5.0 out of 5 stars A SONIC MASTERPIECE
This ain't be a traditional DJ mix as you know them. More like Richie Hawtin's DE9 series, taken to a further level of perfection.
"The process of making these mixes has been more like painting with sound rather than performing a traditional DJ mix".
Published on 24 Mar 2009 by B. ROBERTO

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to get into
Published on 1 Sep 2009 by Paul Condren

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A SONIC MASTERPIECE, 24 Mar 2009
B. ROBERTO - See all my reviews
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
Here you will find 102 pieces of music/loops/breaks/intros from various artists arranged and glued in 28 tracks over 2 CDs.
Among the artists you will find such different music makers as Minilogue, Heiko Laux, Robert Babicz, Model 500, Cobblestone Jazz, System 7, Derrick May, Emmanuel Top, Silicon Soul, Dubfire, Sascha Funke, Goldie, Quiet Village, Ame, Len Faki, Ricardo Villalobos, Radio Slave, the Aloof, Christian Smith, John Selway, Carl Craig, Flying Lotus, Letfield, Radiohead, Aphex Twin and Richie Hawtin.
This is the DJmix to end all the DJ mixes. A true masterpiece (and still very danceable) for your body, your mind and your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new level, 24 Oct 2009
Jan Davidson - See all my reviews
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
Im aged 32. I became a dance fan around the age of 18 (so the mid 90's popular house / early Ibiza madness) after an early years of metal and normal teenage angst. Then came a (probably) decade of going out, meeting people and a mix-mash of music. Yes there was masters of what I liked - early sasha and digweed in particular, morillo before he became arsey and all that. Then Daft Punk Alive 2007 made something click - I couldn't get enough, it was so good and i had missed it maybe from 5 years ago. But it became, and i hate to type this, boring. Maybe it was over-use. Maybe it was just what it was. I became lost. I was confused and was missing that shivery back feeling. Itunes was rubbish and i became too busy with work to hunt any deeper.
Then I stumbled onto this. Holy oh my God is all I can say. We have the musical god of the noughties. Electronic is back. CD1 is heaven. But CD2 is from a different planet and is life changing. I really mean that. THE soundtrack of life and music. I really doubt this can be bettered.
The man is a legend. The CD rocks.
In awe!

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word . . ., 9 April 2009
GR "GR" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
. . . phenomenal. Both CD's are a sublime blend of electro music consisting of many genres and micro genres within. Any one familiar with this type of project may be interested to know a difference between Voorn and say, Ritchie Hawtin is that Voorn leaves enough of each track so the listener can more easily distinguish individual tracks and sounds, providing a rounder and more musical feel to proceedings. CD 2 is worthy of particularl note and is quite simply one of the finest electro compilations around. This compiltion is a heavy weight contender to become a classic - only time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh YES!!!!, 10 May 2009
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
What a piece of work this mix is!... These days you can beleive anyone could mix a cd because of all the computers etc that seem to do all the work for them, yet Joris as taken the art of mixing to a complete new level. Over 100 tracks layerd and mixed seemlessly on 2 cd's... The man is a pure genius to be able to pull this off to such an astonishing level, not once does this get messy and lose its way as could be expected. The mix will BE an all time great at the side of such mixes as the northern exposure's yet with more complexicity thats how highly i rate this cd. Just wait untill section 6 kicks in on the first cd (worth the buy for this alone!)... My only gripe is that this being my first Joris Voorn mix i now feel compelled to buy his others but feel i could be let down as nothing could live up to the level this mix has created. Smooth,complicated electronic trance that's created to such a level its very easy on the mind! BUY BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing..., 19 Feb 2010
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
Having now owned this for quite some time I still constantly find myself wanting to hear it again and again and again. When going through my CD's deciding what to put on it's sometimes a case of what do I want to listen to other than Joris Voorn AGAIN. More often than not I'm picking this up and putting it on.... again.

I must admit I do tend to choose CD 2 more over CD 1 but that's a simple preference rather than anything to do with the quality. You'll read plenty of reviews on here extolling the virtues of CD 1 and I wouldn't argue with any of them. If you buy this you'll develop your own particular preference.

For me the progression of tracks on CD 2 flows better and has more 'character' - the so called journey, that critics and reviewers often go on about, seems to me to be more evident.

I shan't spoil any surprises for you, I do urge you though to obtain this and play it very loudly on a high quality sound system. It's almost beyond the realms of possibility that you'd be disappointed. Finally, all I can say is that Joris Voorn is rapidly developing a following of life long fans, you should join....

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you believe in, well, music and everything else around it, 22 Dec 2009
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
This exquisitely crafted set of tracks hits you everywhere. Whereas your typical Sasha of old would warm your soul, Lawler would race your heart to euphoria, and Heidi would make you smile...alot, Voorn just simply does everything together and then more. Every track has a story, and beautifully morphs into the next. I cannot fault this masterpiece.

I don't care if this is not the future of dance music. All I care is that I found it and I love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rarely if ever inspired....BUT...., 19 Mar 2010
Wadster "Sparkygator" (Bletchley, Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
...this is such a superb mix that I have to take 5 minutes. I have a big music collection and this is one of my top top CD's of the moment. I am in fact listening to it now as I pen this. It just makes me want to dance and I find myself nodding along when I am commuting to work on the train. I can't help it!! Really anyone who appreciates this type of music should have this CD in their collection. Please bring out another Mr Voorn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master class!, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
Quite simply the best mix cd money can buy. Musically it may not be to everyone's taste, personally I love it, but this is a real lesson in what can be achieved using modern dj techniques and technology. This should be required listening for anyone that has even a passing interest in electronic music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just WOW!, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
I turned 50 this year. Yeah, go on mock! It will come to you at some point.
I'm a fan of all genres, although not Country & Western or Grand Opera and I very rarely feel the need to write a review, but this album blew me away! I wouldn't say it's life-changing but I keep it on my iPod thingy and keep coming back to it for the feel good factor. The tracks that have been selected for this album are brilliant and follow a natural progression throughout. It's a wonderful journey that I never seem to get tired of. Funky, Techy, soulful are all words I would choose to describe it. I sometimes feel a little sad for the actual artists who have contributed to this album and receive little credit. That said, it's a beautifully mixed and crafted work by Mr. Voorn.
Just buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to get into, 1 Sep 2009
Paul Condren (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN (Audio CD)
Dont get me wrong, there are moments of pure genius on this album, the main highligh being trak 6 on the first CD. However, somehow for me, the album as a whole seems disjointed. Ive listened to it a few times in the car on on the mp3 player and find it just dosent gel. One moment its hands in the air euphoric electro dance, then suddenly your on the ground again hanging for quite a while till the next good bit. I think I could and will edit the while thing to just once CD's worth of playlist to keep with me, as theres a lot of stuff thats just padding to me. I guess the bottom line is that this is not a dance mix, like a global underground release. Its more of an artists own album, hence the change of style & pace from track to track.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN
BALANCE 014: MIXED BY JORIS VOORN by Joris Voorn (Audio CD - 2009)