on 25 November 2013
Of course shooting Nerf guns at living targets is ever so much more fun, there are times when the rest of the family get rather fed of up with being used for target practice, especially when fishing yet another dart out of my tea. Just shooting without having anything to shoot at isn't much fun though, so we started looking for a suitable target. We had narrowed it down to three possibilities - this target and the two official Nerf targets. I had my reservations about the nerf ones as the basic one has quite poor ratings, and it appears that it may only work with certain darts and even then not very well. My son chose this because he thought seeing the target spin would be more fun than noises and lights. Needless to say I find something quietly spinning much more fun than noises and lights, especially as this often gets played in the living room.

This is just a simple wooden frame which folds flat for easy storage and three corrugated plastic cards with a large pin through them. At first we thought these were cardboard, which I would have found disappointing, but even with plastic, these will not be very sturdy. They are fine for something like nerf darts, but this actually comes up in a search for airsoft targets too. We do own several airsoft guns and I can guarantee you most of them would go right through this plastic. The target is 14" wide and 9" tall. The individual targets are 8" x 3", which is more than adequate to be able to hit more often than not from across the living room. We use this with regular Nerf darts and Nerf Vortex.

My oldest son loves this and has had hours of play with it. I like it too as it is quiet, does not require batteries and is somewhat educational since you have to add up your own scores. The targets are heavier at the bottom so they always stop spinning with the numbers upright which is nice as well, meaning no running back and forth to reset targets. It is well balanced too, and it never falls off the table when we shoot it. My youngest enjoys this as well - but he won't stay with it as long as with a living target.

My son and I both share the same complaint with target though. We both think the spinning targets should have been made of solid rather than corrugated plastic. This has fallen from a very low table ( about 24" and one target now has a slightly bent corner. I also feel that the frame is quite light and could be easily damaged. My children tend to be very careful with toys, but I could see some children breaking this very easily. I won't be rating down too harshly. This is much cheaper than any of the other alternatives and I do feel it is more fun as well. I suppose even if you only got a year out of the toy the price is fair enough, but personally I'd have preferred to pay just a bit more for something a bit sturdier. Even so, for the price of this, it would be a wonderful extra for a child receiving a new Nerf gun for Christmas. I am still glad I bought this, and in all honesty, if it did break I would buy another in fact I may buy another to customise with photos anyway. I would certainly recommend this for Nerf guns, but I would not recommend this for any type of pellet gun, airsoft gun, or anything that shoots missiles harder than Nerf darts.

I still would have liked a heavier plastic - but I do think this will last a few years at least, and I will buy another if anything happens to it. In fact buying a new target every few years would be sure to cost less than replacing the batteries in some of the electronic ones - assuming they last long enough to replace batteries. I have upped my rating to a full five stars though based on two new bits of information:

1 These are hand made in the UK. I like supporting initiative like this. This is the type of thing that helps small businesses to grow in our country - and may in time lead to more UK employment. Additionally, we don't have to worry about unfair working conditions or child labour with a small home grown business like this. I think we have to appreciate that it is harder to keep costs down in the UK, and this is sold an incredibly reasonable price.

2. This is made with wood from replenishable sources. I happen to be one of those people who likes trees - and I like knowing that the products I buy are not having a negative impact on the environment.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 25 April 2012
We purchased a rubber band gun and target for our son who suffered brain damage whilst undergoing cancer treatment recently, which has effected his coordination. We thought that this would be a good way to help him work with this and it has been brilliant. Fun and therapy, it ticks all the boxes and is well made. Great purchase.
on 11 February 2013
Bought this for my nephew at Christmas, when it arrived I wasn't sure how long it would last as my nephew is 6yrs old .
but to my surprise its still in one piece and he uses it a lot. Thought it might stop him shotting nanny but it hasn't , it's just improved his aiming !
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Sometimes the simplest toys are the best - and this spinning target is a case in point - my kids love it, and the slightly larger version we also own, and having targets has really added to the play value of their various Nerf Guns.

