5.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW OF THE BOX SET ITSELF.
Let's face it, the stories and subject matter of the episodes themselves have been discussed and reviewed at length in reviews of the previous releases of the series, therefore I shall concentrate this review on just the new box sets themselves, and of course on the new remastered and completely re-worked CGI effects (FX) contained in them.

First of all the box...
Published on 27 April 2009 by Bertie Buggerington

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much remastering??
I'm a Trekkie, which is why i had to write this review.

I love the original star trek and couldnt wait to receive these remastered versions. However, they havent just been remastered, they have been altered, interfered with, ruined.

The colour and sound have been enhanced making it much nicer to watch but the space scenes showing the ships, shuttles...
Published on 7 Aug 2011 by Mr G

5.0 out of 5 stars A REVIEW OF THE BOX SET ITSELF., 27 April 2009

First of all the box set packaging: The unbelievably slimline sets arrive in fancy steel cases, with artwork as pictured in this listings. Inside the steel case is a plastic DVD case the likes of which I'm starting to see a lot more often, of which I believe they refer to as a Scanavo 'brick' style case. Basically it is like a very fat version of an Amaray case that can hold up to 8 DVD's in a very small amount of space - two discs each set inside both the front and back of the case, and a fold out 'leaf' that can hold up to two discs on either side of it - in the case of season 1 there are the full 8 discs. The actual spindle/lock mechanisms that keep the discs in place are very strong, and it is quite hard to get the discs out without bending them....it can be quite fiddly at first, and somewhat of a strain. I believe after a little bit of use they should loosen up a bit, making it easier to get at the discs.

Now the episodes themselves have never looked better. I believe Youtube is a great source of side-by-side comparisons of the original FX and this all new, completely re-worked CGI FX. But let me tell you what I think...the new CGI looks astonishingly good. I believe CBS Digital purposefully never utilised the full capability of today's CGI wizardry, as if it came out looking 100% photo realistic, it would be jarring for the viewer when it went from space CGI FX to the live action sequences...which let us not forget was all shot in the late 1960's. So they had to strike a balance, and for me they got it spot on. The new CGI blends beautifully with the live scenes. So, gone are the slightly wobbly models of old, hello to stunning new CGI ships with their fluid and more realistic animation. Gone are the old star fields and planets, hello to new CGI based star fields and planets - both of which actually do look photo real to me. Space and the ship models are not the only area to benefit from the new CGI - some of the the old flat matte painting backdrops that feature cityscapes and what-have-you have been replaced with new CGI ones. These CGI backdrops have much more depth and detail to them. They are very welcome indeed. Elsewhere you will spot other subtle touch ups, one of which I liked was the ending of the season 2 episode 'Catspaw'...where no longer are the alien creatures dancing around on string....the string is no more. For me that typifies why they have done this work...as quite simply it makes the series look better. Simple as that. Let us not take anything away from what was achieved back then, as I love Star Trek just the way it was, as I'm sure do you, but let us also not kid ourselves.....Star Trek The Original Series has never looked better than this.

All in all the work compliments what they achieved back in the 60's, and let us not forget that what they achieved back then was stunning and state-of-the-art for its time, but I firmly believe that had Gene Roddenberry been able to use today's technology, he would. Therefore I would like to think he would approve of the work done here. After all, nothing of the stories and subject matter have been changed, as George Lucas did with his restoration of Star Wars...it is purely a lick of digital paint. And if this is what it takes for the series to appeal to a younger generation of fans raised on mindboggling CGI, then I for one approve whole-heartedly. I've heard of dads trying to get their kids into TOS, only to see them giggle at the FX of old. No longer will that be the case, and TOS is now ready to accept a whole new legion of young fans that will no doubt have their interest sparked by JJ Abrams new movie. If purists do not like the FX, then by all means....go to eBay and buy the previous DVD releases if you don't already own them. Personally I now own both versions, and I am a huge fan of both. If I could only take one version of the sets on a desert island with me, however, these are the sets I would take.

