5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Voices, ever singing
I have never been a fan of crossover CDs: usually the singers are far too contrite and `Songs-of-Praise' to merit any serious attention. The 300th recording of Bach's Ave Maria alongside a forty part a cappella rendition of Agadoo always seems so media-orientated and not for the listening audience.

This CD is a wonderful breath of fresh air in a market so...
Published on 24 Sep 2006 by J. Hutchings

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasing effort
All throughout the run up to Christmas I was taunted by all the new classical/classical crossover albums that were being released and that I could not afford to buy because, well, who can afford to treat themselves at that time of the year? I hinted (non too subtly either!) that I wanted Katherine Jenkins' new album 'Serenade' for Christmas but I was unfortunatley...
Published on 16 Jan 2007 by Little Miss Bennet

5.0 out of 5 stars Angel Voices, ever singing, 24 Sep 2006
J. Hutchings "jjhutchings" (Framlingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)

This CD is a wonderful breath of fresh air in a market so saturated that most CDs are the same track listings sung by copy-cat singers. The four girls are very pretty and that will obvious draw crys of the group's being yet another manufactured group. Fortunately, the four girls are just as exquisite in voice as they are in looks. One particular singer, Laura Wright, sings with an extraordinary honesty in her voice, the sound entirely beautiful like her fellow singers: not manufactured or syrupy like some, not `celtic' and `ethereal' like some singers one hears. A very promising start for this young lady, who I believe is also the current BBC Radio 2 Chorister of the Year.

The choice of music is inspired, and there are some excellent musical arrangements: rather than existing purely for cheese and profit, some academic purpose and skilled musicianship appears to have gone into this production. The voices soar effortlessly, but with purpose, in Barber's Agnus Dei (with an astonishingly good male-voice choir singing the lower parts); Robbie Williams' Angels sounds terrific with the voices in octaves; Geoffrey Burgon's Brideshead Revisited theme (a personal favourite) is given a make over as a setting of Ave verum corpus - some may say that this smacks of cheese, but no more so than settings by Saint-SaŽns and Gounod, and the stylish singing here is both convincing and captivating.

I hope that these young ladies will not be too London bound or feel pressured by the media, and continue to make good honest music. All in all, an excellent purchase that not only bears repeated listening, but insists upon it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spice Angels, 10 Jun 2008
Mart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
`All Angels', released in November 2006 is the first of a five album deal which the group signed with the Universal Classics and Jazz label. The album reached number 9 in the UK Music charts, was nominated for `Album of the Year' at the Classical BRIT Awards in 2007 (beaten by Sir Paul McCartney's `Ecce Cor Meum') and eventually won a platinum disc.

Of the 13 tracks on this album around half are classical/opera, the rest are contemporary and traditional. The classics are familiar ones, which will appeal to those who have little experience of classical music, and the contemporary choices are unexpected ones such as the Robbie Williams hit `Angels', which sounds lovely when given the `Angels treatment'. The traditionals are the Christmas carol `Silent Night', and the New Zealand folk song `Pokarekare Ana'.

The girls - Daisy, Melanie, Laura and Charlotte - have applied their vocal skills to a wide range of music which should appeal to a broad audience. This is lovely music by talented singers who I think will produce a further four equally entertaining albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and Angelic, 4 Nov 2006
L. Evans "lyrical_lynz" (Lincoln) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I am REALLY looking forward to this album coming out. I had the pleasure of seeing them live at BBC Young Choristers of the Year. They had such an uplifting and angelic quality about them and the arrangements of the songs they sang (including Eva Cassidy's Songbird, Steal Away and Robbie Williams' Angels) were absolutely beautiful, especially Songbird - I was close to tears when they sang it.

The girls themselves (so I've heard) are really down to earth and lovely.

Steve Abbott (manager of All Angels, Hayley Westenra and Aled Jones amongst others) definitely knows about talent.

Buy this album, and you will feel like you're in Heaven.

