5.0 out of 5 stars Vado - great gadget
i dont often feel the need to review an item, but having just received VADO HD, and being so impressed with it, I thought I should say so. Main reason for my review is the amount of negative press out there regarding these things.

Published on 30 Sep 2009 by boredwiththis

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectation
Published on 4 Feb 2010 by Obruni Nick

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't live up to expectation, 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Creative Vado HD 8GB High Definition Pocket Camcorder with 2" LCD and integral HDMI Cable (Electronics)
Bought this based on the numerous reviews singing its praises. Maybe I was expecting too much but I found the quality of the video to be disappointing. The HighDef quality failed to materialise and the colours seemed a little dull. When I checked the footage against that from my casio digital camera's video function I couldn't see any improvement. Added to this was a problem in playback using my Samsung HDTV. When connecting the HDMI lead the unit would just shut down and refuse to play anything until it had been disconnected. Maybe I got a duff one or perhaps is doesn't like that model of TV. Shame as this little camera looked like a great solution to my video needs. I think that I will now look into purchasing a smallish camcorder. More money, but probably better value.

One thing that was outstanding was Amazon's Customer Return service. It is quality customer service like this that keeps me purchasing from Amazon again and again. To all those that have been pleased with their purchase of this product, please don't feel slighted by my comments. All opinions are essentially subjective and as I said, I may have got a Friday afternoon version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vado - great gadget, 30 Sep 2009

Listen - its cheap and cheerful, and of course it isn't going to match a 500 camcorder - but it is so small, so easy to use and the quality is really rather good - you shouldn't complain.

I've heard many say that the video in your camera or mobile phone is better - in my case - I have a point and shoot pentax one year old (the Vado is miles ahead in quality) - a Nikon D80 SLR (that doesn't do video) and a Palm mobile phone (video is terrible)

In addition, for the two gadgets I have that DO have video - getting that video onto the PC is hardly as straightforward as this.

1. Turn on
2. Point at subject
3. Press red button to start recording
4. Press red button to stop recording
5. Flip out USB connector and shove into the PC
6. Select the video to copy to your hard drive, or start Vado Central and automatically upload to your Youtube (or similar) account

That's it - that is all there is to it.

The device is nicely made, lightweight and looks very sleek in my view. Nice to hold too. Picture quality is not really HD, and if you hook it up to a large LCD tv (which you can do with the included cable) you will see what I mean - but for web use, blog use, or just clips to keep on your PC - it is really very good indeed.

Simplicity itself.

Gripes (they are small) - the silicone skin is naff. Would have preferred a pouch and a lanyard strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vado HD, 12 Nov 2009
Alexander Wilson (Mayfield, Midlothian) - See all my reviews
I was immediately impressed with the Vado HD when it arrived. I was looking for a low cost, pocket camcorder that I could take anywhere, and take videos when on holiday, at the park with my daughters, and more specifically, being a professional magician, record videos of myself performing moves and sleights so I can play them back quickly and easily, and make sure I am performing new moves correctly.

The Vado HD is a perfect replacement for a bulky, traditional camcorder. The quality of the video is excellent compared to my previous camcorder, a JVC MiniDV model. The picture is very sharp, the camera functions well in bright light, ordinary light, work brilliantly indoors, and also in low light conditions. The video quality, plugged directly into your TV via the included HDMI cable is excellent.

Another useful feature is the ability to change the video quality. There seems to be very little noticable difference on screen between HD+ and HD mode, so you've got 2 hours at the highest quality, or 4 hours at normal HD mode, which would (hopefully, for those watching) be more than enough for the average holiday video. Even the VGA mode, on my 32" Samsung HD TV, looks good. If you're close up, you can see that it is a bit pixilated, but from a normal distance, the picture quality is excellent for such a low resolution, and perfectly usable.

The sound on the camera is not fantastic, but better than I expected for such a small unit. The sound quality when you play back on the unit itself is low and tinny, but transferred to a TV, and again, it's perfect for a holiday video, or presentation, or just for taking quick videos of your kids falling over and getting their heads stuck in things.

Another great feature is that it is so easy to upload the videos to your PC. You can just upload them directly to any PC with USB, as the software and drivers are on the camera itself, not the PC. What I would say however, is that the camera does not seem to work with the default Windows Movie Maker, but works PERFECTLY with Windows Live Movie Maker (the new version you can download free from Microsoft on their Live website). You can drag and drop clips, and music and titeles, and crop unwanted bits out, before creating an HD video file that you can burn directly to DVD, transfer to Windows DVD Maker, or upload directly to YouTube or Facebook. I know very little about video editing, but even this simple, free utility works brilliantly.