Aside from the new CGI FX, the actual prints themselves have been cleaned and restored to beautiful effect. The true colours of the show are now very much in evidence...including a subtly green skinned Mr Spock, which comes as a big surprise to a lot of people...as this just never came through on TV or on previous releases. Kirk's once dull mustard coloured uniform shirt is actually a subtle lime green colour, for example. Nothing has been falsely created to acquire these colours....they have always been hiding away waiting to be revealed. At first I was worried this all wouldn't come through so much on the DVD versions, as they had first been reported in the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD reviews, but I can attest that the standard definition sets also benefit greatly. Of course the details will sing and dance a lot more in HD, but for SD DVD prints these are simply stunning. All hairs, dust and whatever else have been laboriously removed to leave them literally gleaming. The prints are, in a word, immaculate. If you use an upscaling DVD player with a HDMI connection, as do I, they look even better still. A great halfway house between bog standard SD and full HD.

Some fans may be a little sore that once again the episodes are presented in air date order, as many fans seem to prefer production order...but as TOS has always been episodic in nature, with no particular story arc to speak of, this doesn't bother me at all. I've always found watching in production order to be quite novel....but the novelty soon wears thin.

As regards special features (as listed on the packaging of Season 1):
They include: 'Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest' (rare home movies and special memories), 'Spacelift' (transporting Trek into the 21st century), 'Life Beyond Trek' (William Shatner), 'Reflections as Spock', 'Sci-Fi Visionaries' and 'Star Trek Beyond the Final Frontier'...and "much more" (which I guess means that there are more features than this, although that is all it actually lists on the box). So it appears that the bulk of the features included on the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray sets have remained intact for their DVD counterparts. One thing that never made it over would have actually been impossible given the capacity restrictions of the DVD format, and that was having a choice of both the original FX and the new CGI FX, which I know the Blu-Ray format gives you via fancy seamless branching. I am sure there are a small few other features that Blu-Ray has that would have been impossible on DVD, but rest assured that all the important stuff (documentaries, featurettes, interviews and what-have-you) from the HD releases are all present and correct. This is excellent news to those fans, like myself, not ready to make the jump to HD.

As regards audio and language specifications:
The audio languages are: English, French, German, Italian and Spanish. The bad news however is that only English is Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, and the rest are mono. I have run it through my amp to test that it isn't a misprint...I'm afraid not, it is Dolby 2 channel mono on all but the English track. This will be a shame to many as I know that lots of German fans in particular bought the slimline sets of TNG, DS9 and VOY here on Amazon UK (cheaper)....which I believe all contained a German 5.1 Dolby track. Subtitled languages on these new sets are: English, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish.

So there you have it. A fantastic DVD release. Easily the definitive DVD release of the original series. I bought all three seasons, and I am so glad I did. I had already managed to see a few of the restored episodes before now, but to own them all in my own collection is quite a feeling. I whole-heartedly recommend that you order all three. I can assure you, you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise ..., 23 Oct 2009
There have been a number of complaints about the packaging, content and visuals, some of which aren't quite accurate. Just to give those of you who have yet to buy this a clearer picture I will address some of points raised by others:

"The episode list isn't included in the packaging"

The episode list is included. The episodes are clearly listed on the inside on the front and back covers.

"The episodes aren't even in the right order"

Well, this depends on what you mean by 'right order'. The episodes are not organised by stardate, so from that perspective, no they aren't. However, the episodes follow the original order that they were aired, so from that point, they are in the right order.

"The first episode 'The Cage' doesn't even feature in the boxset at all."

Technically, wrong on both counts. 'The Cage' was a pilot episode which never actually aired during the original run of the series during the 60s. The first episode to actually air was 'The Man Trap' on the 8th Sept 1966. 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is in fact the first episode of series 1 with regards to both its stardate and production date. However, Despite this, the DVD boxset does actually refer to it as episode 2. The only character to survive from the pilot to 'Where No Man Has Gone Before' is Spock. In addition, 'The Cage' practically features in its entirety in the two part 'The Menagerie' so you wont miss out.

"The remastering and GCI looks animated and worse than the original"

Firstly, there is nothing 'animated' about the appearance of the remastering or CGI. It is a vast improvement or the original and yet fits in very well without looking out of place. The fact is, this is not the original. It is the remastered edition, so there is not much that can be done unless you can get your hands on the older now out of print DVD boxsets.

"The packaging is no good"

Well, if you have bought some of the other Star Trek series, which are almoght entirely in the 'slimline' format, you will know that it is no thrills and fairly flimsy. This however comes in a tin casing which houses a sturdy plastic case. A vast improvement on 'slimline' if you ask me!