5.0 out of 5 stars Angelical Music, 21 April 2007
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
Remembering how I found these musical angels:

I downloaded World's Best Mum of Napster (for my mum :D) and came across the song "Angels" - hmm I thought "a cover of Robbie Williams"? I listened and fell in love with the voices of these four young singers. This type of music is not what I usually listen to but their music is very relaxing and I prefer their version of "Angels" now. :-)

Pop meets Classical and vice versa. This album has something within.
Enjoy it with a nice hot drink on a rainy day, or when life has got you down. Mostly easy listening and with heavenly vocals - I recommend this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Angels, 7 Nov 2007
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
This abum is amazing, the girls' voices are so pure and pitch perfect, They will go very far indeed with this much talent and the ability to appeal to so many people across diverse ranges.
5 stars can be the only arguement for this group and this album

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine!, 14 Jan 2007
Malcolm Haig (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I only heard of All Angels just before Christmas when one of them (forget which) was being interviewed on the Today program on Radio 4. Then she sang "Agnus Dei", and I was hooked!

I had the CD bought for me as a Christmas Present, and haven't stopped playing it since. The CD is in my car, and I have it on my MP3 player and my PC so I can listen to it anywhere.

Prepare to have your ears and senses seduced! "Music soothe the savage beast" is what these renditions deliver, and their arrangement of "The Windmills of your Mind" is particularly hypnotic.

Classic purists may not appreciate this music, but they miss the point: music is not meant to be a discipline; if it pleases the listener, then it has accomplished its goal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and delightful album. Debut albums don't get much better., 2 Jan 2007
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
Ever since I received this album for Christmas 2006, I have listened to this album in its entirety about 6-7 times. I can't seem to get enough of it. These four amazingly talented young girls, with voices of angels, have conjured up an album of pure beauty.

There are some well known songs on here including Robbie Williams's 'Angels', 'Silent Night', and 'The Windmills of Your Mind'. What they have done, is sing them classically (as this is a classical album) and it works wonderfully. 'Angels' is gorgeous to listen to almost making it an entirely different song. And it works in a classical setting.

If I were to pick a favourite, I would be extremely hard pushed. I would choose possibly two. These would be 'Agnus Dei' and 'Ave Maria'. I adore the whole album for the simply reason that it is a masterpiece in its own right. These girls are extremely gifted and their voices are heavenly like angels. The version of 'Salve Regina' (based on Pachelbel's Canon) is so dreamy and brilliant it's difficult to believe this is their debut album.

I can listen to this album for hours and hours and I would never tire of it. The arrangements and delivery are spot on and the album is a winner. I am looking forward to their next album whenever it will be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 15 Nov 2006
E. Fifield "Random Annie" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I am not a fan of the classics. I have never purchased a classical album, nor do I take time to listen to it. However, when I heard of All Angels and the stir they were causing, I felt I had to give it a listen. I have to say I am bowled over by their album. They have fantastic voices, great style and appeal to the masses. I've listened to it all day at work and can see it being on the top of my list for some time to come. I just hope they continue to do more of the same...what a breath of fresh air.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't you just love the warmth of the music ?!, 2 April 2008
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I had the pleasure of listening to the girls singing in York Minister last week - have been to a few concerts in my time ( been there, done that etc etc, says this jaundiced 46 year old ) - but this was the only time in my life that I was moved to tears by music : they were simply sensational. As for the cd, well, we can all argue about which tracks we like and which tracks they should have ( not ) done - we all have our favourites - but you can only admire the way they have interpreted the songs, and I truly believe they offer something new to them - buy the album, if only for the four final notes of "Songbird".
If, after listening to their music, you still don't like it, then I suggest you upgrade your hifi.
And another thing : buy 2 : you will wear one out through constant listening !

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 25 Dec 2006
This review is from: All Angels (Audio CD)
I wouldn't usually consider this sort of music to be my first port of call when looking for something to listen to. However, I am stunned and amazed by this album, I fear that I may need to purchase another copy in case mine wears out!

All Angels are technically and creatively brilliant! Two thumbs up! If only I had more thumbs!

All Angels