What put me off using a camcorder before was having to carry it around. A normal size camcorder is bulky, the batteries are heavy and expensive to replace, but this is the size of an MP3 player, fits in your pocket, and only takes a few seconds to start up. Finally, I've not noticed any major problem with wobbly footage, if you hold the camera securely, it's not at all shakey, and my hands aren't the steadiest. You only really notice any wobbling if you're walking at the same time as filming. If you're standing still it's fine.

Now, the disadvantages:

1. Digital Zoom. The zoom isn't the best - 2x digital zoom gives a small zoom, with a noticable drop in video quality. Best to keep things up close.

2. Battery life - initially a little bit less than 2 hours I think, may be worth buying a spare (only 10)

3. The USB connector on the bottom is handy for plugging into a PC, but there is a little rubber nubbin at the bottom, meaning that you can't rest this camera standing up, as the bottom of the unit isn't flat. A small flexible tripod is ok, but if you have a larger traditional tripod, this nubbin will get in the way of fixing on the tripod. You need to extend the USB adaptor before putting it on a larger tripod, which may or may not be possible depending on how large your tripod is.

4. Connectivity - easy to play on your TV if you have an HDMI socket, but if you don't, or you want to plug into a DVD recorder, then you're going to have problems. Connection to a PC is a breeze though.

5. Charging only via USB, you can buy a seperate battery charger, but it is quite expensive, so you're going to have to take a laptop with you if you're taking it on holiday, unless you fork out for the charger. I would have much prefered to have the option of a USB mains charger, like my mobile phone.

6. No expandable memory - but given that you can film 4 hours in HD or 8 hours in VGA, you don't really need it.

Overall, the few flaws above don't effect the video the unit takes, and any disadvantages can be instantly forgiven simply becasue this camcorder is so portable, and takes such nice video for a camera of its size, weight and price. Totally impressed, and have already recommended to several friends who were looking at similar things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vado HD, 14 May 2009
J. Hollingsworth (London, sometimes.) - See all my reviews
This is a great little camcoder. It's very light, simple and easy to use. A piece of cake to upload images to a computer, YouTube, Facebook etc, and to play on any TV with an HDMI input. Images are excellent, but suffer a bit with the digital zoom where they lose definition. I bought it for a 'round most of France' motorbike trip and got some amazing footage - it was money very well spent. 2 hours of HD video should be enough for most situations, but I don't understand why the storage is not removable. A memory card slot would give it much more flexibility.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice first step to affordable videoing, 3 Nov 2009
I bought this as a gift for my partner, after she'd seen a friend of mine using a similar kind of device and thought that it looked like fun. Which is exactly what this piece of technology is - fun.

This little bit of kit is essentially a toy; in no way should this camera be considered a replacement for an outdated DV/VHS/or even Super8 camcorder. If you're looking for a hi-tech, simple-to-use, plug 'n' play video camera to archive your favourite family moments, this probably isn't for you because you'll soon look back at your purchase and wonder why you skimped on your investment. But make no mistake, of the few devices like this which are available at the moment - and certainly within this price-range - this is definitely a fine device.

The reason I'm not out-and-out persuading you to buy this is because of all of the reviews I'd seen and read before buying it, none of them mentioned the kind of user who would get the most from this kind of camera. And the kind of user that would most suit this camera ultimately boils down to what the device can offer you - which is no fuss, auto-setting all the way, relatively low quality video clips. But this is, of course, not meant to be anything more than that - it has no aspirations to be anything remotely resembling enthusiast level stuff. And, as this is still a relatively new area of consumer electronics, I'm sure the features list on these kind of devices wil only increase with time as amd if they obtain a stronger market-share.

The camera itself records (obviously) in HD but, as you'd expect, there's no image stabiliser which means that all that detail is highly prone to picking up on any camera shake - which there'll be plenty of as this has been primarily designed to be held in the hand. Due to its diminiutive size, it's also precluded from utilising an optical zoom - there is only digital zoom. It's a decent digital zoom, but you immediately lose image quality when using this option, which will then undermine its HD output. The colours are good, very good for a device this simple - skin tones are very nicely rendered as are vivd outdoor hues. The auto white-balance (which I believe is the only white-balance setting available) also does a good job of keeping up with changing light conditions - as does the auto-shutter. I've yet to see it in lowlight conditions, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that it may struggle a bit. Sadly, the sound reproduction was pretty poor, more akin to mobile phone quality, which was a shame - but future versions may well come equipped with better mics, or even the option to use you own. And aside from some very rudimentary, but very accessible and easy to use buttons, that's about it.

