5.0 out of 5 stars A recording that lives up to the hype
Published on 11 Jan 2008 by Dr Carl

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD
Heard this on Classic FM and wanted the full CD and this supplier had the product at the right price.
Published 12 months ago by Christopher Hurley

5.0 out of 5 stars A recording that lives up to the hype, 11 Jan 2008
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
I approached this CD with caution given the hype that has surrounded recent appearances of both singers. I must confess that contrary to my expectations I was deeply moved by the singing here which recalls other great operatic couples of the past, Callas and di Stefano, Tebaldi and del Monaco. The recording has rarely been far from my CD player for the past two weeks.

As with the legendary couples from the past, there is something uneven about the two voices. Netrebko's voice is not a warm voice but is beautifully focused, always on the note and has to my ears a dark unjuicy quality. It is a stunning voice. Villazon, by contrast, has a voice that could hardly be described as beautiful the way that Corelli's, Pavarotti's or Domingo's undoubtedly could. It does not sound particularly youthful, but it has sap and oh! what he can do with it. Every phrase he utters seems to come from the depths of his being. He can sing loud and he can sing quietly, always with impeccable style and never indulging in mere histrionics. For me, he recalls the great Bergonzi not in the timbre of the voice which is distinctly Spanish (often making one think of Domingo or Aragall) but in his ability to reach the parts that others cannot. There is incredible passion here. Even in the Romeo and Juliet duet, where one expects a fresher voice, he is utterly magnificent. I urge sceptics to sample this recital, especially as it is now available at such low prices. I will be surprised if anyone is disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dynamic Duo, 2 April 2007
Robert Petersen (Durban, South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
Anna Netrebko and Rolando Villazon, dubbed the 'Golden Couple' pair up for an album of beautiful operatic duets. Both singers possess glorious voices and each selection/scene captures the listener, with even two unfamilar items alongside the standard repertoire. I urge people to rather purchase the limited edition package that contains a bonus DVD, which shows the making of the album, as well as the music video for the Boheme duet, directed by Vincent Patterson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Netrebko and Villazon are unbelievable!, 15 Mar 2009
David S. Peters "Opera Lover" (Ashford, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
This CD is a real gem. Netrebko and Villazon have a fantastic "chemistry" which one can feel in many of the tracks. It's only a shame that one cannot also see them! Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duets by Rolando Villazon and Anna Netrebko, 11 Aug 2010
D. Richardson (Richmond N. Yorks.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
It was a television programme about the concert at the Waldbuhne in Berlin that I heard Villazon and Netrebko singing together recently. As a result I bought the CD Duets to hear more of them as I thought they were so good. I was not disappointed by the CD. The singing is absolutely beautiful and I find myself playing it so often. Well worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous Voice, 6 July 2007
Will (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
Netrebko has a superb voice and the pairing here is inspired. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Netrebko toujours, 24 Feb 2010
TL (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
Anna Netrebko as wonderful as always (this disk consists of excerpts which have all I think been published elsewhere). Now that my first enthusiasm has worn off Netrebko still sounds wonderful but Villazon maybe a little weak (or am I anticipating his illness?)

5.0 out of 5 stars One for all Opera buffs, 27 May 2014
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
We have been so lucky to have been able to enjoy the enduring chemistry between Anna and Rolando. They bring new life to evrything they sing together.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Magic Singing Duo, 27 Feb 2014
R. Williams (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
CD arrived quickly with no excess packaging. This "Duets" album is absolutely delightful, showing clearly what this amazing couple can do. Refreshing, also, to hear some unusual choices rather than a collection of popular operatic arias.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
These are voices to cherish. Outstanding quality and well worth the long wait for delivery. Every aria is a show stopper.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Couple, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Duets (Audio CD)
I had not seen Anna Netrebko before I saw the DVD of "Manon". Without a doubt, Rolando Villazon and Anna Netrebko are the magic couple. "Duets", brings out with their voices, the passion, drama and intensity, that can only be achieved by a couple who are in tune with each others emotions. First Class. Now looking for more from that wonderful couple.

Duets