4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, shame about the remaster
This is my favourite 10CC album, full of catchy, witty and rather disturbing songs. "Don't Hang Up" is particularly moving as is the better known "I'm Mandy, Fly Me". The album version of "Art For Art's Sake" is longer than the single edit and all the better for it.

Published on 13 Aug. 2007 by Paul Sherwin

Disappointing indeed. Advertised as Japanese Remaster with Bonus Tracks (Single mixes of 'Mandy & 'Art). Not so just the B side extra same as the awful Universal release. Pretty much the same muddy quality mastering as the Universal as well. Nice artwork though. My advice would b look for the late 80s German Mercury release.
Published 5 months ago by robert elford

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, shame about the remaster, 13 Aug. 2007
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)

Unfortunatly the remastering on this reissue is poor with a distinct lack of presence and top end, especially on the drums. All the 10cc reissues prepared by this mastering engineer (Roger Wake) seem to have problems, possibly because they were produced from analogue stereo dubs rather than the original multitrack tapes.

Much of the original Hipgnosis album artwork is also absent from this reissue.

Any decent record collection should contain this album, but it may be an idea to look for a different reissue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tinny lead singing a la Adolf H, 1 Jun. 2012
subject2status (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This sounds somewhat dated and all a bit tinny now but it still sounds better than the 'taped' version I had on my old cassette player back in the day.

At less than three pounds, I was driven to legitimise my purchase and finally get to re-hear the lesser known and lesser played tracks that so amused fans back in the 70s...

The singles are well known - 'I'm Mandy, Fly Me' and 'Art For Arts Sake' - and the lyrics still sound as refreshingly clever as in 1976.

The tracks I longed to hear again were 'Don't Hang Up' (with then-trendy sound effects and a change-of-pace tune) and 'I Wanna Rule The World' (Lead singing a la Adolf H). Sheer genius but, like I said, a bit tinny.

We've heard about the vol-au-vents exploding elsewhere but did you hear "We had some honeymoon on itchy bedding, scum buzzing round your busy body, dumb waiters waiting sweating straining, all mass-debating my woman"

'Tis funny. 'Tis cheap. 'Tis on my iPhone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still smarter than the average bear, 19 Sept. 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This was one of the earliest albums I bought, though I already had their previous effort on cassette. It was about a year after its original release and at that time it was a state-of-the-art pop album. The ambience of some of the tracks, especially "Lazy Ways" and the opening of the unedited "Art For Arts Sake", still gives me a tingle. At times it seems to have an unusually wide soundscape.
By the time 10cc recorded this however, the music press were tiring of what they saw as an increasingly cold, smug cynicism. In other words, nobody likes a smart alec. For me however, this is just another high quality release from the classiest pop band the UK produced in the 1970s.
Occasionally, they overelaborate to irritating effect. There is just too much thrown into "I Wanna Rule The World" for instance, but the combination of melody and arrangement on "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" has an incomparable effect. You might think 10cc were too clever by half, but on this album they were even cleverer than that.

4.0 out of 5 stars An underrated classic, 28 May 2007
Paul Rance (Whaplode Drove, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This is 10cc's finest album. Some tracks get in the way, like 'Head Room' and 'Iceberg', but there's some beautifully lush moments in 'Lazy Ways', 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' and 'Don't Hang Up'. Eric Stewart's guitar playing is especially notable, and the musical prowess of the group is apparent throughout.

The title track, and opener, is the sparkling instrumental, 'How Dare You', seamlessly followed by 'Lazy Ways' - a smooth song for summer. 'I'm Mandy Fly Me' is a wonderfully crafted pop song. A great pop song indeed, and somewhat underrated. 'I Wanna Rule The World' is 10cc at their most eccentric.

'Art For Arts Sake' has the most interesting lyrical content of any track on the album, and shows the band at their rocking best. 'Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby' is a charming singalong, and the final track, 'Don't Hang Up', allows Kevin Godley's wonderfully moving voice to really shine.

Irritating to very witty, lyrically, and musically - as always with 10cc, but this is no curate's egg, and, sadly, Creme & Godley's leaving the group soon after left us wondering what if...Along with Queen, 10cc were the most inventive and creative British group of the mid-'70s.

- Paul Rance/booksmusicfilmstv.com.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 5 Mar. 2012
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I was not sure at first if this actually was a CD as the price seemed so good.
On re-reading, sure enough it was a CD. It arrived the very next day which, given
this was all about a trip down memory lane, was fantastic as I could hardly wait
to hear it again. And it didn't disappoint. I was immediately transported back
twenty five years (yes it was several years old even then on the old eight track)
only the quality of sound was better.

The songs transcend time and remain clever, musical and poignant.

I am very pleased with my purchase and would have no hesitation buying from this seller
in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced my original copy, 26 May 2012
Dave M (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I bought this album when I was a teenager working Saturday's in Boots (we used to call them Gramophones in those days :-) ). I loved the album then and, although times have changed, I still think it is one of the defining albums of the decade and I am now enjoying hearing it all over again without the crackles and hiss.

If you liked it once, now might be time to replace your old "gramophone"...

4.0 out of 5 stars How dare you not buy this CD?, 25 Jun. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
If you're browsing the 10cc section, the chances are that you already have a reasonable idea of what you're looking for. Well, you've found it. 'How dare you?' stands up against the very best that 10cc has to offer. With only the occasional lapse in concentration, the band present us with another classic body of work. With enough hooks to snare the harshest critic, it's all aboard for a ride through pop standards, lavish production numbers, tight harmonies, and technically adept guitaring. 'Art for art's sake', 'Lazy ways', 'Rock and roll lullaby', and 'Don't hang up' stand up to the test of time particularly well, but if that's not enough for you then 'I'm Mandy fly me' should do the trick.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much the same muddy quality mastering as the Universal ..., 29 Oct. 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Music top notch, sound not, 21 Dec. 2010
D. J. Roberts (Hertfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
There are some good reviews here which describe the music in depth, so I won't.

I absolutely agree about the sound though - very muddy and not very dynamic at all. Always was.

Compared with the three previous albums, where the original production and mastering gave a real sense of attack and excitement to the music, the music is not served well here.

I have the first cd issue, this remaster and a first press vinyl copy. The sound on the original vinyl was deeply flawed, very dull, and so will the cds be, hence only four stars overall. It sounds as it sounds and remastering alone isn't going to help much.

Added to which I have heard, but don't know, that allegedly Eric Stewart won't release the original tapes and, if correct, this has only compounded matters. I just enjoy the album as it is for the top quality of the music and craftsmanship of the players who put it together.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still fresh...., 11 Sept. 2008
M. Mackinnon "celsis" (Carrigaline, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
This album, by one the most quirky, smart bands that ever existed is a must to own.

More melodic than "Sheet Music" and not so cynical as "The Original Soundtrack," this album really signifies the end of the original 10cc. By this time, the Gizmo was included on almost every track and Godley & Creme had realised that to develop it further, they'd have to leave the band.

Having said that, this album is a prime example of the "All Killer, No Filler" genre. Buy this! You won't be disappointed!