Format: DVD|Change
Price:£9.19+ £1.26 shipping

on 2 November 2012
A reminder of a great day for English football. This DVD has a running time of 114 minutes whereas the match lasted for 120 minutes. It states that it is 'dead ball edited for the first 90 minutes'. It is certainly more complete than the BBC DVD which I had previously bought from Amazon. (But bearing in mind that the BBC produced a 1991 VHS with a running time of 130 minutes, containing the complete match, I am surprised that nobody has simply converted that version onto DVD.)
on 1 July 2002
I'm not old enough to remember the 1966 World Cup Final but sure I've heard about it but I never saw the match full. So I got this DVD and, although it doesn't have the entire match (40 minutes or so is missing), it does show you what a great day that day was.
The entire programme is digitally remastered and it looks as if it could have been watching the programmes first ever airing, it is so clear, the picture.
The extra are good though not always the best. The audio commentary is amazing as Jack Charlton amongst others explain what was happening during the match and their experiences of it. The documentary gives some good insight in the 1966 World Cup and the interviews, with the late Kenneth Wolstenholme and Bobby Moore's wife, are interesting. Maybe a list of all the scores from the tournament would have been nice or maybe some more photos for the gallery.
But this DVD is a very special DVD, it recollects back the memories of that afternoon and is a special DVD to have in your collection
on 19 December 2014
This is just amazing - first because I realised it was the first time I had seen the game since I saw it live on the telly, but also to see how terrible some of the 'greats' actually were: Charlton shooting from everywhere even when there were several of his mates unmarked in much better positions; Beckenbauer losing the ball endlessly; every player seemingly required to dribble their way up the pitch even Wilson who lost the ball most times. A totally weird and wonderful experience - every modern footballer should be compelled to watch it to compare it to the constant pressure put on the players every minute of the game these days - it used to actually be fun!
on 8 July 2000
Due to the consistent failure of England teams to recapture that glory, the World Cup Final of 1966 remains the only day on which England regained the game it had given to the rest of the world. Let us not forget, though, that it was a great game of football. Geoff Hurst became the first and only player to date to score a hat-trick in a World Cup Final ( remarkable, really, from a player who many believed should have been dropped in favour of Jimmy Greaves ). Hurst's second goal may not have clearly crossed the line ( the Germans certainly didn't think it should have counted ) but that could take nothing away from an England team that kept battling and, overall, were the better team on the day. Sadly, the late Bobby Moore remains the only England captain in history to hold the premier trophy of the game his country gave to the world.
on 6 July 2010
A great match but I was disappointed that this DVD does not contain the full match (about 35-40 minutes is missing). The whole match is/was available on VHS and a version with only about six minutes missing is available on DVD. Personally I would not recommend this version: I would recommend buying one of the more complete versions.
55 comments|13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2016
I was age 11 when this first aired back on 30th July 1966. I'm from Newcastle upon Tyne and was stopping with my relatives in Chester for my summer holidays. I also watched the game originally in black and white as very few people had coloured TV's back then and this brought back lots of happy memories of us all crowded around their little TV set. We might have rose tinted glasses on when we think of England being World Champions and the players were obviously great players during that era but would they have lived with today’s modern footballers / athletes? Watching this video I have my doubts. Even if you've seen this before (many times in my case) it’s worth having your own record of that wonderful football occasion. Wembley's majestic twin towers and what was that horrible railing that ran along-outside the pitch? The Queen was there in all her glory 50 years ago. Plus, where was all the advertising in those days? Hearing Kenneth Wolstenholme's fantastic commentary makes you appreciate just how bad some of the present day TV football commentators really are. The one presently on BT has got to be the worst ever. (You probably know who I mean) There are subtitles for the hearing impaired and the whole DVD is just a polished gem. 50 Years since we last won a major trophy at international level and this is a great reminder of when England’s footballers were great. They think it's all over.........it is now.
on 14 November 2012
Its just great to watch this as it would have been watched that fateful day back in 1966, when people crowded around the nearest television to see all that wonderful drama unfold in glorious black & white. Imagine not knowing what the result would be. By the end of that day England were crowned champions of the world, and who was to know that we would all still be waiting for another glorious day like this. A wonderful piece of history and at least you can relive England winning the World Cup once upon a time.
on 3 June 2011
Fantastic value for money and received within 3 days , post-free.
Extra interviews etc. compared to original video tape .
A must for football supporters to suit modern equipment.
on 21 June 2015
Greatest day in English football! Every football fan should have a copy! If you don't appreciate this then you do not appreciate football
on 28 February 2016
wonderful enjoyed it.I remember watching it live in 1966 but do not know if will ever see them in the World CupFinal again.