Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

on 18 March 2012
To mark down to just two stars merely because there's no libretto is unfair I think.

This is a great value release - personally I buy CDs for the music, and a great performance of a delightful piece. It was just selected - March 2012 - as the best version by BBC Radio 3's CD Review programme. To have it available at this price is good news. The words will be available on the internet - or can be purchased separately: the price will still be less than a full price CD box with libretto etc, and the words will be more legible than the tiny CD booklet!

A 5-star release all the way!
on 7 August 2013
Whether this is the best recording of Ariadne I cannot give an opinion, not having heard all of them. That it is a very fine recording is beyond doubt and on that score I have little to add to the other 5-star reviewers. I suspect in any case that there is no "best", merely(!) your (or my) favourite.
Also beyond doubt is that, at its present price, it is a must for any collection (NB mere price is not a useful tool - there must be a specific reason for having any recording, even if - most certainly not the case here - that reason is a negative one). The principals are excellent, and Sinopoli seems to find new things to say about the work (if that is unspecific, it's because I've played it through only once). Anyway, highly recommended
on 30 May 2012
The recording and performance is perfect.
The German language is articulated so well that you can tell what's going on all the time.
The price of this re-release is an absolute steal
and if you do need the libretto then they are easily located on-line and elsewhere.

Voigt, Dessay, & Von Otter at the top of their game,
why carp about non musical aspects of this CD?
on 11 November 2013
I can't understand why this recording should be marked down to 2 stars just because there is no libretto. Just play it, sit back and let this ravishing music flow over you. The singing is superb as is the orchestral playing under Sinopoli; not normally one of my favourite conductors. At this super bargain price, you shouldn't hesitate.
on 6 May 2012
Very nice recording and even better price. I bought the 35 CD set with ELEKTRA and also this one. Brilliant Classic are the best for the money you pay.
on 6 July 2011
The recording of this opera is great, but there is no libretto with this CD, so I cannot recommend this to anyone. Unfortunately, with Amazon you don't get much product information. If Amazon had informed me that the recording company that made this CD were selling it without a libretto, then I would not have bought it. I believe the people at Amazon do not know much about opera, so perhaps they should not be selling any opera CDs.
66 comments|8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse