5.0 out of 5 stars ''If I had a voice I would sing''
This is haunting, evocative stuff. Karin Dreijer Andersson digitally manipulates her voice throughout the album to sound sluggish and weary, high and low-pitched, but occasionally as on 'When I Grow Up', her real and strikingly beautiful voice pierces through the murk and establishes an innovative use of the voice as instrument.

The lyrics are abstract as...
Published on 24 Jan. 2010 by Odelay In Space

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth the £8+
The disc was in good condition however the case was damaged and tatty and the poster inlay was waterdamaged- charity shop quality
Published 12 months ago by rolonde francis bradshaw

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ''If I had a voice I would sing'', 24 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)

The lyrics are abstract as though they are constructed dream-like, and the line 'We talk about love, we talk about dishwasher tablets, illness and we dream about heaven' in the song 'Seven' becomes something deeply profound and tragic.

Initially the songs blend together but subsequent listens reveal layers of complexity perhaps disguised by the mid-tempo pace of the album. Unlike The Knife's more danceable pulsing beats from 'Silent Shout', this is slower, more meditative, but ultimately just as eerie and starved of emotion. If anything the cold and hollow synths and percussion here betray a sense of sadness and a search for something tangibly human. 'Dry and Dusty' ends with the line 'And I long for every moment' which to me is as emotionally telling and relatable as it is foreboding and isolating.

I didn't feel disturbed by this music as much as I felt comforted, because the detachment on display tells me there's not just 'happy' or 'depressing' music, there's a whole spectrum of emotions present in these ten tracks that express much more than you would expect. This is best summed up by 'Keep The Streets Empty For Me' and it's final line, 'Uncover our heads and reveal our souls', and here Dreijer Andersson does just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Enigmatic and Fantastic album with Amazing videos!, 13 Oct. 2009
Roberto de Oliveira (Guaruja, Sao Paulo - BRAZIL) - See all my reviews
Fever Ray have came with a incredible sound, some between electronic and ethnic, with several multi-percussion sounds in an excellent arrangement (where it sounds are particular) but it doesn't sound complex, the songs take you to a unknown and fantastic world and create a introspective atmosphere. Fever Ray (Karin) have great vocal performances that is memorable, sometimes with her pure voice, others with your vocoder voice. But it's great to see here those amazing videos, they are equally strange and fantastics... I really have wanted that and it's a great surprise this Special edition with DVD and 2 bonus tracks! Really great and I encourage those who wants a true travel through of mystic and fantastic world of Fever Ray.

4.0 out of 5 stars If I had a heart I could love you, 25 Aug. 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
Fever Ray does not make music. They make dark, eerie electronic soundscapes that hum and buzz like a chorale of ghosts, filled with the twisting vocals of Karin Dreijer Andersson. So don't expect an album that in any way resembles Andersson's work with the Knife -- because the only thing they have in common are some catchy beats.

It opens with a low, blurry sound like a steel heartbeat, and Andersson singing in two voices -- one is a high-pitched, Emiliana-Torrini-like voice, and the other is a dark, metallic voice. "If I Had A Heart" is profoundly weird and unsettling, but it also has a hypnotic quality that leaves you desperately wanting to hear more.

The songs that follow are not quite as entrancing, but they are in the same haunted vein -- ghostly pop melodies with meandering vocals, dark bubbling soundscapes, Asian-flavoured electrobeats, ethereal washes of dark ambient music, robotic club songs, and nightmarishly bleak excursions into dark, grimy corners of your mind (there's just something

"Fever Ray" is not the sort of pop music you hear in clubs and malls -- it is weird, twisted, unsettling and sometimes downright sinister. And I think that's what makes it so addictive. Karin Dreijer Andersson's music has a haunting quality from beginning to end, as if you're listening to a band of electronica-loving ghosts.

And her musical skills are no less compelling -- black spiderwebs of danceable electronic beats and delicate, darkling soundscapes that always seem to be going where you would never expect. The music sputters, grinds, soars, twists and bubbles whenever you don't expect it to. And the entire thing seems to be bathed in an eerie, shimmering halo.

And how does Andersson herself sound? Well, imagine if Bjork died and came back as a whacked-out musical angel -- she sings in a high-pitched voice that hardly ever sticks to the song melodies, preferring to wander all over instead. But then she also sings in metallic, deep, almost masculine voices, murmuring about concrete walls, cucumber eyes and beds of spiderwebs.

"Fever Ray" is a resolutely weird, haunting album that sucks you in and refuses to let go of your brain -- it walks the line between dancy electronic and ghostly artiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars What devil is this that hath bewitched me?, 23 Dec. 2010
The first song by Fever Ray I ever heard was, coincidentally, the first song on the album: "If I Had a Heart". It was a kind of music I had never heard before, and I was entranced. The video, which is included on a DVD in this special edition, marries perfectly with the music: eerie tribal masks, an abandoned house filled with dead people, a boat gliding across a foggy pool. Then there's the vocals that seem to echo from a dark hole in a forest of dead trees, achieved through Karin Dreijer Andersson's voice being lowered to a husk, androgynous pitch. Perhaps I seem a little too verbose in my adoration, but normal adjectives such as "good" and "amazing" cannot live up to Fever Ray's shadowy might.

