5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds absolutely fantastic
I have to disagree with the previous reviewer. This sounds several times better than the previous edition.

Published on 29 April 2009 by B. N. Elbaum

3.0 out of 5 stars Super fine Album - but questionable mastering
I have nothing to add to the music - this is a very fine Genesis album, which deserves nothing less than 5 stars.

Published 23 months ago by Mr. Donvad

3.0 out of 5 stars Super fine Album - but questionable mastering, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster) (Audio CD)

As I hear it - the actual remix is absolutely very well done, but the mastering doesn't sound optimal on my fine stereo... It is too hard compressed, which takes away some of the relaxation in the all-over sound and also the bass is a bit undefined/muddy in the sound at times. Lately I've heard that they have stopped following the sad trend of too loud mastering, exactly for the reasons described here.

I've never seen the point though - if you want the music louder, just turn up your stereo?!? - with an overpowering level in the mastering, you looses the depth and headroom and when you do turn it up, it gets annoying/tiring to the ears in the long run, which probably wasn't anyone's intention in the first place. In other words, the softer parts in the music will appear too upfront - and the powerful places will sound harsh and muddy - because there's no headroom - not enough place for the individual instruments to stand out - simply put, you'll sadly just end up with less dynamics.

All this said it is definitely not a totally disaster and it do appear with a more lively and defined sound that the "Definitive Edition Masters" series - and on most standard stereos (like two speakers and a subwoofer) you probably won't even notice it. But if they do reprint again some time in the future, I definitely hope that they will consider a new and more musical mastering - the music definitely deserve that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sounds absolutely fantastic, 29 April 2009
B. N. Elbaum "Eapo_q42" (Melbourne, Aus.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster) (Audio CD)

I, too, own the definitive edition from 1994. I only bought it a couple of years ago. Compared to more recent remasters from my other favourite prog bands like Yes and Jethro Tull, I always thought the definitive editions sounded very thin. Not only that, but there was audible hiss and distortion on all of them (particularly nursery cryme, the musical box sounded horrible in parts) to some degree.

These recent reissues do sound much better. Though there are some issues with compression, the improvement is absolutely phenomenal. In particular, Gabriel's voice and Collins' drumming are crisp and powerful. These songs actually sound like they are being played by a ROCK AND ROLL band, if you know what i mean. A very important part of the genesis sound is the contrast between etheral melodies and a sort of dark menace. Here, the menace hits harder than ever before, and makes the songs all the more palatable.

If you got the recent remaster of Trick of the Tail and were horrified at the compression, fear not. This is way better (as are all the 1970-1975 remasters) and worth your pretty penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 30 May 2001
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
This is the album where Genesis first showed what a talent they really were. Not one track is throwaway here and the best ones include "Watcher of the Skies". This classic is superbly atmospheric and its opening sounds like modern trance music. Gabriel's voice has clearly matured and provides some in depth character performances on numbers such as "Get 'em out by Friday,". "Time Table," is suitably melodic and has some great piano riffs in it. "Can utility and the Coastliners," has some great guitar solos from Hackett and has stood the test of time well. "Horizons," acts a melodic filler before the superb "Supper's Ready," which features great work from all the band members and is as good as any other equivalent prog-rock compositions of its time. An essential recording by Genesis - one of their best, if not the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great prog rock masterpiece, 9 April 2005
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
This album illustrates quite simply some of the best prog-rock songs ever created, and culminates in the 20-minute masterpiece that is 'Supper's Ready', a fairy-tale/adventure story which is broken up into a number of different sections, of quite markable contrast (my personal favourite being the head-twistingly impossible 'Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)' , which sees the band cruising along effortlessly in a 9/8 time-signature in perfect synchronicity as if they were playing 12-bar blues!).
My advice; if you're looking for something challenging, or fancy diversifying your record collection a bit, then buy this album. It's definitely a "sit down and listen to in one go" type of album; and its quite possible that your first listen might leave you saying "huh..? what the heck?", but it seriously grows on you and reveals something new on every listen. Now how many albums can you honestly say that about?

