Format: DVD|Change

on 31 March 2014
oh my god i love these two. this is not an easy film to watch but my goodness it is worth it. the leads are perfect together and have such a connection in real life that it translates on to the screen. you watch this film like a guilty outsider as they tear each other and their relationship apart. it is genius, sad and a whole other mix of feelings and emotions. you so want it to work for them that you cant look away - brilliant support by Michael Shannon. why hasn't Leonardo Dicaprio won an Oscar?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 August 2011
It's the mid 1950s and Frank and April Wheeler are not so much facing the seven year itch in their marriage, but more an opening wound from which forms a chasm of despair that is luring them in.

Revolutionary Road is a tough sell as a piece of entertainment, in fact it's probably best to sell it as a tough uncompromising expose of a drifting suburbanite relationship. Adapting from Richard Yate's misery laden "classic," director Sam Mendes and his team have crafted an actors piece that is as rewarding as it most definitely is a downer. Full of deceit and sadness, it's only really with the complexities of the characters that the discerning viewer can be pulled in to the perspectives of the protagonists. That this occurs is testament to the acting ability of both Kate Winslet {April} and Leonardo DiCaprio {Frank}. Arguably two of the best actors of their generation, they each give it such believability, such desperation, it offers up an anti-dote to any effects driven picture rising up the current DVD sales charts.

Clinically directed by Mendes, and given a lush 50s sheen from Roger Deakins visuals, Revolutionary Road is a must see of modern era, dramatic, dialogue driven films. If one is likely to want to see it again after viewing it is questionable. The DVD sales will make for interesting reading I feel. But once viewed it's unlikely that you are ever likely to forget having let the piece get under your skin. Something I think that this film will achieve to the majority of like minded adults after some like minded adult cinema. 8/10
on 2 September 2009
A fantastic film looking at suburban life and the basic desires that drive people. Kate Winslet stands head and shoulders above most other actresses with an amazing performance, managing to instill a believable humanity in what could have been a very unsympathetic character. If you're feeling frustrated with your life then this film really strikes a cord.
on 4 October 2015
Maybe Sam Mendes masterpiece (along with Skyfall): a tragic, intense and still essential film inspired by 50ies melodrama, without all the sentimental excesses of that genre: here there is no showing off but, when it comes to deeply emotional moments, you are led to them by a balanced and elegant direction and script that let the story naturally unfolds with no cheesy twists or easy use of musical comment like they used to do in the past.
Here, despite the truly elegant look of the film (with a stunning photogrpahy that reminds of Edward Hopper and some american photographers) the heart of the story hides a hot, explosive and genuine mix of emotions, dreams and desires that clashes with the oppressing and frustrating mentality of that era, yet maintaining a universal value so you can easily identify with his and her point of view, also thanks to actors splendid performances, who go more for understatement than overacting, thus creating a hidden tension that explodes just in few scenes and make them even more dramatic.
I do not think it is just a coincidence that Mendes took the couple from Titanic, giving them the chance after many years, to meet again and picture a completely different love affair, more mature, suffered and true than that. Here there is no glamour, no clichè, but just 2 fantastic grown up actors that give their best performance ever letting the beautiful book (the film is based on) shine in all his dramatic beauty.

BLU RAY is fantastic, presenting a perfect hd transfer which really shows the beauty of the cinematography and includes some very interesting extra, from interviews to backstage and a making-of diary by Sam Mendes
on 13 March 2011
While the film starts slowly there's a dramatic build-up that's worth the wait. The film is full of depth and both the lead and main supporting actors are excellent. Not for the faint-hearted though! I have just watched it and already want to see it again.
on 26 June 2013
Revolutionary Road is an interesting drama and Sam Mendes directs it excellently. Kate Winslet is superb as as the unfulfilled housewife and Di Caprio is unnervingly bland as the well intentioned but unexciting husband.

This film should be quite dull and boring (it is largely a film about dullness and boredom), yet by the end of it the performances are truly mesmerising. Not a pleasant film, but a film to treasure nonetheless.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 24 February 2009
This is a review of the standard definition DVD, not the Blu-ray version.

Based on the late Richard Yates novel of the same title written nearly fifty years ago, Revolutionary Road is a drama surrounding a Connecticut couple living the suburban American dream of the 1950s whose marriage turns from sweet and nice-as-pie to something altogether more bitter and distasteful. Of course it brings together the leading actors of the biggest-selling movie of all time (Titanic, in case you didn't know) and once again I think Dicaprio is the weak link of the two, because although he has gained a lot of experience over the past decade and more, and has matured as an inevitability, so too has Kate Winslet, who shows her genuine A-list rating and who has garnered widespread acclaim for a number of leading awards. In this film she plays a housewife who believes that there must be more to life outside of and beyond their comfortable, white-picket-fenced but mundane existence. She puts the idea of a trip to Paris to her sceptical, conformist and less ambitious husband.

This is very much an actors' piece and something that I was eagerly looking forward to, not least because the man at its helm is none other than Sam Mendes (Kate Winslet's real-life husband) who also directed AMERICAN BEAUTY, one of the best films I have ever seen. Perhaps because of that I expected more satire, more black humour than is actually the case - but then I have not read the novel so these were, I now know in hindsight, misplaced expectations. This film is none the worse for any absence of cynical stereotypes, however. Instead it is intense to the point of being gruelling and draining, but ultimately a rewarding, memorable and emotionally gripping experience. Dare I suggest that the plight of the Wheelers will touch a nerve in more than a few couples who have been married for several years, have had the children, remember the dreams they once had and how determined they once were not to be just like everybody else, until one day they realise that that is exactly what has happened. In this way it sometimes feels like a disturbingly voyeuristic peep into our own lives, despite the two- or even three-generation gap between then and now.