The target is simple to assemble - just a matter of adding the stickers to the 4 spinning targets - each is 5cm by 20 cm - as per the picture. It's surprisingly satisfying when you hit a target. We've found that the targets stays upright no matter what fire power we hit it with, and the lightweight plastic targets are robust enough to cope with plenty of play.

There's a charming old fashioned feel to this British made toy - it's true that there are no bells and whistles and it's a handmade looking item - for me that adds to its charm. It feels like it has been made with love, rather than being a mass produced plastic fantastic item. All the pieces of wood are properly sanded and a good point is that it stores flat, taking up next to no place.

We're delighted with this target - it's much better than our previous arrangement of piling up random items to shoot at. I've bought one for a nephew too - it was light and easy to post. I would highly recommend this toy as my kids love it; it's worth thinking of buying the slightly bigger one if you have more than one child who is going to play.
on 12 January 2014
Large Spinning Target, For Nerf Gun and Rifles, Crossbow and Hand Bow, new design for 2013 - a great present for any budding indoor assassins! Made in the UK!

This target was ordered for use with Nerf Guns which had been a Christmas present. To prevent ructions when my 10 year old daughter started using egg cups as "targets" and having to get up and down resetting them, I ordered this spinning target.

When it arrived I wondered how good it would be as it seemed extremely lightweight, however it is easy to set up and folds flat for storage and has been hit countless times and it actually works as designed, it still looks as good as new. I examine and (ahem) test it quite regularly myself just to be sure you understand. I'd recommend it to anyone and it keeps ornaments, pets etc. safe therefore keeping the Mrs off Dad's back!

On a more serious note the packaging was excellent and it is Made in Britain (that point alone makes it fairly unique and worth buying/supporting)
on 5 March 2012
I was happy to find something to try out for birthday gifts for our 10 year old son's friends that was not made of plastic, imported, and which involved action and enjoyment. We gave one spinning target and rubber band gun as a gift and it was so well received and enjoyed that I then ordered a few more for more ensuing birthday parties.The targets and rubber band guns have been met with great appreciation. Parents tell me that the whole family gets involved and I have not hear anything negative about the target falling over. These items are well crafted and one can see the handmade quality. I do not doubt their durability if used properly and I am pleased to help support a small family run business that takes pride in its work, provides work for people in the community, and which offers unique items at affordable prices. By the end of the year I bet our son's entire class will have one!
Best regards,
Mrs D A Schoenherr
on 1 December 2013
Up until now all the Nerf darts were around the house. Now they are all in one place, just by this lovely target.

House tidy! Yippppppeeeee ... great buy!
on 3 October 2013
We bought one each for our 10 yo twins (boy & girl)and they are perfect. We have had fantastic fun with all sorts of Nerf guns and bow and arrow sets.

They are a basic design but do the job perfectly and are well made with wooden main parts. We have found they stand and stay upright well - even under heavy attack!

Highly recommend.
on 5 June 2013
I am very pleased with this target's durability and sturdiness. The actual targets themselves spin freely and the pole through the middle is designed slightly off centre so they will always come to a rest back in their original position with the scores and bullseye facing you.

It has 2 pivoting legs that you can move into the best position for you and this ensures it won't be knocked over by the dart your firing at it. (In my children's case Nerf darts).

I have tried to knock this over myself and it simply cannot due to the design.

All in all a great purchase as the cost of a new TV screen is much more than the cost of the target you see here (My boys are deadly with Nerf guns!)

Also as you can see from the comments the seller (and maker) of this target is interested in good customer satisfaction, and I have to say well done for that too.

I would recommend this product but not only that, I would recommend this seller too.

Well done.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 December 2013
This is a great product and does exactly what it aims to do- obvious pun intended!

Although it looks fairly basic, given how much is costs - there isn't much you can get for under £10 these days in the toy department, it provides a great target for nerf gun games and therefore provides excellent value for money.

It is fairly light weight, so we will need to think about how we give it more stability for garden play, but overall a great addition to the toy box and means that my nephew has a distraction from using his sister as target practice.

My only low rating is for its educational value, but then who buys a target for its educational value!

The customer service from Surefire was first class, a special thank you to Leslie who resolved a little hitch in super quick time.