4.0 out of 5 stars This album is perfect Genesis!, 21 Oct 2000
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
Foxtrot was the album that catupulted Genesis into the spotlight,and followed on from the good work produced on Nursery Crime. It contains some fantastic pieces of brilliance,and well crafted Peter Gabriel lyrics. 'Watcher of the Skies' is a powerful opening track,followed by the beautiful 'Timetable' and the sing-a-long 'Get Em Out By Friday.' Gabriel brings power and thought to his singing,balanced well by Phil Collins,who provides crisp and solid druming. 'Horizons' is a beautiful instrumental,conjouring images of a quiet and serene paradise,with atmospheric acoustic playing by Steve Hackett. The epictrack of 'Supper's Ready' has several brilliant moments... the fun of Willow Farm and All Change,a great Hackett electric guitar solo,the lyrics,Tony Bank's keyboards,the great rythmn section of Collins and Rutherford,and the line about Narcissus...'a flower?' Foxtrot is worth buying for all this and much,much more! Buy it NOW!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genesis: Foxtrot Re-mastered CD & Vinyl (2008), 19 April 2010
P. Kelly (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster) (Audio CD)
Genesis: Foxtrot Re-mastered CD & Vinyl (2008)

This was the album that established Genesis as one of the top progressive bands of the early 70s. Looking back it was really a major piece of work that was so different to what they had done previously. This album was a pleasure to listen to back in 1972 as it is today. I have the original vinyl copy and recently settled for the USA Import vinyl re-mastered box set due to quality problems with the UK released box set. The original vinyl release was never in my view a classical production/pressing that fully demonstrated Hi-Fi sound quality. It is amusing to see that the original record inner-sleeve contains a warning: `This long playing record is a high precision product that must be handled with care'. Clearly not by today's technically advancements but music companies still have difficultly making them as good as back in the 1970s even with 180/200grams of virgin vinyl. The re-mastered vinyl lacks some of the higher frequency range in places but it has clearer and more pronounced bass/percussion sound vs the original vinyl release.

I was playing extensively up to the re-issue of this re-master CD the Definitive Edition Release (DER) CD. This in my view is much better in sound quality compared to the Trespass and Nursery Cryme DER versions. I think this re-mastered Foxtrot CD version is also better than the DER version although the performance gap is not as much as for the Trespass and Nursery Cryme CDs. It has a slightly clearer, fuller sound that is more engaging to the listener. Although I think Trespass 2008 re-master is better in terms of the most sonically improvement vs the past CD releases, this re-mastered Foxtrot is the best CD overall in sound quality comparing all the 2008 re-masters.

The album contains six very strong songs (no fillers here). Three classic Genesis tracks: `Watcher of the Skies' (excellent mellotron/organ intro), Get `em by Friday (Great lyrics and strong instrumental passages) and of course the ultimate Genesis master-piece `Supper's Ready'. I will always remember a close friend's parents being totally shocked that we were listening as young teenagers to songs with lyrics about housing exploitation issues, forced genetic height restrictions and the end of the Earth/Human Race. Really shocking subjects back in the early 70s.

I think the Steve Hackett instrumental track, `Horizons' positioned just before Suppers Ready works so well. On this re-mastered CD his acoustic guitar sound on this track is very sharp. `Time Table' (great piano intro) and Can-Utility (strong musical passages) are also excellent songs that tend to get over-looked. I have been listening to the track `Supers Ready' now for 38 years and it still sounds interesting, fresh and moving as it did back in 1972, a really classic track. It's strength lies in taking the listener on a musical journey that continually changes direction and keeps the attention throughout. A strong combination of instrumental and vocal interaction. On this album they started putting together longer musical passages during tracks that would develop further on the Selling England album.

In conclusion, this re-mastered CD is excellent quality throughout and highly recommended. The album is still a pleasurable listening experience and a major contribution to their development that continued with the next two studio albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Remastered: Remarkable!, 15 Dec 2010
Abstract (Nottinghamshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster) (Audio CD)
I hestitated purchasing this, mainly as a consequence of some of the comments already made about the audio results of the remastering process for this recording. After all, I have the LP on vinyl AND the first issued cd. Why would I want to buy it again?

Well, curiosity overtook me and in a moment of weakness I ordered it.

I'm glad I did.

Yes, it's still a muddy sound. All the way through I wanted to turn the trebble up and delve deeper into the mix as other remastered albums allow, but I assume the original recording of Foxtrot makes that difficult.

