5.0 out of 5 stars A great choice
I took delivery of this TV 3 weeks ago to replace an older and smaller LCD model. Having been looking at the various televisions of this sort of size that are available, I made my final decision to buy this particular model based on looking in stores, careful inspection of specifications and looking widely at reviews on the internet.
As something which is going to be...
Published on 23 April 2009 by A Smile and a Wave

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb picture but........clouding is still there
This unit was delivered on 7th April. Initial impressions are favourable...it looks good... the shiny piano black cabinet looks very good. It looks classy BUT....there are horendous clouding issues with this set. With any dark scenes there is very noticeable clouding on the four corners of this set. They look like search lights pointing into the picture. I have heard...
Published on 13 April 2009 by J. P. Moore

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy customer, 25 Jan. 2010
C. Barker "Soup Dragon" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sony Bravia KDL40W5500U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freeview and 100Hz Motionflow (Electronics)
I chose this TV after a combination of on-line investigations and a visit to Tottenham Court Road to see the contenders in the flesh & do a little price-haggling. I was mainly considering this Sony Bravia vs. a similar Samsung, but also looked at a Sharp LED TV. Eventual choice was based on my perception of value for money - given criteria of size, refresh rate and brand name / perceived reliability.

On price, Amazon really can't be faulted - the best I could do in a shop was £100 more expensive, even before comparing delivery charges. The delivery was a day early vs. the date promised in the confirmation email, but that's most likely because I ordered on Christmas Eve, and I think the suppliers may have worked one of the bank holiday days. I'm sure this isn't normally an issue, but it could be inconvenient for people if published delivery dates are not reliable.

As for the TV itself, I have now had it for 4 weeks and the headline is that I love it. Other posters have cornered the market in extended technical reviews, so I won't go into all that. I mainly use the TV to watch broadcast telly via Sky (as opposed to watching Blu Ray etc.), and generally watch in a well-lit room, not with all the lights off - so I'm a 'normal' viewer I guess. For my purposes, both the picture quality and the sound are excellent. The TV is actually rather too big for my flat (selected with a potential house-move in mind) and as a result I'm sure I sit closer to it than the recommended distance. I was worried that this would result in a slightly pixellated effect, but I haven't noticed that at all.

As a final point: one of the other Amazon reviews is from someone who spent 15 minutes trying to work out where the socket for the power cable was. I laughed at the reviewer's expense... and then had exactly the same problem myself :) FYI, it's tucked into the right-hand-side (as you look at the back of the TV) of the recess where the cable tidy is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Consider this..., 5 Dec. 2009
I almost loved this tv. Unfortunately, along with others - check review websites such as 'What Hi-fi' and some reviews in amongst these on Amazon - mine was cursed with 'backlight bleed'. Apparently not all of these tv's have this problem and it still appears to be pot-luck as to whether or not yours will. It showed itself on mine, and as described elsewhere, as 'torchbeam' lights shining down from the top corners. Only visible in low light levels and mainly on darkly lit scenes, but most definitely there and hard to ignore once spotted.

It wasn't acceptable for me to be watching Blu-ray discs or playing hi-def games - something often done by my wife and I in dark or near dark conditions (maybe not very healthy but the lights aren't on in the cinema either!) - and have the picture marred like this. It seems to be pretty arrogant of Sony to still not have this quality control issue resolved over half a year after initial review and customer reports of this problem, which is evidently not confined to the odd one or two sets (Google it).

As you may have realised, I'm writing about this tv in the past tense; it was sent back. No hassle, as ever, from Amazon and despite my initial annoyance at the incovenience of packing it up and arranging collection/delivery, I'm very happy with the replacement Panasonic P42G10 which was as well reviewed as this in many cases, better in some. The sound is certainly a bit more punchy and while many people's picture preferences are subjective, I've found the Panasonic to be on a par with this 40W5500 and the backlight - being a plasma rather than lcd - absolutely uniform.

