5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Voice, 23 Oct 2003
Nicola Jarvis (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
I heard the ending of 'Did You Not Hear My Lady' on Classical FM and I just fell in love with the voice. It was declared that it was Aled Jones. I watched Aled on 'This Is Your Life' beforehand and I loved 'Walking In The Air' growing up so I was quite intrigued. I grabbed 'Higher' as soon as I saw it. Once I got it home it wasn't the CD with the song I heard so I ordered 'Aled' on Amazon (although 'Higher' is a great album also).
Aled Jones is a rare thing, since he does Classical music but is not a tenor. Most male vocalists really blow the words out but Aled sings in a gentle voice that flows naturally and it is so beautiful. Aleds voice is complemented by the boy choir 'Libera' who are most welcome. They sound wonderful together and the most breath taking collaboration would have to be on the track 'Vespera'. I had never heard this song before and it really took me by surprise. I think the cd was worth buying just for that one song. The album over all is of course wonderful, we have some wonderful composers (Eric Levi!) and a good choice of traditional songs. Not to mention the duet with himself when he was younger. Most songs are backed up by Libera (something that inspired me to buy a Libera album shortly after listening to this album).
The booklet takes a natural wood/countryside theme and has all the lyrics, even the ones in Welsh (or shall I say one?). You can't go wrong here, and if you are new to classical music, this a good start that will not scare you off unlike some of the bigger male vocalists (such as the Three Tenors).

5.0 out of 5 stars Aled's Return, 16 Oct 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
Those who are old enough to remember the stunning voice of Aled as a boy treble will be thrilled by this record. The magic that captivated the nation's heart 15 years ago is still there. The voice still has that clear and precise technique now linked to a stromg baritone.
The choice of music on this album will appeal equally to those who recall Aled's records from the 80's and a more recent generation who have come to know him as a most popular presenter - and performer - through BBC TV's "Songs of Praise".
The one new song on this album -"I Believe" - is magnificent. The final track - "O Holy Night" - where the mature Aled sings in duet with the young Aled the treble must be a stromg candiate for the Christmas No 1 spot this year.
Aled the treble left at the top of the charts. I think Aled the baritone has returned heading back in the same direction.
This album desreves six stars!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Aled Jones - Now the Man, 3 Nov 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
I have just purchased 2 Aled Jones CD's from Amazon, and how I have enjoyed listening to both. His voice has a clarity and tone that is pure delight to listen to. You can hear every word and understand what he is singing about. The hair on your neck seems to tingle as times. On this CD he sings religious songs, many that we all know and love. All are beautifully sung and pure delight to listen to but his duet with himself as a youngster has to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever produced.

Now Aled is a man his voice is as wonderful as ever, his range of notes fantastic. I look forward to purchasing more CD's in the future. Thanks Aled

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Aled, 23 Dec 2003
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
I cannot recommend this CD highly enough - I purchased the cd after hearing the sample 'o holy night' featuring the young Aled in duet with himself. My search was for a 'male choir' vocal rendition of this classic hymn,(as featured on the t.v. programme 'The West Wing').
However, having been extremely dissapointed with the Pavarotti version of 'o holy night', and as I am not the greatest fan of popular Christmas Carols, I purchased the Aled Jones version very much a 'last resort'.
I remembered Aled singing 'walking in the air' and expected to be dissapointed with the 'older Aled' matured voice, but was delighted to discover a wondeful singer, and a performer of true talent and emotion.
I cannot remember a previous occassion when I brought a CD for a particular track to discover all the songs on the entire CD to be equally enjoyable. This CD and singer far exceeded my albeit limited expectation! I was totally surprised at the depth and quality of Aled's voice, which more than does justice to the 'classical favourites' often covered by the more famous tennor voices!
This cd will leave you wanting more, especially remarkable as providing the listener with both a feeling of tranquility whilst still 'sending shivers to the spine'. Although not even vauguely a fan of Aled Jones in the past, after hearing him sing on this 'Aled' CD,I most certainly am now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Singing, Gorgeous Songs, 5 Nov 2009
H. Omer (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
I bought this CD several years ago (before Amazon Reviewing) and have enjoyed it so much, it's absolutley fabulous. Wide variety of songs interpreted by Aled Jones, from the Spiritual "How Great Thou Art" to lyrical Welsh and Latin tracks. Also includes a beautiful double rendition of "O Holy Night" which I play over and over every Christmas, with Aled dueting with his younger self on tape. Very moving. If you became a fan of Aled during his glorious spell with the Russian Minx Lilia Kopylova on Strictly Come Dancing in series 2 in 2004 (as I did) you will love this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aled's Back With A Great New CD, 10 Dec 2003
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
I never really like classical music and it was in fact my Mum who got this CD for christmas one year, and as you do, i was forced to listen to it at home and in the car. I was very suprised however to find that after about the third time of litening to it, i found that it was in fact starting to grow on me somewhat and before long, i had no worries about litening to it.
The last of these songs is actually a duet with 'old' Aled and 'young' Aled. This has been done by taking a recording of 'young' Aled singng O Holy Night, and then taken a recording of 'old' Aled singing O Holy Night and basically put them together so that they each sing a bit. It may sound a bit naff, but its really effective and the editing on it is fab.
As i have previously said, i have never particularly like classical music and i don't think i ever will, however i do like Aled and i would nessesaraly class him as a classical singer. well, he is, but he dosen't 'belt' the words out. He sings in a much softer, melow voice which flows naturally.
So, if you like classical music, then you will definatly like this, however if you don't then i would still recommend that you give it a try because you might be pleasently suprised like i was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aled - back with a vengeance!, 30 Oct 2002
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
This CD is truly excellent. For the first time in a while Aled has been allowed to give it all he's got and the result is stunning. His voice is so rich and strong and you really get to hear it let loose, particularly in the first track. The boys' choir Libera feature on several of the tracks and give it their usual ethereal quality and blend with Aled's voice brilliantly. This album is unique and should cater for a wide range of tastes. Every home should have a copy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Aled Jones / Aled (MP3 Download)
This is a lovely CD of Aled Jones. I have listened to it whilst on holiday with my friend who is a snorer in the first hour or two as she sleeps. This blocked her out and soothed me to sleep! Lovely music and lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Music, 10 Feb 2014
David Yates (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
Aled Jones' mellow tenor voice suits these largely religious songs, and these lovely renditions make listening a pleasure. I purchased the disc for the setting of Nunc Dimittis, but every track is a wonderful experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Homework, 23 Nov 2013
This review is from: Aled (Audio CD)
Purchased this in particular for the version of O Holy Night sung by Aled & his younger self. Easy listening - lovely disc

Aled Jones / Aled