, not for my friends or parents). Combination of tomatos and red wine seems for me quite disgusting (acidity of tomato and wine makes the dish with double acidity) and I was forced to throw the meal away.
As a result I'm gonna look for another italian vegan cook book.