Essentially, this is a very simple but highly enjoyable and robust toy. We had only extremely minor troubles getting the device to work with a fairly low-spec PC (playback was a little glitchy to begin with, but a reboot fixed all) and no issues whatsoever with the device itself. If you have the cash, this could make a very gratefully recieved christmas present.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect little recorder, 1 Oct 2009
jem (New Forest, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't see how anyone can find fault with the Creative Vado HD, particularly at the new, reduced price.

I have had mine since March, when it was a birthday present (otherwise I might be feeling a bit sore about the price reduction) and it's done everything I have asked of it. Admittedly I have used a mini-tripod quite often, but that's for times like when I'm using it in a car when I'm driving.

The quality of the footage in low light is amazingly good. It's a shame in a way that there isn't a facility for adding a lens hood, because sometimes bright sunlight can be a nuisance, but it is with any small camera and this one really is small.

I have played my video clips back through a 37" Panasonic HD TV and again the quality was fantastic. I have a Sony HD laptop and I think that helps get great reproduction, too.

For me the Creative Vado HD is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 19 July 2009
I read many reviews for various pocket HD video cams before plumping for the Creative Vado HD - after fairly intensive use for the last day or so, I certainly made the right choice. What I wanted was a simple to use, no fuss, pocket sized HD (all right not full HD) camcorder for use at family events, holidays etc. That's exactly what I got -correct, you're not going to challenge Hollywood with the results, but you also do not need a PhD to understand and operate it. It plays very well via the supplied HDMI cable on my 32 inch LCD TV - good quality picture. The software loads with ease on my windows (vista) laptop and importing, editing and sharing couldn't be easier. Additionally, I have a iMac desktop - downloaded the VLC player (free!!), which took all of 5 mins and can view the videos (drag and drop from the Vado) immediately. A little more downloading of free software and the files can be converted for editing in iMovie 08. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 26 Feb 2010
Mark K. Perry "slkmaniac" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great little gadget that delivers exactly what I'd hoped from it. It feels very well made and certainly can take a few knocks as I bought mine for a ski trip and it got snowed on, bashed around, dropped, and very cold - it didn't miss a beat. I agree with others that the neoprene cover is a waste of time (and looks a bit dodgy) as the Vado has a nice non slip finish and looks good just as it is.

The supplied software works really well but if you want to edit more than three videos into one you'll need to upgrade it for about 14. One problem with the software is that it's a pain to use on a netbook for anything other than viewing videos as the application panel is a little too big for a netbook screen and can't be resized. However there are lots of free video editing packages around - I found one that works perfectly in 5 mins.

Video quality is amazing for the price. It looks good on a 42 inch TV, and very good on a PC or via YouTube. It's size means I carry it around all the time and it's light enough that I don't notice it. The battery life is fine for a day out, probably eve a weekend. It comes with all the cables you need and they too seem to be good quality. There really aren't many instructions but it's so intuitive to use that you won't need them anyway. For the combination of price, portability, and quality, I'd recommend the Vado HD to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little Camcorder VADO HD, 7 Jan 2010
Martin Stenner "george" (somerset uk) - See all my reviews
Purchsed this after reading some comments .. its great,
Great price
Neat
Very simple to use
easy to watch on laptop, can even plug into the Tv ,,
And for the price its a great picture.
Highly rec.
one bad point, the zone is poor, but hey for us, taking shots of the boys playing in the snow and un wrapping prez, its great, prob no good for the school sports day, but still a great buy.
Also comes with a good quality rubber type case, and you can still use it with the case on!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Worth Buying!, 15 Aug 2010
I bought this video camera in Nov 09 and during that time it seemed that this was the best camera to get. How was I wrong.

Pros:

* It's cheaper than a lot of other cameras
* Direct YouTube upload
* Wide-angle lens

Cons:

* Button clicks are heard when recording
* Can only zoom in a short distance
* No ability to turn off wide-angle recording
* Doesn't record well in low-light conditions
* Static background noise in videos
* No codec support so video playback is out of sync
* Can't playback HD or HD+ videos with low-end graphics (netbook)
* Can't edit in Adobe Premier or Windows Movie Maker (Video is black)
* Contrast way too high, so colour is darker and not natural (This is particularly bad if you record in a room with bright light, as it will make the video look saturated and grainy)

Yes the camera does record at 720p but in no way at all is this an HD camera even as a low-end one. You're better off using the iPhone 4 which has a MUCH better camera. For the same price now you can buy an older model HD video camcorder like a Sony, Panasonic or JVC. It's not a pocket camera but it would record in proper HD quality.