I write this review because these televisions are not cheap and I know from experience what a pain it is being around for deliveries, carefully handling and setting up, being disappointed, arranging return, re-packing, being in again for collection, and to have to repeat the ordering, etc, all over again with a replacement. Just do your homework and accept that for this tv it's down to chance whether or not yours is one of the duff ones. Shame because, like I said at the start, it was nearly a great tv. And shame on a giant like Sony for allowing this issue to still be evident in more than the odd faulty set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung le40b650 or sony kdl40w5500, 13 Dec. 2009
After some considerable time reviewing my brother bought the samsung and i bought the sony. First off the my sony was produced in august 09 and has no back light issues I am aware of at all back light levels.
Comparitively my brother bought the samsung for its technically superior computer and media related abilities. whereas i bought the sony for its "very slightly" warmer feeling, dare i say more realistic image which I experienced in numerous shops before purchase. In reality after purchase I still feel the same way. The samsung has as with most lcds a slight dark feel to it although the image is crystal clear and most people will say "settings, SETTINGS" however and this may be so but when I see my brothers tv it reminds me of a slightly cloudy day all the time no matter what setting. To sum up if you like compters and a cool looking tv with a technically almost perfect picture then its the samsung but if you would like to feel like to watch hd movies like you are looking at real life through a window then its the sony.

Just to say neither of us are unhappy with our purchase and these views are just my own opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Optimising Settings, 9 July 2009
L. Wesley "R3D3Y3" (South coast UK) - See all my reviews
Initially torn between the Samsung B650 and Sony W5500 I went against some reviews and purchased this Sony. Extremely glad I did; the backlight bleed can be tamed and is only a minor -ve in relation to the overall performance. I found that out of the box factory settings did not do the TV justice and as this is a relatively new to the market TV, optimum settings were not available on the net. Hence I have tinkered for a couple of months and posted my personal settings below to aid others. My set is connected to a Virgin V+ box via HDMI using the '720 wide' V+ menu setting (1080p not available unless box is pure HD and 1080i makes text have 'jaggys').

Target inputs HDMI 1
Auto light dimmer off
Clear white off
Live colour off
White balance all @ 0

I have found that these base settings produce vibrancy and clarity whilst maintaining real life skin tones. Also works very well on my DVD upscaler that displays in 1080p. Hope this helps others but please remember that these are 'personal' settings that may not be to everyone's taste. It would be easy to write a Magna Carta review explaining all the attributes and features this set has but I believe other folk have done this commendably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 19 Mar. 2009
N. Mclester "N Macleicester" (Warwickshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Similar to most people, I was drawn to the 40W5500 because of the reputation(and lack of stock) of the 40W4500. A member of my family took delivery of a 4500 before christmas and the quality I saw there cemented my desire to own a Sony W series LCD Television.

Firstly the price offered for this set by Amazon is second to none. As a reliable and known web retailer it filled me with confidence to purchase, and I havn't been disappointed.

Firstly, the set-up was as easy as could possibly be. Plug everything in and let the auto set-up take control.

The pictures from Standard definition, from both the built in digital tuner and Sky, provides an excellent viewing experience. No pixillation, sharp lines and excellent detailing in dark scenes.

High Definition Blu-Ray pictures are quite simply in another world. Having Run Wall-E, Mama-Mia and Phantom of the Opera, the picture is at worse on par with the predecessor 40W4500, if anything of better quality....absolutely breathtaking!

I look forward to a glowing review from the likes of What Hi-Fi, and then the ability to gloat as the stock of this TV suffer under what I'm sure will be massive demand.

In Summary, great service from Amazon; Excellent Set from Sony

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb piece of technology from Sony., 18 Mar. 2009
C. Shipley - See all my reviews
I have held off for quite some time before buying an LCD tv as I just didn't think the technology was good enough.
I first considered the KDL40W4500 about 6 weeks ago but was unable to find one anywhere, I then found out the reason, the KDL40W5500 was to be released at the end of March. I did the research & compared to the previous model and found quite a few things upgraded, especially the contrast ratio.

I placed my order with Amazon after looking around & found Amazon to be £350 cheaper than Curry's, Dixon's at the time, bargain!
I'm amazed at the delivery from Amazon, the TV went on the market on Monday & I received mine on Tuesday before 11am.

Straight out of the box you can see it is stylish & sleek, a quick disconnect of my old equipment and slotting this in place took all of 10 minutes. turned on the TV & Skipped the channel search (I only have Sky std, no TV aerial) and I was up and running.

The picture is stunning and i was amazed that there is no pixelation like i have seen on other lcd tv's that try to upscale.
I played a dvd and was completely in awe of the clarity and can't imagine how it could be better on a BluRay but I guess I will find out fairly soon.

I have always been very pro Sony & all my equipment I admit is Sony but this is for this very reason, Quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece by Sony once again, they are setting new standards once again for LCD TVs..., 17 Mar. 2009
First of all I'd like to commend Amazon on top class next day express delivery! I received the TV this morning...