And as for the viweing? After having worked my way from TNG to Enterprise I decided it was time to revisit the show that started it all. It has not disappointed so far and I am looking forward to Series 2. Well worth watching!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why we continue to watch, 22 July 2004
One of my earliest memories is being terrified of the puppet head in The Corbomite Maneuver during its first showing in the UK - I have been an unrepentant fan of the series and its spin-offs since then.
While at times the acting was hammy, the plots ridiculous, the special effects laughable, there is a sincerity to the writing that conveys Roddenberry's vision of a more-or-less Utopian future (certainly for the human race) better than the later franchises. What will be lost now is the daring quality that the show had when it was first released, with plot lines addressing relevant social issues, thinly disguised as SF and fooling only the censors. This sincerity gives the show its timeless quality, and the sometimes unsuccessful attempts to maintain these same standards have made the series, and the franchises that followed, watchable over its extended lifespan.
No comments on the technical aspects since the disks are on pre-order, but if you have even the remotest interest in Trek then the cleaned up episodes alone make the purchase price well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOSTALGIC BLISS - BD Release!, 8 Jan 2011
Frank Messely (Kortrijk, BELGIUM) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [1966] (Blu-ray)
Ah, I watched every episode back in the early seventies. I was a preteen. I guess I was what would later be called a Trekkie. Now I bought the season 1 series on BD. I was hesitant after reading some negative reviews dealing with the restored version. As the BD provides us with both the original and the restored version -- the latter CGI enhanced -- one is free which version to watch. But I want to focus on the restorations. Well, the original STAR TREK series have never looked as good as they do now. I like the pure nostalgia of the original visuals, of course, but I also like the restored version, and this for the following reason: they have chosen the golden mean. The FX look more 'sophisticated', yes 'updated', but there is no exaggeration here. Visually, everything perfectly fits. The question one should ask is: If the makers of the original series would have had the means to create these effects, mattes, CGI, etc, would they have done it in this way? I think the answer is yes. The people who created this BD version probably kept this in mind while working on it. There is nothing wrong with this restored version. Overall, it remains faithful to the original atmosphere, I never got the feeling they visually raped it. And I guess the fact that this new version exists is proof that Kirk, Spock, Bones, etc, are still very well alive in the 21st century. I think these BD releases are the ultimate version to own. Can't wait to buy season 2 & 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars To Boldly Go To Where We've Been Before, 17 Sep 2004
By A Customer
The icon that is Star Trek is nearly forty years old, and it's about time that the Original Series was given the DVD treatment.
Paramount have previously released the original series on VHS, but we have had to wait some time for the release on DVD, and here we get the entire first season on 7 discs. An eighth disc contains the bonus features.
The outer packaging is bold and imaginative, however the pack is let down by the lack of production notes about the first series itself - all there is inside is a 12-side sleeve, with only 5 of those sides directly mentioning what you've actually bought; the first series of Star Trek. The remainder is essentially advertising for the other DVD Star Trek franchise offerings.
Right, criticism aside. Why is this reviewed as a 5-star item?
Paramount have gone back to the master tapes for this series and have treated each episode to an upgrade for today's age. Comparing this DVD to broadcasted episodes I have on VHS show that the picture quality is improved, though not perfect. Remember that this is a television series cancelled after three years that is nearly forty years old now, and the masters were getting on a bit.
The sound has also been treated to a well-deserved upgrade, episodes are presented in 5.1 Dolby Surround, adding a much-needed depth to the presentation.
Star Trek fans will know that there is a prior pilot episode, "The Cage." This was included in the first VHS release of Star Trek 18 years ago. Strictly not part of the first season, although parts of it were used in the two part episode "The Menagerie," it is conspicuous by it's absence, and the pack looks and feels "incomplete" without it. Episode production numbers shown by the side of each episode title bear witness that there is no episode #1.
The episodes are presented here in airdate order - the order that they were first aired by NBC in the US, not as they were produced by Desilu. This means that the pilot episode "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is actually the third one on the discs, and it's left to "The Man Trap" kicks things off just as it did in 1966.
This item is a complete series as it was aired. As with any new series, you can tell that scriptwriters, directors and actors are getting into the feel of things and getting aquainted with their roles. Every series have their bad days, and Star Trek was no exception, there are stronger episodes than others - some are very weak indeed, but there are episodes in the first series that even now stand out as televisual gems. Do not miss "The Devil In The Dark", "The City On The Edge of Forever", or the episode that provided the foundation that sparked the Star Trek franchise with the 1982 release of Star Trek II, "Space Seed."
Some people knock the original series for hammy acting, bad plotlines and 1960's vintage SFX, however the original series cannot be ignored, it has influenced science-fiction and indeed life for three generations.
Even if you've seen every episode on television. Even if you've got every episode on VHS. Even if you're a Next Generation or later Star Trek fan, and think of TOS as the kooky uncle family members try and ignore, this DVD is a must-buy. After all, this little yellow box contains the seedlings of what has become a billion-dollar franchise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovingly And Respectively Remastered - Adds A Whole New Dimension To Star Trek, 28 April 2009
Jervis - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I think it's fair to say i'm a traditionalist, which pretty much means i'm stubbornly of the opinion that Star Trek worked best in its original sixties format whether that may be style, colour, dramatic storylines, choice of music, etc. and even down to the special effects - well certainly those relating to the look of the Enterprise. True, the Next Generation's effects were far more elaborate and fancy, but for me their Enterprise never really had the kind of gravitas afforded it, it was so wrapped up in effects, almost to the point of appearing just a touch cartoonish (in my opinion). Maybe this is the reason i felt a little wary of the new remastered version of the original series, especially considering many the old effects had been replaced by more up to date technology. I really needn't have worried, however, because these new features only seem to enhance what the original effects could only have dreamed of, because ultimately they stay true to the spirit of the original series. The stock scenes of the original series which were repeated time and time again have now given way to fresh more state of the art scenes which are pretty much exclusive to each of the storylines individually. This adds no end to the scope of the show, especially in the episodes where special effects appear prominantly, and it gives Star Trek that extra dimension it could only ever have dreamed of at its sixties outset. Even the music has been re recorded, but again it has been done so with a great deal of love and respect for its original style. In fact the new music aspect is hardly noticeable aside from the fact the music has a much fresher and cleaner feel to it.

