5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Bargain!
I've had this lens for a few months now, it was my first purchase for my D90 kit and while it's not a cheap lens, it's not expensive either and for what it can do, I can't imagine spending my money better.

Published on 31 Aug 2010 by James Mousley

3.0 out of 5 stars Good lens but not a must have
If you are an amateur and trying to decide whether to buy this as your 2nd or 3rd lens, then you may find this review useful. But please be aware that this is my personal view. So if it does not match with your views, just ignore and carry on with your choice. I don't want to create a troll here :-)

I was brainwashed by rave views in photographic forums about...
Published 15 months ago by Mobi

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost a Bargain!, 31 Aug 2010
James Mousley (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)

The lens equates to a 'normal' view lens on a DX camera (what the eyes see, basically) and so it is a general pupose lens - ok, we can pretty much rule out macro work and long range telephoto shots, but it is just great for everything and I do mean 'everything' in between.

For your money you get f=1.8 glass, that's fast enough for pretty much anyone I reckon, a couple of stops in at most and you've got sharp subjects and lovely dof.

There are forums and discussion sites, chewing the cud over which is the best 'portrait lens', the 35, 50 or 85mm (or indeed the 105mm) and being fairly new to this game, I'm trying to learn from people who speak reason and the best statement I've found so far was in response to this question - 'if you view a particular lens as only having one job, based on its focal length, then you're going to take pretty much average pictures with minimal creativity'. Personally, I've found it's much better to grab a short prime (this one!), run around, get loads of pictures, make your legs do the zooming so you can focus (no pun intended) on composing a great shot and see what happens...and just for the record I have taken some great head and shoulder portraits with this lens.

The only other thing I can add, while I'm on the soap box and handing out free advice, is in relation to people criticising plastic mounts on some of the DX lenses (this one included) and the fact that they apparently break when their camera is banged or dropped. The conclusion that I have come to so far is that it's best not to drop your prized and hard earned posession, as damage will likely ensue. Should you be one of the unfortunates who does treat their camera to a good pasting, surely it is better that the plastic mount breaks (possibly repairable), rather than the expensive glass work, or the camera case, or the internals of the camera....sorry if I sound sarcastic, but I've only been in this game for 6 months and already I'm sick of people bleating about this. If you agree, click the 'useful' button on this review, hopefully, I'm not alone!

Now go and buy the lens, it's great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good days are here again!, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
The last 50mm prime lens that I used was on a Canon FX back in the Sixties, the only lens that I owned and it served me well. Decades later I now own a D5000 with a couple of zoom lenses up to 200mm. I bought the Nikkor 1.8 on the strength of some reviews and for the optical quality that I could'nt afford in a top end zoom. I am not disappointed, not by a long chalk. This lens is a cracker, it now lives permanantly on the camera. It has learned me once again to work for composure and the optical quality is stunning. Forget a macro lens, this lens will focus close enough to crop out your selection and you have brilliant, cheap autofocus macro. I have shunned prime lenses for over 20 years, what a mistake! This could be the only lens you ever need. Top quality buy, highly recommended. Bear in mind this is a 35mm lens but the 1.5x crop factor on a digital D series Nikon will give the eqivalent of 50mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars DX Superstar!!!, 30 Oct 2010
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
I have had this lens for almost 18 months now and I find myself using it all the time -along the 16-85 DX.

This lens is sharp, light, focuses very fast and handles very well. What else can you ask?

It has a bit more distortion than I would like but NX2 and LR3 can correct it very easily and very well.

Keep this in mind: there is no substitute for sharpness and speed.

You can correct the little distortion it has, and the inevitable CA of every lens. But no software can make up for the lack of sharpness or speed of a lens.

-----------------------------------
The hidden benefit of using a prime
-----------------------------------
I made a recent trip to Berlin and this was the only lens I took along with my D90. When I got back home, the quality of the images blew me away (once more). The pictures were tack-sharp and I had great flexibility to move from bright daylight to the dark night.

However, the pictures were better in another sense: my composition was much better than what usually is with zoom lenses. Why? Because a fixed focal length forces you to think harder about your composition!!!

If you really want to improve your photography put this gem in your DX body and leave it there for the next three months. You'll be amazed with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikkor 35mm f1.8G AF-S - A star performer!, 2 April 2009
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
I was looking for a fast prime lens to complement my recently purchased Nikon D60. Unfortunately, and despite being warned about this before I bought the D60, I can only use AF-S lenses with built in focus motors - all other AF lenses rely on a focus motor in the camera body, which the D60 doesn't have. So, when I started looking, choice was limited... but during my search, Nikon announced this 35mm f1.8 lens - perfect!

After a few weeks of waiting for suppliers to get this lens in stock, I found this one on Amazon. Delivery was quick and on receipt, it was straight on my camera!

