5.0 out of 5 stars A hauntingly beautiful piece of music
Published on 2 Jan 2009 by K. J. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music
This album gave me much pleasure when I bought it, years ago. I think it should be fair to say that it falls under the category of "great film music" rather than "great classical music". It should be listened with that in mind. After all, it IS film music as it was written as a "score" for an old Dreyer film.
I would give it five stars for music but I'm taking off...
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by Pompompom

5.0 out of 5 stars A hauntingly beautiful piece of music, 2 Jan 2009
K. J. Watson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
I cannot agree with the previous reviewer. This is a beautiful piece of music that has real heart and passion. Well written and beautifully performed I listen to this piece regularly and would recommend this. I have played the CD to friends who have all enjoyed it and many have purchased it themselves. Please buy it and we might get to hear more from this modern composer with a feel for melody and harmony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is there a limit to beauty?, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
I don't know but, as far as modern classical music goes, this piece almost makes me answer yes. A great companion to the Passion of Dreyer (is there a better OST+movie pair?). Listening it with or without the movie are both beautiful experiences.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music, 9 Jan 2010
Pompompom (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
I would give it five stars for music but I'm taking off another point because of the sound quality. This thing seems to have been recorded in the early ages of CD and one can only imagine what a modern version, properly recorded, of this work would sound like! I have no idea how a company like Sony can produce such a bad recording.
Overall, very recommended, with some genuinely beautiful moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 21 Aug 2013
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
Beautiful, haunting, heartbreaking, atmospheric, stunning. A fantastic CD with a number of standout delights. I'm so glad I managed to find a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music of heart, 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
First time I have ever heard the music from this cd was the "American Horror Story" series 2.
I fell in love with the sounds and words, and had to buy it. It is an album with classical music and mostly Latin language used, but it definitely has that special magic one will fall for... Reccommend!

2.0 out of 5 stars A big disappointment, 15 Nov 2008
This review is from: Voices of Light (Audio CD)
I heard an extract from 'Voices of Light' on the Radio 4 programme 'Something Understood' (always a good source if you're looking for music that is off the beaten track) and was intrigued enough to want to listen to the whole work.

It quickly became evident that the item played on the programme was the best section in what is otherwise a very poor piece of music.

The composer, Richard Einhorn, was inspired to write his oratorio by the 1928 film 'The Passion of Joan of Arc' which is one of the masterpieces of the silent cinema. I am afraid that, on this occasion, his inspiration deserted him.

The piece is, broadly, in the minimalist style, and one can detect the influence of composers like Pärt, Glass and Kilar. However, Einhorn's style is bland. There is an over reliance on the fourth and fifth intervals, presumably to give the piece some kind of medieval feel. A trio of violas da gamba provides some desperately needed colour to the score.

The performers do the best they can with the material and the words that have been set are unusual and distinctive. The music is not. Go and listen to any of the other minimalist composers; they do it so much better.

Voices of Light
Voices of Light by Netherlands Radio Choir, Netherlands Radio Philharmonic, Steven Mercurio Anonymous 4
Buy MP3 Album6.99