Simply sublime picture quality, gorgeous Midnight black finish, 4 HDMI Connections(SKY, Blu Ray Player, PC/Laptop & PS3) THANK YOU! Finally I can remove the multitap which I used with my last Bravia, Bravia Engine 3, 100000:1 Contrast, 24p True Cinema (this has to be seen to believe)...

Sony have put together a beauty, tested out the Motionflow system with Manchester Utd - The Champions League Final, stunning...
Watched Batman - The Dark Knight on Blu Ray 1080p/24p, I watched the movie again as I just wanted to appreciate the sheer detail this TV produces...

PS3 fans? OKay, I've only managed to only test two games Resistance 2 (sharper & smoother) Kill Zone 2 (league of it's own)

GUI is very very much like the PS3 layout, gorgeous...

I do recommend using the high end HDMI cables, take a look at the Sony ones (you won't regret it).

Sony have produced another corker... purchase this set and you won't be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for watching the 2010 World Cup in HD, 21 Mar. 2010
S. J. Cross (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I bought this TV specifically for watching this summers Football World Cup Final's and I can't wait.

The picture quality is spot on, I've certainly not seen any better whilst searching the sheds and high street stores. The colours are very life like thanks to the Bravia engine. The picture moves very, very smoothly and whilst watching the Premier League I've seen no picture lag, infact I have never detected any picture lag at anytime. The 100Hz motion flow is first class.

The sound from the onboard speakers is ok (infact I would go further and say very good if it wasn't for the online reviewer detractors who are making me question my own judgement), I'm not sure just what people expect, its a TV the sound will never 'compare' to a high end HiFi system, however again its as good as you will probably find on any TV of a similar design.

The built in Freeview is nice, again picture and sound excellent and the presentation of the electronic program guide is very cool, it certainly looks the part.

The remote is excellent, its easy to navigate, and sits comfortably in your hand.

Their seems to be plenty of sockets including 3 hdmi sockets.

The build quality as you would expect is excellent.

A very recommended buy which I am sure will provide many years of excellent service. Buy now, and like me cheer England on to World Cup victory in South Africa! COME ON ENGLAND!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning!!, 16 Dec. 2009
Richard Clark (Upton St Leonards, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this TV from Amazon on 14th December with Free Delivery and was staggered to have it delivered the following morning. I selected this particular model on the strength of the predominantly positive reviews I'd read here, though I'm a Sony fan anyway. I'd had a KDL32D3000 before which I had been very happy with, but simply wanted a larger screen size. Having tweaked the picture settings to my satisfaction, I'm exceedingly pleased with the results. I've seen no evidence of the backlight problem some reviewers have alluded to (my set has a manufacture date of 09/09), and watching an episode of Life (about primates) on BBC HD through my Virgin Media V+ box last night, the picture was absolutely stunning. This is the only HD source I have, but I have to say that viewing through the TV's Freeview tuner provides a highly satisfactory picture too. I think a Blu-Ray player will have to come next. Whilst accepting what some people say concerning improved sound quality with external sound systems, I find the internal speakers and sound quality perfectly satisfactory. I haven't tried any PC connection yet, and probably won't, largely because I'm of the opinion that a TV is just that, a TV. Early days, but I'm extremely pleased with this piece of kit, especially at £679.99 when my local Sony Centre is selling it at £999 (or £899 with scrappage). A bargain too good to miss!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Breath Taking, 24 Mar. 2009
Having waited for at least 3 years for the LCD market to mature enough - I've finally found a TV which produces as good quality picture as my 10 year old Bang & Olufson.

Set up and installation is easy - although it can be a bit tricky to find the place where you insert the kettle plug - and with an indoor aerial I'm picking up 99 Freeview channels. The picture quality on most of these channels is stunning - although there are a few such as ITV 2 which don't match up to the rest.

DVD's through a PS3 + HDMI cable are beautiful.

Through the freeview box or the PS3 I've seen no blurring and the only pixelation I've seen has been from the poor quality freeview channels such as ITV 2 as mentioned above.

Its only flaw is pretty poor quality sound from the in-built speakers - however for a TV which cost £950 at the time of purchase, I couldn't be happier. Its just a matter of time before I've saved the pennies to buy separate speakers and an amp to make it perfect.

If you're looking for an LCD TV - I couldn't recommend the W5500 series highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›