So far, after only a couple of days of use, I am very, very impressed. Low light pictures are very good - I can take a decent photo indoors at night with only one lamp on in the room, and with the lens at f1.8, shutter speeds of 1/15 or 1/30 can be achieved at ISO 400. Also, as another comparison, I tried the same composed shot with this lens in the kit 18 - 55 VR - just a general shot of my desk, phone and wall. With all settings the same, zoom (on the kit lens), composition, ISO etc., the only difference being the aperture - at 35mm, the kit lens was f4.0 I think... shutter speed for the kit lens was 1/30s and the f1.8 was 1/300s! 10 times faster!

The other thing to comment on is the depth of field - portraits are so much better with the background being so much more blurred (in a good way!)with a DoF at the largest aperture of only a couple of inches.

I also think the pictures are a lot sharper and more detailed. I don't know if this is normally expected with a prime vs a kit zoom, but it's noticeable.

So... if you are after a fast general purpose lens for your focus-motor-less Nikon D40, D40x or D60, then this is the one to get. It's not cheap, but having just forked out for it, I would say it's worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, versatile lens., 26 July 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
This is the first Nikon prime lens I've bought. I have a Nikon D5100 with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 55-300mm zoom lens I bought separately.

I decided to buy this based on other reviews saying that it's sharp as a knife and it was definitely the right decision.

At first (being used to the 55-300mm) I was a bit miffed at having no zoom ability but the quality of the shots from this lens more than makes up for it. It is very quick when using the auto-focus and with the 1.8f-stop it really shines in taking portrait shots, accentuating the brilliant short depth of field shots with its incredible light handling abilities.

I haven't tried this at night yet but I can already tell it will throw up some interesting long exposure results based on the clarity of the light I was getting from sunset portrait shots.

I am going to take the advice I've read in some of the great reviews and keep this bad boy on my camera for a few weeks. Others have commented that with the lack of zoom you are forced to explore and moving your body instead of the zoom allows you to work on a better composition. My holiday snaps will definitely look better than the usual ones with me sitting on my backside with my zoom lens.

Just buy it... for the price alone its worth giving it a try. I think if you are an amateur enthusiast like me you will be pretty amazed with the results!

EDIT: Somebody commented on this review - that it is so positive but only 4 stars. They are quite right! The only downside (and this is minor but does knock a star off) is that the auto-focus mechanism unfortunately reflects on how low priced the lens is. It sounds squeaky and not very smooth. It doesn't affect the quality of the results but does give the impression that the build quality isn't up there with some of the more expensive lenses.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nifty-Fifty equivalent for the D40 and D60, 13 Sep 2009
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
A nify-fifty lens (50 mm prime lens) is a standard piece of kit in most photographer's kit. However, with the DX format sensor in the D40 and D60, this new 35mm prime is roughly equivalent to the traditional 50mm.

This is prime lens, meaning that you can't change the zoom. However, you can change the aperture, all the way down to a wide-open aperture of f/1.8. At this aperture size, you'll get an extremely shallow depth of field, resulting in very aesthetically pleasing blurred backgrounds. This maximum aperture size aso means that it's ideal for low-light shooting as you can acheive relatively fast shutter speeds.

This is a very sharp lens, and a great multi-purpose, walkaround lens. It hasn't been off my camera since buying it over a month ago and I've been extremely impressed with its range and versatility.

5.0 out of 5 stars This may have replaced my kit lens, 2 Aug 2010
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
I've only had this lens a week, but so far I am really really enjoying it. Far more than I thought I would.

I bought this lens off the strength of Ken Rockwell's 'Dream Team' recommendation (that is the only 3 lenses you need are the nikon 10-24mm, nikon 35mm f1.8 dx and the nikon 55-200mm vr). I haven't forked out the 600 for the 10-24mm yet, but I will eventually, so I got the other two in the meantime. I have a D60.

I can honestly say that I thought I would hardly use this lens. I thought I would store it away only really bring it out for the occasional indoor shot I do at a gig or something. I thought it would be too short for portraits too.

Oh how wrong was I...

It's true what they say - the 35mm on a dx camera really is an ideal all-round focal length. It's not too short for portraits. Anything but. I've already taken some good portrait shots with this lens.

Then there's the depth of field. This has basically opened-up a whole new dimension in my photography. The kit lens doesn't come close to this in terms of shallow depth of field. The aperture goes so big, that sometimes it's TOO big and you have to actually concentrate on getting the aperture right to keep more in focus. Other times, you'll love the fact that you can open it right up and get a really shallow depth of field. It's just SO versatile.

PLUS the image quality is excellent. Not only is it sharper than the kit lens, but straight away you notice that the images have more contrast and better colour rendition too.

