Format: DVD|Change

on 9 March 2009
This is a filmed version of La Boheme (made in studios in Vienna). It is perhaps not as good as some of the other filmed opera movies I have seen, but still well worth the money I spent on it. At times, lips and singing are somewhat out of sync, which does not bother me (but I know some people do not like it). The directing could be a bit more innovative. Despite being a film it does not always exploit the potential of the medium to its fullest. In this particular version I have, there are no Italian subtitles, which is a shame. The English subtitles are not complete, I feel, but sufficient to follow the plot.

Netrebko is of course a beautiful Mimi and has a fantastic voice. While she and Villazon make a great couple on screen they are not as convincing as they could be (and as singers in older opera movies have been (Freni, Domingo (see for example Tosca - Puccini [1976] [DVD] [NTSC],Otello [DVD]))).

If compared to the other big film version of Boheme (Puccini - La Boheme [DVD] [1965]), I find them equally good. My wife prefers this one.

Altogether, I can only recommend this DVD to everybody who loves opera movies or indeed opera. 5 stars from me!
on 18 November 2014
one to keep , very happy with the service provided
on 29 June 2009
I Have been a fan of this opera for years and posess quite a few recordings,this film comes pretty close to being the best I've heard, the singing first rate as you would expect,the setting superb, oh the snow,and mimi was gorgeous a real treat on the eye,even in her death throes.as you can gather I was enthralled, as I always am by the sheer beauty of the music and act three is as close to heartbreaking as you can get.my full scale approval for a super super film.
on 20 January 2016
An opera worth having in your DVD collection
So good to be able to watch AND listen to this superb
Opera in the comfort of your own home
on 28 March 2011
This is a film made into an Opera. As such it allows the singers the freedom to move around more and ignore the normal 'audience' position. The film approach also allows multiple takes, different angles and the great editing brings it all together really well; for once tt all made sense to me and now I can watch it over and over withoiut wanting to skip sections. I would strongly suggest you forget about comparing Netrebko or Villazon to anyone else, forget about the differences between film and stage and just enjoy what you see. In fact I would say buy this before or instead of the CD, the Opera will make way more sense when you see it performed.

For those of you who are new to Opera, Opera films or want to know which one to get I would say this: If you listen with your head, analyze and are maybe a purist you might want a film of the Opera - I think the Pavarotti is well regarded. If you want to understand what is going on, the raw emotions, the drama, humour and tragedy then get this hands down. They actually kiss! A lot! Which is totally believable given the story. I have given this as a present to 4 people who have never heard Opera, the feedback is overwhelmingly positive. I have heard just about every version published and seen a few of the films. As a visual experience I enjoy this one the best and in my opinion the singing is not bettered by anything out there.

My Dad listened to Opera all his life and he heard some of the greatest singers of all time. He told me that great singers sing from their heart so you have to listen with your heart and not your head. If you do that with this production you will be blown away (it took me at least 5 attempts to get through ACT 3 without losing it). If you add in the fact that you can watch a wonderful cast and the amazing experience of listening to Anna Netrebko in an medium that allows you to see how well she acts, it is a giveaway. BUY IT NOW you will not regret it...unless you listen with your head of course.
on 31 October 2014
Great way to see if you may like opera in the theatre before you splash out on a ticket
on 15 July 2015
Super production of a wonderful opera with a truly great Mimi by Anna Netrebko
on 20 April 2015
Netrebko is better than satisfactory and Villazon has many good moments
on 10 April 2009
Of all the offerings of La Boheme this for me is the one that touches all the emotions. Rolando Villazon is mesmerising as Rodolpho and together with Anna Netrebko's beautifully protrayed Mimi brings the story alive, and with beautiful singing, and acting ably assisted by Nicole Cabell and George Von Bergen what more could one ask. Robert Dornheim has captured the essence of all that the music conveys for me, beautifully filmed a true feast for the eyes. A magnificent tour de force by all those involved with the making of what for me is a masterpiece, to be enjoyed over and over again.
on 3 April 2010
This is the most moving performance of La Boheme todate. It was as though it was my first experience of the opera. There is a special chemistry between Netrebko and Villazon, similar to the chemistry between Torville and Dean in their particular genre. As the Gramaphone says these two people can not only sing but they can act.

I am not an experienced reviewer, but I wanted to review this production as it gave me so much pleasure. I am sure it will bring pleasure to all who buy it.