Aside from the new effects, the first season of the original Star Trek series is arguably the best in terms of possessing consistently strong storylines (Season two was perhaps the greatest in terms of developing the characterisation more fully). There's a greater attention to detail within the scripts than what was to come later (season three).

Generally this DVD set opens up a whole new dimension to Star Trek without ever jeapodising the original vision of the show. The show has been handled with genuine love and affection by those who have been assigned to work on its upgrade, and also with considerable respect. For that i cannot voice my appreciation enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beam on down!!!, 12 Feb 2005
Anyone who thinks that Star Trek is boring will be changing their views after seeing this collection. 29 episodes in all, and only one of them is a dud ('The Alternative Factor', if you can watch it without getting confused you've more brains than me!) Aside from that one, every episode is worth watching. My particular favourites are 'Where No Man Has Gone Before', 'The Corbomite Manouver' and 'Miri', three superb stories, and there are many, many, more. The great thing about the original series is that it is fun and entertaining, not filled with all the 'techno-babble' that made some of the follow up series, especially 'voyager', tedious. Beam on down, it really is great fun!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly remastered., 2 Mar 2009
The remastered original trek episodes are fantastic, so much attention and love has gone in to them and it shows when you watch them, the new added effects look amazing and yet still look like they belong.
The negative reviews are unfair as they are not reviewing these box sets but are un happy with the fact that the HD ones are no longer in production because blu ray has won the war. I also bought the HD box set but I chose to do so before the victor came through now that's my fault and no one else's. I have not got money to throw away and am upset at having to now try to sell my other set but I will be buying these sets with out fail.

5.0 out of 5 stars For German Customers, 13 May 2009
Ing Heise - See all my reviews
I received the box yesterday.
Well, apart from that this remastered BluRay edition is worth every penny/cent, it also comes with GERMAN(Deutsch) LANGUAGE selection. Make the timejump back to 70's when you had to bath on saturday evening before you were allowed to have your weekly episode of Enterprise. :-))

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! No tin box, anymore: plain cardboard slip., 6 May 2010
Giorgio (Como (CO), Italy) - See all my reviews
I've been waiting for the price to drop on these boxsets. Eventually it did, but, unfortunately, at the expense of the beautiful tin boxes they used to come with.

I think it would have been just proper to stress out the difference between the two editions.

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [1966]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [Blu-ray] [1966] by Herschel Daugherty (Blu-ray - 2009)