PLUS it's only 170. It's an absolute gem. I've only had it a week but I seriously anticipate it will be a long time before my 18-55mm vr kit lens gets used again.

You DON'T miss the extra zoom of the kit lens. And I haven't yet missed the wider angle of the kit lens, which is a suprise. I thought I would, but the way I see it now is that the kit lens doesn't go THAT wide. Even at 18mm you're not really getting the dramatic characteristics that a 10-24mm can deliver. So the way I see it now, is that I may as well leave this 35mm on and enjoy the hugely improved creative possibilities that the wide aperture delivers, enjoy its superb image quality and let it hone my compositional skills as a photographer. I've found that being forced to be a little bit 'zoomed-in' all the time improves my composition straight away without me even trying. It's always tempting to go wider, but most of the time you're better off 'tightening-in' a bit anyway.

If I want wide-angle, I'm going to get the 10-24mm. And I do want that lens for landscapes. I don't think I'll bother using my 18-55mm much, if at all, until then!

Trust me, 35mm on your dx dslr really is an excellent focal length and with it being a prime, the images it returns are superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, a thing of beauty, 17 Feb 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
This lens never came off my Nikon D3100 before I recently moved over to Canon, and before that it was on my D40. The image quality is fantastic, it is light, reasonable build quality for the price (much better than the equivalent Canon) and will enable you to take much clearer pictures than your 18-55 kit lens. I mainly used it for street photography and family pictures. I bought mine for 188 but see the price has dropped, making it even better value.

It really is a thing of beauty, I have used it for around a year before I bought a Canon 5D Mark II, unfortunately Canon's equivalent costs approximately double, the Canon prime lenses around the same price range and flimsy and noisy in operation. I mainly use a 24-70 f2.8L lens on my Canon, but I do miss my Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S though. I am not a professional (ie. don't make a living from photography), just an amateur who does it for the love of it.

This lens will enable you to take pictures in low light with no flash, and natural lighting always looks so much better than flash. In daylight it still enables you to take fantastic shots with a narrow depth of field (ie. your subject is focus and everything else nicely blurred out). The images are sharper than the standard 18-55 kit lens Nikon sell most cameras with (although if you haven't got your camera yet consider buying 'body only' - ie. no lens - and getting this as your lens).

This was perfect for my crop (DX) sensor body (basically any Nikon camera under 1,500) as they magnify the image by 1.4x so this lens is equivalent to a 50mm lens on a 35mm film camera. This lens looks as the world as the eye sees basically, so the image does not look zoomed in or out. If you have a full frame (FX) camera like the Nikon D700 or newer D800 I would probably consider the 50mm 1.8 prime instead. Personally I wouldn't get the 50mm prime lens for a crop sensor body as it is a little too tight for many indoor group shots.

This lens also has an internal auto focus motor (hence called AF-S rather than AF) which you need on the smaller lighter Nikon cameras, which do not have built in auto focus motors such as the D40, D3100, etc.

Don't worry that this lens has a fixed focal length, all you need to do it step backwards or forwards to fill the frame with what you want, you will get used to it and this lens will give you much sharper more interesting pictures.

From the minute you put this on your camera you will be hooked, if you have a Nikon buy this and forget the rest, including the expensive zooms. My only advice though is to get the most from this lens you will need a learn a little bit about your camera (even just how to use aperture priority mode), if you are the sort of person who leaves your camera in Auto mode all the time you won't get the best of this magnificent lens.

Now stop reading and get it! As an additional word of advice make sure you buy this directly from Amazon and not a market place seller to ensure you get a genuine UK copy which is covered in the UK by Nikon's warranty, otherwise you may have issues if there is a problem with it within the warranty period, it's worth the bit extra for peace of mind.

I hope this review helped someone, feel free to ask any questions if I can help!

Cheers

5.0 out of 5 stars For the Price - AMAZING. . ., 7 July 2013
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
Fantastic lens, incredibly sharp from corner to corner, renders bokeh beautifully, manual use is a little loose [ goes past the infinity mark a tad, so you have to bring it back a little ]; superb value for money for the price, I use it on my Nikon D5100 and the images I'm now getting by shooting RAW are the equal in optimal lighting conditions to that which you can get from the D3S/X - really!
In low light, it is equally superb - how it manages to pull in the light from enviroments that are extremely low-key I do not know - amazing!
Brilliant lens.

5.0 out of 5 stars the only lens that you should carry around with your DSLR, 10 Aug 2012
This review is from: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens (Camera)
This has been probably the best 150 I have spent till now on my camera equipment. Extremely sharp images at low light with a great Bokeh Effect in your portrait shots. Would recommend anyone looking for their first prime lens to go for this one - definitely worth the buy. Just cannot convince you anymore.

Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G Lens