5.0 out of 5 stars Nikwax Tech Wash/TX Direct Wash-In
I have a jacket made from "Sympatex" fabric which was in need of washing and reproofing. As it was rather expensive I wanted to do it correctly so I e-mailed the manufacturer who recommended this product.

Published on 2 Jun 2009 by Jerome Perkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough
Published on 22 Feb 2010 by Kate Tapparo

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikwax Tech Wash/TX Direct Wash-In, 2 Jun 2009
Jerome Perkins (London England) - See all my reviews

The product is very simple to use. There are two bottles containing 300ml each of wash and reproofer. You add up to 150ml of Tech Wash according to your water hardness and this will do one or two garments at a time After the wash cycle has finished you add 100ml per garment of the Wash-In which is the reproofer ("...reactivate the hydrophobising" as the manufacturer puts it.) and run a 30C Synthetic cycle with a slow spin. You can wash and reproof up to two garments at a time.

The items can then be air dried or tumble dried if the care label permits.

It is also possible to hand wash garments if preferred.

The results were excellent, the jacket actually felt lighter, (it can't have been that dirty!) and its water repellant properties were restored to as new.

I could have had it dry-cleaned and reproofed by a specialist but it would have been more hassle and probably more expensive.

As well as "Sympatex" fabric the products are said to be suitable for "Gore-Tex","Permatex","eVent" and "Nikwax Anology" fabrics. The Tech wash is also said to be suitable for items such as tents, awnings rucksacks panniers and camera bags.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikwax Tech Wash & TX Direct Twin Pack combined purchase, preparation is the key, 22 May 2012
Ann Roberts (East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
After much research I bought this item from Amazon as impressed with the price, not so impressed with the P & P costs, but that's another review to be written!

I noted that some people weren't happy with the outcome, so I took great care in the preparation of my washing machine. I bought a good washing machine descaler & cleaner to ensure that no detergent was left in the soap dispenser or drum etc. & used it first, this was overdue in any case. My machine was spotless when I started to use the TechWash first, then the TX Direct straight afterwards. Followed the instructions carefully, 2 items in the wash, correct machine setting & temperature for Goretex & Sympatex shell jackets. The outcome was outstanding, I'm very pleased with the result. So pleased I washed & proofed another jacket afterwards, with an equally good result & I still have enough left for 1 more jacket wash.

This makes me sound like a complete "anorak", but it's worth the care for jackets that are very expensive to buy & replace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Waterproofing, 1 Nov 2010
Used the TX Direct as a test against the Softshell proofing used previously. TX Direct works much better!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tech wash & TX Direct, 1 April 2012
Mr P Langley (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikwax Tech Wash and TX. Direct Wash-In Twin Pack (Misc.)
I have been aware of Nikwax products for a number of years, and heard many good things about them. That being said, I relied on pure soap flakes to clean my outdoor clothing thinking it was "good enough"

My 7 year old Berghaus Mera Peak Goretex jacket was starting to look a bit grubby even with frequent washes with pure soap flakes, and the shell was wetting out at the first sign of rain.

I decided to give this combo a try before forcing myself to buy a newer model. I was glad I did!

After reading the instructions I decided to opt for the hand wash option, as it would take far less of the product, take less time that my machine cycle would take, and I could aggitate the products into the material better than the machine could.

I washed the jacket in the bathtub with hand hot water, and was amazed at how much dirt and grime came out! The water went a light brown! Bearing in mind that I had not washed it too long ago in soap flakes, and it didn't look dirty (just a bit grubby) I followed this by three rinses in clean water, until all water draining off was clear.

Next was the reproofing with TX Direct! I added a cap of TX into hand warm water, and made sure that the jacket was well soaked in the solution. It says to leave it for 5 to 10 minutes, but I left it in for about 20. It also recommends wearing gloves for the hand wash option, and I would agree! My hands came out of the water and started to bead water over the surface of the skin :D After 20 mins I gave the jacket a rinse, and dried it.

The results of the clean looked very good, much better than cheap soap flakes! The results of the TX Direct wash in left me very happy indeed! Rain now beads off the jacket, and it refuses to wet out.

It reminds me that you get what you pay for, both in terms money, and time. I feel like I have a new jacket back, and for a small outlay I no longer have to consider buying a newer jacket. I would recommend this product, and I will not use anything else now. Thanks Nikwax!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stuff, 18 Jan 2010
Robyn "I get bored quickly so take ages choos... (SWINDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
My husband has kept his paramo jacket in full waterproof condition for about 15 years now. He swears by both Paramo and Nikwax.
Use the tech wash, and then immediately proof it with the wash-in. No need to wait for it to dry after the first wash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect products, 6 Jun 2010
I have had waterproof clothing for years yet have never used products like these. Simple to use, just put clothes in the washing machine with the products. Excellent results. Clothes are clean and well waterproofed. I would recommend them 100% Price was very competative also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikwax, 25 Mar 2009
R. F. Harris "kimber" (UK) - See all my reviews
I have been using nikwax for my Paramo clothing for many years and I think it is the best waterproof system around.I would like to thank Amazon for the very quick delivery and price for this product

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not good enough, 22 Feb 2010
Kate Tapparo (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The wash is easy to use and does exactly what it says it will do. However, you have to use a lot per item of clothing and it didn't work so well at pre-treating the stains. My daughter's coat was covered in mud (as is the way with little ones) and I pre-treated as per instructions, washed as per instructions and the mud stains were not removed. I had to treat with another product and then wash with tech wash again. Whole bottle gone washing one coat! The coat did come out feeling lovely and reacted very well with the next rain shower but could do with being a bit more of an actual cleaning product. At this rate I will have to take out shares in the company I am going to have to buy so much to wash this winter coat!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleaned and reproofed my trusty jacket!, 14 Jan 2013
Mr P Langley (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikwaw Tech Wash, 20 Oct 2010
Excelent product does what is says on the tin. Have a Peter Storm anorak which had been washed and lost its waterproofness, one wash with Nikwax Tech Wash good as new. Saved having to buy a new coat.