on 24 November 2014
I remember watching the animated series as a child back in the early 70's and though I'd never seen them since I wanted to remind myself of what they were like. The obvious thought that would come to mind would be 'childrens animated series'? Must be awful but in fact its not the case at all. The animation is obviously very dated but what is the real strength here are the stories themselves. The series starts with an amazing sci-fi story of a centuries old 'entity' which can take over electrical items (e.g. the Enterprise) which they find on an old spaceship. As they are shorter, under 30mins per episode, the stories are generally much tighter but also don't allow for much character development, but as we know the characters anyway its not a problem. Adding two aliens as crew members, the 3 legged Arex, and the lioness like M'Res, was much better than any previous or subsequent series did (no weird lump on the head to denote a whole new species) though many of the alien designs in the series seem to have more links to fantasy (griffins, cats, catapillars, dragons, etc.) than science fiction.
on 17 June 2012
Just close yours eyes and hear the the TLC that was put into "Star Trek: The Animated Series", because the same writers and actors crossed over from the live action world into the world of animation, and what was created went beyond ordinary cartoons, this is Star Trek, the forth season.
on 19 December 2011
I'm totally delighted with this item.
Not just for the quality of it, but also because it's one of the items I'm replacing after a burglary.
It's a great addition to any collection of Sci-Fi.
on 29 October 2015
I have been intending to order this for years now and finally got round to it recently. Often referred to by enthusiasts as the original series "4th season", since the writers are from the originals, as are the actors who voice the animations. The episodes are shorter than the live action series (which initially surprised me) so some of them seem a bit rushed but for seasoned old Trekkies like me the magic is still there. Great to finally own these 22 important episodes which completes my Star Trek DVD collection.
on 2 September 2014
Star Trek The Animated series captures the atmosphere and adventures of the original Star Trek TV series. It's able to create locations and aliens that the small budgets of the TV series couldn't achieve and is well worth a watch. Favourite episodes are Beyond The Farthest Star and The Infinite Vulcan. Features the voices of all the main actors except Walter Koenig, and James Doohan plays Scotty again plus provides the voices for most of the supporting cast.. Amazing.
on 7 March 2015
I love Star Trek and have all the DVDs etc and i never gave the animated show a thought until now, and what a treat i have missed! The episodes are well written by some famous writers including Larry Niven.I thought that they were meant for children No not at all adults can get as much enjoyment out of them as well. The animation is rather basic but to have the original cast voice them makes up for this.
If you love Star Trek honestly you will love these.
on 20 February 2014
I remember this on Saturday morning TV, and struggled to find them on DVD. So was very pleased when I came across this, especially for £10!
Ok so quite a few corners have been cut with the production, and the animation looks a bit dated. Plus the story lines are not exactly dynamite. BUT it's Star Trek, and was aimed at kids. If your a Trek fan you'll appreciate this, but it wont take pride of place in your collection. A good bit of nostalgia.
on 8 June 2014
I obtained a boxset of this, a different type but similar to this one, some years ago. I enjoyed all the episodes of this animated series, just as much as all the other Star Trek series. This animated series is the forgotten Star Trek series, and should have equal status to the others.
This animated series, or most of it anyway, was originally meant to be the 4th season of the original series.
on 25 February 2013
This should really simply be regarded as season four of the original series, as it's easily as good as at least the later live action episodes, with the original cast recreating their roles perfectly for animation. Officially, the animated series is not regarded as "in-continuity" with the live action stuff. But who cares about "officially"? It's brilliant all the same!
on 19 October 2014
A classic genre defining television series, with an animated spin-off made on the cheap. This said, I cannot fault it. The beauty is in the Star Trek framework and the excellent story lines. I even found myself recoiling when a "monster" suddenly appeared in one of the episodes I was that plugged into what I was watching.