This undercurrent of darkness runs through the entire album, even in songs such as "Seven" and "I'm Not Done" that seem more upbeat, and this is probably due to the lyrics: "I'm Not Done", for example, opens with the words "So, I lost my head a while ago..." The songs either build up to a beautiful bombardment of sound or simply fade into silence. My current favourite on the album has to be "When I Grow Up" (the video of which, on a side note, has over 1 million views on Youtube) because, try as I might, I simply cannot get Karin's witchy, siren voice out of my head. People sometimes compare her music to shamanism or say that it has an almost pagan atmosphere to it; at first I was not so sure, but after a few listens you can't help but feel that there's some kind of magic being worked. This is the kind of music that, unlike a lot of modern stuff, embeds itself into your psyche.

I would try and recommend other artists similar to Fever Ray, but I can honestly say that I still haven't found any other kind of music that sounds remotely as bewitching. You could explore The Knife, the band formed by Karin and her brother before she branched off into Fever Ray, and indeed you can find traces of the album's unique sound in their songs. It's strange to think that the album hasn't received more of the limelight, but its obscurity suits its hushed, secret tone remarkably well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music For Long Dark Nights, 22 July 2009
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
Dark, uncompromising music from one
Karin Elisabeth Dreijer Andersson.

Perhaps it has something to do with all
those long, angst-ridden, Swedish nights.
(Mr Strindberg understood this very
well too a century before her).

She is possessed by a turbulent vision and if you don't mind
a bumpy ride it is well worth making the journey with her.

The album deploys a far richer and more subtle application
of electronica than many of her contemporaries could even
begin to understand. At times the effect is truly magical.

It is a largely slow to mid-tempo collection and sustains
an intense melancholic mood pretty much throughout.

The voice is distinctive. Occasional sonic manipulation adds
to the otherworldly ambience. A ghost in the machine indeed.

The instrumental arrangements are spare and uncluttered and
support the melodic structure of the songs perfectly.

The pulsing motif of opening track 'If I Had A Heart' sets the
stage for much of what follows. A primal bad dream of a song.
A bit like wading through thick mud - unable to wake up.
The sound of your own heart beating in your ears.

Things don't get any easier.

'When I Grow Up' is a marvelously bitter-sweet composition.
The haunting vocal is really unnerving.
A woman wailing among the wolves.

The nervous skittering percussion of 'Concrete Walls' frames
one of the album's strongest and strangest musical ideas.
The disturbing vocal harmonies sound as though they might
be oozing out of a dark hole in the forest floor.
(Fanciful perhaps but you'll get my drift when you hear it -
and you MUST hear it !)

'Keep The Streets Dark For Me' is a remarkably focussed and
desolate piece. Almost unbearable in its raw intensity.

Closing track 'Coconut', despite its whimsical title, offers
little by way of respite. It is an elemental outpouring from
somewhere deep in this extraordinary woman's spirit.

A consumately satisfying and deeply disturbing musical experience.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars you wake me up again, 3 Nov. 2009
N. Schneider - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
no more words - this is an excellent surprising album with a special mood - a little bit spooky - like eno's "mylifeinthebushofghosts" - wonderful fusion of carpenter, anderson, bush - and as an old magician - wonderful to dance - an album an artist does definitely only once in a lifetime -

5.0 out of 5 stars uniqe sound!, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
i love this strange singer for her uniqe sound and lyrics the whole album just blows me away.
first heard her music on the red riding hood sound track and instanly loved Keep the streets empty and the brillant Wolf, that just makes me think of cults and tribes singing and danceing around a fire in celeabration like in the movie. after that encounter i was instanly hooked and havent stoped listening to her since.
admitable her sound and music isnt to everyones taste but i recommend everyone to try it before you judge.
best lyrics ever are definitly from When i grow up
"when i grow up i want to be a forester, run through the moss on high heels"
check out the vidio for this soung also it is strangly hunting watching the girl churing up the water with her dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars There Really Are No Words................, 10 Aug. 2010
Mr. J. Price "mr p" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
Still listening to Fever Ray obsessively after so long. If you enjoyed Silent Shout by The Knife, then I've no doubt you'll connect with this even more. No comparisons do her justice but thinking of Bjork, Portishead & Kate Bush might come close. But not very.
The highlight of the album for me is Triangle Walks which epitomises much of the album - a mixture of her trademark pitch-shifted vocals with her natural voice alongside flawless electronica and acoustic instruments.
If you get the chance to see her live, do. And if you've got a few quid to spare, get the deluxe version which includes a cover of Nick Cave's Stranger Than Kindness.
I am in awe of Karin Dreijer Andersson and she stands head and shoulders above anyone else in her field today. Long may she reign.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and Mysterious, 5 Feb. 2009
Roberto de Oliveira (Guaruja, Sao Paulo - BRAZIL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
This is the debut album from Fever Ray (she's Karin Dreijer Andersson). A great and evocative voice, Karin is in tune and here brings your sound (a style alike The Knife), some more natural, a eletronic world music. She creates a mysthical atmosphere (like Bjork), but some songs keeps the connection to the 80's like the excellent Seven, and still great songs with her normal vocal (no synthetic proccess) Keep Street Empty For Me, Now's The Only Time I Know" and When I Grow Up.
A delicious travel around a mysterious world, that just only Karin knows the roads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandi Charm, 9 Aug. 2014
Andrew Foulds "Melancholic Grizzly" (Nottingham,uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Fever Ray (Audio CD)
This album was recommended to me when I was browsing and the artwork intrigued me so I decided to give it a go. I have not been disappointed . It is definetly different but I love it. I don't know wether it's the avant grade Scandi charm or the dark deep sounds. Some of these tracks were used in the recent film of Red Riding Hood ( which incidentally I enjoyed ) and I thought they really added to the atmosphere. Not an easy listen but I think you will love it forever and if you don't what's wrong with you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fever Ray
Fever Ray by Fever Ray (Audio CD - 2009)