Format: DVD|Change

on 13 May 2009
This is a wonderful series, one of the best new shows, nay best shows period, that the BBC have ever aired.

This is a terrible DVD "complete" set, one of the very worst lack of efforts they've ever done. The BBC did an astounding job of producing extra material for this show for their website (short features filmed specially for the site showing some of the history of the leads prior to the show, actors filming behind the scenes diaries, etc) and for BBC 3 (the excellent Unearthed documentary and the pilot episode that started the whole thing). And NONE of it is on the "complete" DVD. On top of that, much of the distinctive music from the show which helped set the atmosphere has been replaced with bland stock stuff - come on BBC, nowadays when you strike a deal with a musician or their label to use their music in your TV show, you make sure that deal has the DVD release written in too.

I'm terribly disappointed. I'd have been better off taping the episodes and downloading the features from the website than buying this, because then I'd have a better package than this, and for less money.
1010 comments|150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 April 2009
I'm already a big fan of the show, but this is a review of the DVD, which is not only poor in terms of its extras, but has also significantly affected the quality of the show...

The soundtrack was incredibly important to my first experience of the show, and the majority of it has been changed or replaced by original score.

I planned to show the DVD to friends but will now suggest they use other means to watch so they can see it with the original songs.

When a DVD's faults actually reduce the emotional impact of the show.. 2 stars is generous...
44 comments|117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 May 2009
I love this show and am delighted to have it on DVD. It's a wonderful mix of the ordinary and extraordinary, with just the right amount of interaction between the human and inhuman. However, the problem is the way the DVD release changes the atmosphere of the show from the TV airing. One reviewer points out the substitution of different music, which presumably explains this. The other serious disappointment is the omission of the pilot episode, which is inexcusable given that episode one of the series builds upon it. For anyone sensible enough to get the series recorded off TV, I really wouldn't recommend the DVD, but clearly the rest of us have to put up with this disappointing DVD.
11 comment|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 July 2009
... is for the BBC to sort out the mess that is this release of the fabulous 'Being Human', and release a DVD that does the series justice! I L-O-V-E-D every minute of it on TV, and I honestly can't believe that the pilot and extra material haven't made it on to the DVD release. And as for the music, quite frankly if it isn't how it was on telly, I'm not interested!!!
on 15 July 2009
I loved the 'Being Human' series on television and bought the DVD with great glee. And...it's really good. I'll never go to Bristol without a make-up mirror and a stun gun in my handbag.

But...where did the beginning go..?

When I got home and there was the parcel, I ripped it open, shoved the DVD into the slot...and then, after a couple of minutes, I took it out again and tried the other disc. Nope. On both discs, people could see Annie. Not all people but...

I admit I am confused. I watched the first pilot, the one with another cast. I think I watched a second pilot, same script, this cast, where the boys moved in to the house and could see Annie but no one else could, where Mitchell's dilemma was introduced to me and I became aware... gradually... that things in George's life were more complicated than he would wish.

But the 'first episode' of the DVD has Seth biting influential patients in the hospital, George doing his thing in the basement and Annie greeting pizza delivery boys.

Once I got over my outrage, I loved it. It's been a good investment. I've watched it often, in part or in whole. The scripts are great - oh, the Vin Diesel fan!! - the acting is great...

But where's the start??

Please. Make a DVD of the pilot. Then I can buy it, run it before I watch the series and I'll go away and not bother you again. If you need me in the meantime, I'll be the one with the garlic jewellery.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2010
This series was recommended to me by a friend and boy was it a great recommendation!
Toby Whithouse's dark comedy is very dark indeed but still extremely funny in places, and the trio of lead actors, supplemented by the outstanding Jason Watkins as Vampire leader Herrick were all inspired casting choices.
Oddly enough the pilot episode is missing from this selection, but flashbacks at the beginning of episode one enable you to work out how the three social misfits came to be in their distinctly bizzarre situations.
Only Russell Tovey (Doctor Who Voyage of the Damned) as neurotic werewolf George made it to the series proper, but I can't imagine anyone other than Aidan Turner and Lenora Crichlow taking the parts of traumatised ghost Annie and brooding vampire Mitchell.

As the three gradually come to terms with their predicaments, Annie begins to realise that the fiance for whom she pines (only George and Mitchell can see her now) is not all that he seems. George and Mitchell meanwhile attempt to lead a normal lives as hospital porters, but Mitchell's distinctly anti-social cravings and George's monthly trauma mean that even this low-key occupation has its pitfalls.
The series mainly focuses on the attempts of the three to lead 'normal human lives', hence the title, but there are too many obstacles for this to happen overnight, and the friends' relationships are stretched to breaking point as supernatural forces seek to disrupt their harmony.

Great series that put me in mind of Torchwood, it's consistently gory and relentlessly dark but immensely absorbing throughout - I can't wait for series 2 to arrive.
on 20 April 2009
For everyone who hasn't ever seen, or heard about, Being Human (where on earth have you been?!) I THOROUGHLY recommend this.

HOWEVER, if you are already a die-hard Being Human fan, read this first -

The pilot is NOT on the DVD. The Unearthed documentary is NOT on the DVD. There are no outtakes, there is no commentary. The worst bit is....the soundtrack is NOT the same as it was in the broadcast episodes.

The only extras are a few deleted/extended/alternate scenes (which do include some key character and story points I think, so can't for the life of me work out why they left them out of the final cut). This is the only reason for die-hard fans to buy it.

A big disappointment to those who followed the show on TV.

A massive treat for those who are new to the show (I envy you).
on 4 October 2011
i think this series is realy great an has perfect actors for the roles but we al know that!

this review is about what this bluray is lacking , it does not have the pilot episode! what kind of an idiot this would be good? good luck you can still follow it but it would have been alot better with the first episode
on 20 April 2009
I won't review the series - just read the other reviews.
It's a fantastic series that is let down by a mediocre DVD.
The only extras on the discs are character Profiles ,deleted, extended and alternate scenes - no audio commentaries and NO PILOT EPISODE.

The pilot episode is not required viewing to understand what is happening. Everything is explained in the first episode but it would have been nice if it had been included as an extra.
66 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2009
Being Human is already one of the best horror TV series of 2009 so I bought the DVD as soon as possible. But I expected at least finding the marvelous pilot of the series ('episode 0'), but no pilot. No making of either, despite the fact one making of aired on TV. No trace of any of the videos you can find on the dedicated web site (only visible to the U.K residents). No audio commentary track on any of the six episodes. And no gag reel. The so called "bonuses" only include several alternate scenes and a "character profiles", far less interesting than anything I have already read or saw on websites or on Youtube. So I'm very upset and I don't think I'll buy the next season DVD box. I don't think the people that making tv series should despise their paying fans by not providing them additional contents that already exists, that obviously fans long for.