Having said that, there is more than enough extra detail exposed in this recording to marvel at that was criminally hidden in the original mix. I'll not go into specifics track by track as it's worth exploring that for yourself, alone in a darkened room, without being prompted.

It is sufficient to say that

1) Gabriel's voice is clearer and his phrasing can now be heard (unlike the original) which lends added vigour/sadness/emotion/interpretation to the songs. I now know why I've always found the post-Gabriel Genesis to be lacking in something

2)Individual instruments can be identified within the soundscape, opening up all sorts of interesting goings-on that have only been vaguely hinted at previously

3) Although I liked the album a lot before, I have discovered greater depth, enjoyment and greater appreciation (if it's possible)of the band's musicianship by listening to this remastered version.

There are faults (I would have liked to have greater clarity of Collin's drumming, for instance), it's not perfect, but if you like the original album you'll like this a lot more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant - I'm fourteen all over again..., 2 Oct 2009
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
I remember buying this not long after it came out. I was fourteen years old. In fact I bought Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme, on 12in vinyl of course, within a few weeks of each other. This album just blew me away. I would play it loud when my parents weren't home, I loved the whole album and I know it's rather cliche'd, but I especially liked Supper's Ready. I would read the sleeve notes and the words to the songs over and over again until I knew them by heart. I about wore the thing out on the old tin box we laughingly called a hi-fi back then. I have long since dispensed with vinyl but wish now I had kept my favourites, these two Genesis albums and of course Pink Floyds Dark Side to name but a few.
I have owned several CD versions over the years that have come and gone and recently I bought the remastered version. I don't pretend to be an audiophile, far from it, I just re-bought it because Foxtrot should be, and will be, in my library forever.
I have just played it right through, I am alone at home, my wife is at work, and once again I sit and listen all the way through, reading the words and listening to the story lines. I am transported back to my old bedroom, in the house I lived in with my parents and my sister......and, oh boy, such an emotional charge. Supper's ready is of course the very epitome of that group called Genesis, their very essence, their heart and soul, are contained within this piece, a magnum Opus indeed as one reviewer put it. I suppose if I had to pick a favourite subtrack then I guess it would have to be the grand finale, the seventh track "As sure as eggs is eggs". They went on to perform other great music of course, but for me, Foxtrot was, and is, the cream of the Genesis crop.
Yes I remember it like it was yesterday, I was fourteen, I was fully charged with raging boy-hormones, life was innocent then and this album STILL does it for me. Oh happy days !

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Remastered, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Foxtrot (MP3 Download)
This is a good attempt at remastering a 1971 masterpiece.

All the tracks benefit from enhanced (for the better), vocals & drums, but through all the tracks the mix is well balanced.

My favourites are Horizons, & the 'HUGE' Supper's Ready. When you first listen to this version of Supper's Ready it doesn't sound as compressed & cluttered as the previous versions, but some parts don't have quite the same impact because of this:- listen to it again and you start to hear that all the parts are still there; just lying cleverly in the whole mix, not popping out because of some compressor / limiter/ reverb treatment that was the rule in 1971 to make it 'pop' on vinyl, listen again & it gets even better, (and you'll hear other parts subdued by the old mixing techniques brought more to the fore because of the removal of the above effects / treatments).
I have heard the vinyl version, a 90's Japanese Remaster & this 2008 Remaster and have expectations as to 'how it should go', (also with it being an eccentric piece with many changes, the listener follows along & tends to get involved).

I regard this version as a very good remaster that a listener will hear more of how it probably sounded in the studio......Well worth a listen:- would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 1 Nov 2002
This review is from: Foxtrot (Remastered) (Audio CD)
This to me is one of the best early Genesis albums. Nursery cryme is good, but this album gets all my support. The lamb.. is great, but before that great masterpiece, occurred this album which delights pretty well. Short; six songs. But what songs! In the world of progressive rock (from the 70 s) ther are many different places and sources where this music came from. England was a place of great musicians (too many to put here), Italy, Germany so on..
Still this album remains as one of the strongest, and more intelligent to my liking to come out in that period. I reccomend it to anyone.

Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster)
Foxtrot (2008 Digital Remaster) by Genesis (Audio CD - 2009)