4.0 out of 5 stars A very effective security device
The idea of re-creating the effect of having your television switched on is a good one as having just static lights on timers in an unoccupied house isn't always convincing. So I was keen to try this device out.

Published on 23 Sep 2009 by N. Burgess

3.0 out of 5 stars Low light sensor lets this down
The device doesn't simulate what we usually do - watch the TV with a small lamp on.

Published 5 months ago by Tom

4.0 out of 5 stars A very effective security device, 23 Sep 2009
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)

The first thing you notice is that the device is a lot smaller than how it appears in the rather deceptive picture. It's only about 3" x 3" in size, not much bigger than a plug. I was concerned something so small would be able to generate enough light but as long as all other light sources in the room are switched off ie. the room is pitch black, then this device will provide good illumination. However, it's best to put it as near to a window as possible to get the maximum effect, so any blinds or curtains should be closed and the Fake TV should then be pointed so it shines directly at the blinds/curtains.

The device also has a light sensor that will make it automatically switch on as soon as it gets dark and then stay on for either 4 or 7 hours, this can be set manually. Alternatively you can have it stay on all the time, in this case it's best to attach it to a timer plug, this is probably a more practical solution than relying on the light sensor.

When switched on the device becomes illuminated and this illumination changes intensity at quick random intervals, simulating the light flickering effect of a TV. The device itself consumes very little power and is very safe, I left it on all night and its temperature hadn't changed at all, so there's no danger of it overheating while you're away.

So does it actually work? I turned out all the lights in my front room late at night, closed the window blinds, then pointed this device so it shone directly at the closed blinds. I then went outside and observed the house from the outside public path, as if I was a passer-by, and I can report it's very convincing. From the outside it really does look as if someone is watching TV in the room and definitely gives the impression that there's activity within the house.

This is definitely a very good security device to add to your house. The way it simulates a switched on TV is undoubtedly convincing enough to put a seed of doubt into the mind of any potential burglar. Fake TV is a cleverer way of making an empty house appear occupied than regular timer lights and I recommend it as an addition to your security setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the real thing!, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
Well conceived, well designed, well made and well priced. The flickering light, projected onto a wall, looks just like the real thing from outside, using only a small amount of electricity. What's not to like? An excellent product, so good I bought another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but effective, 20 Nov 2011
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
When one of my neighbours got burgled and lost a lot of electrical posessions I knew I had to search for something to deter burglers from trying the same with my place. Saw this item and thought I'd give it a go. I was surprised at how small this was when I first got it, but I tried it out and was surprised at the brightness of the illumination. The first real try was setting it to light sensor before I left the house in the morning for work. It gets dark now (November, UK) around 5pm and I don't get home till about 7pm. Arriving home and walking up my street was a joy when I saw the light doing its ever-changing light effect from the window. I have it positioned on a coffee table pointing directly towards the window. It definitely looks like someone is inside the house. For such a small price its a great comfort knowing it provides my house with some illusion of movement and occupancy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, well worth the money., 18 Nov 2009
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
This is a neat, energy saving device that provides a realistic impresssion that someone is at home watching TV or using a monitor. Best positioned at an angle to the window behind light drapery, use with 7 day electronic timer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective deterrent, 9 Oct 2011
G. Brindley (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
Although surprisingly small, this unit is very easy to set up and works brilliantly - from outside you would be very hard pushed to tell the difference between this and a real TV. (I used both to check). Obviously it needs to be in a room where it can't be seen directly from outside, such as an upstairs room, or used with curtains closed, perhaps not too thick as they could block the light. Adding some sound (e.g. this unit plus radio on a time switch) could make it even more convincing.

5.0 out of 5 stars great little gadget, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
this is a brilliant little gadget,it does what it says,looking at the windows from the outside you cannot tell,its not a real tv being watched inside,putting that seed of doubt in the burgalers mind,and uses hardly any electricity,very pleased with this amazing little gadget would def recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Low light sensor lets this down, 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)

We found that with a table lamp in the opposite corner of the room on, that the device never came on. Even when it was stuffed on the floor in virtual darkness behind a 4 drawer unit to shield it from any stray light it wouldn't work. We had to set it to the 'on' position and use a timer switch instead.

If the dusk sensor worked for me, I would rate it quite highly and with a time switch it still does work. Just be aware of this limitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful security device, 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
My neighbour alerted me to the fact that my TV was on when she assumed I was out of the house; so, no more need be said as to the realism of this device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fake TV Light, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
Have been looking for a security item like this, which produces what would appear to be a TV on in a room. Saw one advertised in a magazine from a Sunday newspaper and looked on Amazon which was just as well as they were cheaper. The light is very compact and I had my doubts, but was impressed with it as it does give the appearance of a TV on in a room. I think that the other reviews are correct in saying that it probably works best plugged in to a timer switch, but it can be used automatically on the 4 or 7 hour option on the unit itself. Although I think that it would probably switch on and off too soon, dependant on the light around the unit. All in all am pleased with this and it does look authentic when viewed from outside the house.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: FakeTV Burglar Deterrent Device (Electronics)
Will keep this short as words can't describe this product, Found it to be fantastic. As I work night a lot i bought this product in conjunction with some night lights to add a bit more security and this product in particular does that. My neighbour even said to me she was knocking on my door last night as she seen the light flickering and thought i was at home watching tv. So nearly a 5!

ARRAY(0xa7cc24d4)