It may be fiction, but thanks to top-class acting from Winslet and even better direction from Mendes, this makes us face up to and consider some uncomfortable home truths.
on 22 February 2009
You don't get many laughs here and unlike Sam Mendes' superb "American Beauty" there aren't any layers or clever twists to keep your attention... just a depressingly bleak story about a couple watching their hopes & dreams disintegrate as the reality of the suburban life they're locked into hits home.

So worth the effort? Absolutely, for two reasons. Firstly, the acting is brilliant - Kate Winslet, quite rightly, wins huge praise for her portrayal of the frustrated and tormented wife but in many ways it's Leonardo DiCaprio who has the more difficult role as the confused husband and, despite unfair criticisms about his "boyish looks", he carries it off convincingly and equally superbly. Together, they're incredible - so good that they become wholly believable people trapped in a wholly believable marriage.

And, secondly, despite the one-dimensional story and the effort of watching it slowly unfold to a fairly predictable conclusion, this is powerful stuff: couples argue like this, lovers hurt each other like this, people destroy each other's dreams like this, and real life is like this... so much so that it's at times deeply uncomfortable viewing. Not much fun then but after getting through it all you won't forget it in a hurry and, on the way, you'll witness some of the best acting you've ever seen.
on 22 October 2010
Revolutionary Road....My 30 something daughter recommended this to me as a must see. I was a bit reluctant at first with the cliche reuniting of Leo and Kate, so about 8 months later I watched it.

It is about the angst of relationships, centering on the wobbly marriage of a couple who bought the "everything will be perfect, if we just find our picture-perfect house" etc... Well, years and two children later, boy and girl, things just don't appear to be settling into the halcyon days promised. By every 50's standard, they had it all.

What Revolutionary Road poses is basically who are the "they" who write these rules in life, who promise paradise and deliver reality? When, where and what date did people let the "norm" become the only reality acceptable? When did he and she lose track of the ideas, dreams, hopes that get us through each redundant, mind-numbing day? Is the pioneer/adventurous spirit totally annihilated in this day and age? Have we,ourselves, been packaged, advertised and sold as a product that just fills in the spaces for society?

This is an adult movie by fact that the issues it deals with are grownup problems. Having grown up in the fifties, I remember when if you knew someone who was divorced, well there just had to be adultery there (heard of 2 divorces in my entire childhood!). Why? .....people stayed together, regardless! That is just the way it was. Many of us have lived through a lot of what this couple faces...the fights, the frustrations on both sides, having the 'perfect house" and still leaving one day when we could no longer say "I love you" and mean it!

Leo and Kate give superb performances as the troubled couple. They play the pathos with honesty and care. She is crying while doing the dishes. He is breaking things in anger and frustration. Friends and family are oblivious to the agony they feel inside. She needs to go outside just to breathe. He won't let things go until he "fixes" the situation. Kathy Bates also delivers a bravura performance as the local real estate agent. Her character's "crazy" son embodies the Devil's advocate. In the end, we wonder....who is the crazier in this situation?

Well worth the viewing all the way to the end, Revolutionary Road lets us stop and look, stand back and view ourselves, our lives from the outside. For those thinking of marriage, for those 30 somethings who will relate, for people like me who have been there, done that and now market the T-shirt, this movie evokes those deeper emotions we stow away til a convenient time. It makes us pause and remember, any day, any time, I can retake my life. I AM the captain of my own ship...IF I take ownership of it!

My last thoughts as this movie ended, I sent to my daughter with thanks for the recommendation : )

"Every day we rewrite our lives, taking the fragments and rearranging them to suit the needs of the moment. Sometimes, the decisions we make, based on those fabricated collages of our existence, take us down a road from which we can never return. Some things are irreversible. Be careful how you chose. The mind tricks us into believing we are on the right path, because it is easier to believe the lie than face the truth, sometimes."

...quick thought...revolutionary as in fighting against the status quo...or revolutionary as in you revolved and ended up right where you started from???????????...may be both????

Time to get off the roundabout!

Great movie...watch it! OR, like my daughter buy it! : )
VINE VOICEon 17 February 2010
Missing this at the cinema I was very ready to see it on DVD. The disappointment comes from the old adage: if it 'aint on the page, it 'aint on the stage.

The film looked great, I couldn't fault the acting by all players(particularly DiCaprio.) Where we ran aground was story. Winslet apparently wanted to play the part badly, and it is a full-tilt performance from her; the downfall comes in that there's nothing to peg it to. More time was spent on DiCaprio's character, and we ended up knowing far more about him than Winslet playing his wife. Given the twist of things at the end, I found this very confusing as a viewer.
It was as though they were all so in awe of the subject matter that no-one stopped to ask if it all tied together. Who actually was April, as a person? It's not made clear - was that intended? I found it funny that DiCaprio's character got all the extra fleshing-out story, but Winslet's didn't. With the path the story takes, it only leaves us with sympathy rather than what we should have had: empathy.

Was April a woman only defined by her husband and his place in the world? Maybe that was the idea, but presented as it is in the film, the distance from her character makes it hard, very hard, to relate.

I haven't read Richard Yates' original book, and perhaps this is a spot-on adaptation, but if so, I wonder why they wanted to make it in the first place? It's not as though the themes here are unique - it has been done before - and much better - in films like Ordinary People or The Big Chill.

Digressing finally: I thought the soundtrack was very weak. Newman (the composer) did the beautiful music for Mendes' Road to Perdition, and here he seems to be just lazily riffing on that. He, like everyone, apparently infected with 'gravitosis'.

The real shame is, the background of the story, the premise, could really deliver a great tale. but there was no tale here - it's all about the angst. Thanks, but we can get enough of that in real life. In a film, it can't stand on it's own and be expected to hold everything together.