5.0 out of 5 stars calm oasis, 20 Oct 2006
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
This is a very different album to 'Blue in Blue' by Patrick Hawes. Just for piano, it consists of the twelve pieces he has written for his Classic FM post as Composer in Residence (plus four other pieces). I have to say that the music is absolutely beautiful. It doesn't set the pulse racing - but it does console and caress, and there are a few really special tracks. The first track 'Towards the Light' really grows on you to the point I have to keep replaying it! Each of the pieces seems very descriptive to me. Many of them are haunting and nearly all of them have beautiful melodies. There are overtones of Einaudi - and yet this is very different, more 'English' music. It's just the right album for a dinner party or to put on while you're working. But I've also found it is great to listen to when you want quiet moments alone. Go ahead and buy it. It's a real oasis of calm!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Disappointed!, 20 April 2009
Mrs. Dorothy T. Burgess "TessaB" (Lymm, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
For anyone disappointed about the unavailability of this beautiful album, it is possible to obtain a copy via Patrick Hawes' new website. Those of us who have come to love his inspired music, wish him every success with the latest addition new album, "Song of Songs".

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 20 Nov 2007
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
This album is so relaxing to listen to, my favorite is Stargazer, which I can listen to over and over again. Some very moving pieces, ideal to unwind to after a busy day.

5.0 out of 5 stars CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE - CRIMINAL!!!, 8 May 2008
Mr. Sr Harrup "nehpetsrh" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
There are many albums that claim to be relaxing, I have bought several of them, none compare to this marvelous collection of sublime piano music. If you are a fan of Satie's Gymnopedies or enjoy the Classic FM collection 'The Quiet Room', you will simply adore this. It has not been out long, indeed, not as long as 'Blue in Blue' (his other album), but to see it listed as 'currenly unavailable' is criminal. If you can find a copy buy it - and enjoy it - a rare thing of beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab it if you can..., 28 May 2008
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
I've got it already and went searching for some more Patrick Hawes pinao works, only to notice that this one was not available and there is doubt whether it will reappear. I agree with the other reviewer...CRIMINAL!
Towards the Light is a wonderful collection of piano pieces, just about within my ability and with sheet music available. It makes a marvellous listen and a very satisfying play - so if you see it anywhere grab it whilst you can. My copy is not for sale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very relaxing, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
I bought this to help me cope tinnitus at night time. It is very relaxing and I've yet to hear the end of it as I drift off to sleep before it finishes!

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit mixed, but .., 21 Oct 2013
Colin McLean "Colin McL, NR20" (Dereham, Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards The Light (MP3 Download)
.. still hugely enjoyable. Patrick's music enriches in a way that others is simply light fodder. Listen out for him!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasure finally find... and listen to!, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
This is a lovely set of contemplative works by Patrick Hawes. They are all very evocative of the seaside where he wrote these pieces. I adore the expansive feel of his piano interpretation, reminiscent of Copeland. After much searching, I am so thrilled to have found this beautiful CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aspirations, 28 May 2011
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
Heard for the first time on Classic FM I recalled the time as a teenager when I struggled with piano lessons, and yet thought that with a little effort I could and would love to be able to play some of those compostions. I was very pleased with the CD and perhaps one day I will find the time to have a go at playing one of the pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 21 May 2011
Deb (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Towards The Light (Audio CD)
I am really enjoying listening to the music of Patrick Hawes and this CD - Towards the Light is just wonderful.

I first heard his Higrove Suite on Classic FM and was mesmorised by it and started searching out more of his work and I have not been disappointed. This piano music is contemporary but relaxing. I like to listen to it in the car, walking in the mountains or in the house when I am working. My favourite tracks are No 1. Towards the light and No 13. Quanta Qualia - I often have these on repeat, but infact all the tracks on this CD are lovely and I don't have to skip over any of them - which I often have to do with other CD's. I have enjoyed this CD so much that I have bought 2 more as gifts and both recipients have also enjoyed it. Highly recommended - I am sure that you will be as delighted as I am if you purchase this item.

Towards The Light