5.0 out of 5 stars I heard she has a wooden leg
This is the Tom Waits album that I keep coming back to. It was also the first one I heard many years ago and its appeal has really lasted. For anyone who hasn't heard any of Waits' music before it is also the ideal point to come in. Some of his earlier and later works ('Small Change', 'Real Gone', 'Frank's Wild Years')are much more inaccessible and require a lot of...
Published on 13 Aug 2006 by Mike J. Wheeler

J. F. Gulliver "J Gulliver" (Birmingham England) - See all my reviews
Wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars oh god..., 22 Jan 2007
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
One of the greatest albums of all time.. no more, no less. Its hard for me to understand why I like Rain Dogs.. but then again its hard for me to understand why I like Tom Waits so much in the first place.. I guess he is more of an aquired taste to most people, reguardless, this album is an artistic masterpeice. Waits' lyrics are very poetic and abstract as usual.. and musically there is a balance here that most albums of any genre can't accomplish. There is a perfect mix of serious ballads and quirky, fun, polkas or whatever.

I cant really reccomend this album to anyone who has not heard of or heard Tom Waits.. because this band is rather like Primus in the sense that you either hate it, or love it.. and if you love Tom Waits, then you already have this album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars for ++++-off presentation of this particular reissue., 2 Mar 2010
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
Just about the production values apparent in this CD reissue, i.e. 042282638229/ASIN B000001FFJ (so it may not apply to any others, but as this one is nice and cheap, you may not be inclined to look further): you get no info. on the personnel at all, which is a shaming shame given what a landmark crew was here. Can be got online, but should be here (it IS in the insert for Swordfishtrombones, along with the lyrics). Don't know if the LP had more info., but this first came out a quarter of a century ago, so who cares if it wasn't THEN; it SHOULD be NOW. No lyrics here either, should you need them (again, don't know if they ever were, but they sure should be now).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hang down your head, 25 Jun 2008
Alan D. Evans "Big Al" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
What an album! I have never known two songs hang down your head and time to make me cry! They are two af my fave songs EVER! But the whole album just oozes by wonderfuly! Tom is an amazing geezer and this album rocks from start to finish! BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st and still best, 20 April 2007
I. Smith (Letchworth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
This was the very first CD I ever bought - a random choice after hearing his music used in a contemporary dance show. It thrilled me then and it thrills me now. Unquestionably deserves it's place in the best albums ever line up.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant mid-career set - My favourite Waits album, 11 April 2008
Annabel Gaskell "gaskella2" (Nr Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
Tom Waits is one of music's best-kept secrets. You may not know his name, but you'll know his songs - Rod Stewart's cover of 'Downtown Train' or Springsteen's 'Jersey Girl' for instance. He's a outstanding songwriter with a unique selling point ... his voice. To describe it as a bourbon-soaked, gravelly barroom growl would be to do him a disservice as it's far more than that. It's another musical instrument, but one deriving from the theatre or circus, not from any conventional orchestra.

Rain Dogs, the sequel to Swordfishtrombones (vols I & II of a mid-career trilogy of albums for Island records), was released in 1985. There is not a single dud track from the first 'Singapore' and the anticipation of a journey just beginning, right to the end and the world-weary 'Anywhere I lay my head'. As usual we meet a motley groups of Waitsian characters from Uncle Vernon in the percussive 'Cemetery Polka' to Brooklyn girls in the sublime aforementioned 'Downtown Train'. We meet the guys 'Walking Spanish' - prisoners walking down death row and see the seedy side of life on '9th & Hennepin'. My personal favourites are 'Jockey full of bourbon' and the title track 'Rain Dogs', both of which are about booze and carousing, and although they're not lullabies are strangely soothing musically. Several tracks are boosted by the appearance of Keith Richards too. This character fuelled album is upbeat and uplifting and totally addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the first day of the rest of your life!, 11 April 2006
lupinz (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
This album will change your life.
I have just bought another copy as I wore out the first.
Pure genius
Buy it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars dutch (ronnie reagan?) ain't pink no more., 21 Dec 2006
Mr. P. C. Miller "enoch soames" (debden near loughton, essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
my favourite album of all time. know it off pat (who he) all the words plenty of the guitar. don't listen to it as much now, maybe a couple a times a year, enough to maintain a friendship with anyone. Came to it or it came to me in 1997. Main memory walking through Green Park with it on my walkman at that time. I weren't well frankly but it spoke to me, opened my eyes in some kinda way. Tom, Elvis Costello, and Bob Dylan. Possibly the artists that will be remembered by history. I hope so, it will mean the world was going to be alright all along.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply beautiful songs sung with angel voices, 28 Feb 2002
This review is from: Rain Dogs (Audio CD)
12 songs of almost heart breaking simplicity and beauty. If Emmylou Harris had just begun she would sound like this. A perfect sunday morning album. Treads the line between Americana and traditional country perfectly.
If you love Emmylou or Hazeldine then buy this and treasure it

Rain Dogs