4.0 out of 5 stars THE TRIALS OF HENRY FARMER
Alan Davies plays the barrister - effective in court, less so out of it.

Published on 30 Aug 2010 by Mr. D. L. Rees

3.0 out of 5 stars two dimensional, trite, mildly entertaining
The cast list seemed like a good bet but the plotting and characterisation bordered on the absurd.

For the Court action, we were bordering on if not overtaking Perry Mason, his blank piece of paper and "hold it Judge I've just received this".

Published on 6 July 2012 by gerryg

4.0 out of 5 stars THE TRIALS OF HENRY FARMER, 30 Aug 2010
Mr. D. L. Rees "LEE DAVID" (DORSET) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Alan Davies plays the barrister - effective in court, less so out of it.

8 episodes, each 70 minutes. Interesting cases make this worth a watch. They include alleged rape, death after a wild party, a possible killer nurse, rail safety (a careless train driver or negligent management?). Especially moving is the plight of Asperger's Syndrome Dan, accused of killing his mother. (Tom Burke as Dan is excellent.)

Anxious that this be not just another court drama, the makers try too hard to create a central character out of the ordinary. The first glimpse of Henry shows him using his mobile as he cycles erratically through London traffic. Much time is spent trying to stave off bankruptcy because of a gambling addiction. His marriage has collapsed, the little son greatly missed. (The lad has asthma, sleepwalks and, on a visit, tries to steal make-up from a chemist.) Henry's current girlfriend is married - her husband not just an MP but Catholic and gay and dying from cancer. Forever hovering is Henry's estranged father - he a judge and heavy drinker, (Edward Petherbridge entertainingly wispy and waspish). A bit of a clutter really.

Season 2 mercifully simplifies things a bit. Despite reservations, there is much overall to like: Alan Davies, Linda Bassett as the Chambers' secretary, several of the guest stars, the scenes in court. The series has potential but needs greater focus for it to be realized. Recommended nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtroom stories worth watching!, 22 July 2009
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Alan Davies is terrific as Henry Farmer, an English criminal barrister. As Henry Farmer, he fought the good fight for justice, but constantly struggled with his own addictive gambling habit. I have long been a fan of the very versatile Mr. Davies and always look forward to his new projects. I have read accounts that he was not happy with scripts for this series, but I would have to disagree because I thought the acting and stories were great. I only wish he had continued with The Brief for more than two seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent cortroom drama, 27 Mar 2010
H. Page "H" (Guildford) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Sad that there will not be a series three .Good intersting plots with development of the characters in series .Good time viewing not mentally challenging if that is what you are looking for.

3.0 out of 5 stars two dimensional, trite, mildly entertaining, 6 July 2012
gerryg - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)

The use of his father as a plot device, popping up with "don't marry this girl, marry that one" "I've reconsidered my original report" and so forth just enabled Hollywood B film happy ever after endings only with the bad guys forgetting to wear their black hats to make it a bit more difficult for us to spot them.

The characters were made out of so much cardboard they probably cornered the wood fibre market.

Pleasant lightweight entertainment but which failed miserabably in defining what it was trying to do, comedy, drama, something. If the price is right for you, it's not awful, it's just not very good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting plots, but ..., 20 Jan 2011
Prof TBun (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Whilst the criminal storylines are inventive and well scripted the same cannot be said about the backstory. At no point was I convinced that the brief cared two hoots about gambling let alone was addicted. The relationship with his father was equally lacklustre. Even if these back stories were well acted I still can't see how the audience is expected to find them interesting.

Outside of the courtroom, Alan Davies natural cheekyness kept surfacing at inappropriate moments destroying the dramatic impact of many scenes. Even when he was off screen there were problems as Cherie Lunghi was frequently in soft focus at inappropriate times. In my opinion the best acting invariably came from the supporting cast, rather than from the leads.

These two series are worth watching and at under a tenner are a bargain, but it would be dishonest to suggest that they are up to the standard of Rumpole, Crown Court and Judge Deed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I remember it, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I thought this was better than I remembered it from when it was on TV. But while it is easy to watch, there isn't anything compelling about it. There is neither anything specific in its favour, nor an indescribable certain something. Nonetheless, compared to most series on TV these days - at least in New Zealand where I currently reside - it stands up pretty well as something very watchable that isn't too 'heavy'. And it is on this basis that I award it four stars rather than three.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, 26 Jan 2012
B. Bennyhoff (Palmerton, Pa.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
I first discovered Alan Davies when I bought the Jonathan Creek series. I enjoyed that so much that I bought this series as soon as I saw it. There is something very likeable and endearing about him.
Since I watch very many different kinds of shows from comedy to action to drama and hard-hitting drama (The Shield), the viewing of each kind is determined by what I'm in the mood to see at the time.
I consider The Brief to be a bit of a mild-mannered drama. The episodes have kept my interest and been entertaining and enjoyable. When sitting down for an evening with my dvd's, all I require of them is to entertain me and The Brief does this very, very well ! I wish the series would have gone on longer.
My next purchase..."Whites" !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying, 28 July 2010
K. Burgin (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
For those who like courtroom dramas, there's just the right combination of wigs, who-dunnit and personal turmoil amongst the lead characters. Alan Davies' character is very engaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 4 Jun 2014
Wendy HOPE (North Shore City, Auckland New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Alan Davies at his best, I wish they had made a lot more of this series. As far as I know only 2 were made

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant drama, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent blend of drama/humour/whodunnit. Davies plays a very likeable, though disorganised junior barrister in a similar way to Jonathan Creek. A kind of Rumpole for the 21st Century.

The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD]
The Brief - Series 1-2 [DVD] by Alan Davies (DVD - 2009)