5.0 out of 5 stars Something of a Masterpiece
I bought this album after reading the 5 star review in the Sunday Times. There are only a handful of these a year so I thought it worth a punt and I've been playing it pretty much non stop ever since.

Twice Born Men's opening track introduces a refrain of just a few notes played on electric guitar which is mirrored in the final track, There Will It End. For all...
Published on 24 Jun 2009 by M. Hodgkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars It,s a mixed bag but Twice Born Men is definitely worth a listen.
Very much a mixed bag-Sweet Billy Pilgrims second album following on from the well receivedWe Just Did What Happened and No One Came is released on David Sylvians Samahisound " label and features songs of quite rapturous almost transcendental beauty along side other songs that would be rejected by funeral directors for being too cumbersome and boring .
Like David...
Published on 16 Jun 2009 by russell clarke

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Stunning., 23 Jun 2009
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
This is the second album from this UK band and I can't get enough of it.

It's certainly not 3 minute pop, but I think the "experimental" label they always seem to get tagged with is a bit misleading. There are choruses everywhere, and great sweeping guitars, and break beats and sing-a-long melodies that get in your head and stay there for weeks.

It's not something I'd usually buy, I'm not a great fan of Japan, David Sylvian, or any of the other names they always get mentioned alongside. I don't really care that someone recorded a dishwasher and used it as a drum, or that there are lots of weird and unusual instruments used on it, but it was recommended to me by a friend and I'm so glad I took the chance and bought it.

It's not been out of mu CD player for weeks, and buying this one has convinced me to buy the first one. I can't recommend it highly enough, and this from a person that hadn't even heard of David Sylvian until I'd heard of Sweet Billy Pilgrim.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music, horrible sound, 29 Jan 2010
Russell Finch (Crowthorne, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
This is a strange one - "Twice Born Men" has obviously been put together with a lot of care, from the intricate arrangements to the rather lovely artwork. I hear Elbow, late period Talk Talk, David Sylvian etc and normally I'd love this album, but there's a big BUT

The recording is very clean sounding but it sounds horribly thin and flat with no bass whatsoever and at any volume at all hurts my ears to listen to it. Some CDs sound like the band is in the room with you, this one sounds like it's being played out of a cheap portable radio. I was checking the controls on my hi fi as I thought the kids must have been fiddling with it again but no they hadn't.

Perhaps something went wrong in the mastering, I don't know but this is probably the first time I've found a CD to sound so bad that I couldn't face playing it again. A big shame.

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow buner?, 12 Oct 2009
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
I think i can see why Sweet Billy Pilgrim have got the fringe minority praises. I definite slow burner album. Glad i bought it bscause it's different to so much out there.Time will tell if i should have given it 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars needs a few more plays, 7 Sep 2009
Mr. D. Spooner (essex uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
found this album quite interesting but feel its an album that needs to be played a few times to get a true feeing of this album

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING BRILLIANCE, 26 Jun 2009
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
The second album from this brilliant band. The music is a brilliant blending of both instruments, ethereal effects and the haunting voice of the lead singer. A must hear album, that will surely elevate this band into the stratosphere of contemporary music. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 24 Jun 2009
Mrs X (Vancouver, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twice Born Men (MP3 Download)
Their eclectic, slightly retro, 80s with a modern twist works for me. I have enjoyed listening to this over the last week.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pravo smeche, 5 Jun 2009
This review is from: Twice Born Men (Audio CD)
cant believe Sylvian support this group. Ugly voice (totaly boring voice), ugly music... all what is here is realy a total trash to me. Siren Song was the only thing that sound good.

ARRAY(0xae4880d8)

Twice Born Men
Twice Born Men by Sweet Billy Pilgrim (Audio CD - 2009)