5.0 out of 5 stars Big booster
I purchased this drive to replace the 160GB in my HP laptop.
I have never had a problem with any Seagate drive laptop or desktop, this is no exception, take old drive out and put this one in and no problems.
Published on 11 Oct 2010 by Mr. Peter T. Buxton

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it new or refurbished?
Published 8 months ago by Gregory R. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Big booster, 11 Oct 2010
I purchased this drive to replace the 160GB in my HP laptop.
The larger capacity was the main reason for buying but i also bought it because it had the faster spindle speed to 7200rpm (as opposed to 5400rpm makes windows run a bit faster) i did wonder if it would make the laptop too hot but i have not noticed any significant temperature increase which is good!
Highly recommended to give a boost to your older laptop.

4.0 out of 5 stars *Nearly* a 5-star product, 12 Jan 2011
I got this drive to replace the 160GB drive in my macbook pro. Backup and installation were all fine. The drive fit in perfectly, screws tightened without any 'nastiness', laptop started up without any glitches.

Performance is noticeably better. Program access times are faster and sites on my localhost seem to be pulled up quicker.

The only downside is this drive is definitely noisier than the original Hitachi one that came in the laptop. The original one was completely silent, whereas this one is merely quiet. More noise suggests less efficiency, which could mean less battery time (although I haven't tested this). It could also be due to the fact that this is 7200rpm versus the original, which was 5400rpm.

It's not a huge deal, but some people may notice the difference in noise more than others. Overall, and for the price, this seems to be a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good upgrade., 1 Jan 2013
This review is from: Seagate - Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS - Hard drive - 500 GB - internal - 2.5'' - SATA-300 - 7200 rpm - buffer: 16 MB (Personal Computers)
This drive has had use in an external firewire enclosure and now resides in the Slim PS3. I have noticed several performance improvements over the standard 5400rpm HDD that was included with the PS3. The responsiveness of the Xross Media Bar when in games shows a notable bump in performance, making for a much better user experience when responding to messages and general navigation of features. Another improvement is in the texture streaming. Prior to the upgrade, I would often experience issues in the textures being incorrectly loaded at the start of a round in Battlefield 3 and the issue would remain until the next round started. However, since upgrading to this hard drive, the same issue has never re-surfaced. Installs of game data also benefit from a speed increase. The massive GT5 data install previously took approximately 50 minutes. This time was cut down to around 35 minutes. Still longer than anybody would like, but an improvement nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, 18 Feb 2011
as i needed a new hard drive for my laptop due to running out of space i chose this one as not only for the space but because it is faster than normal laptop hard-drives

so i restored my copy of windows 7 onto the hard drive and everything is the same it was and is working excellent.

PROS
speed has definitely increased during startup and tasks feel allot smoother.
battery life is the same as before

CONS
not really a negative thing but you may feel more vibration when using it inside a laptop, but it is hardly noticable unless your in a very quiet room

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT DRIVE, 20 Jun 2010
I Bought this drive about 4 weeks ago and I'm glad I did. I had heard other reviews complaining of a buzz type noise when accessing it. I also had this happening to me at first when using it as a slave drive. After making it master and partitioning into 3, I have it dual booting with Vista and Windows 7. No accessing noises have been heard since. It is fast and quiet and makes my computer much more responsive. I can only go by my own experiences and they are possitive as far as this product is concerned. No complaints at all, in fact I would, and may buy another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 9 Jun 2010
K. Goninan - See all my reviews
I am no IT boffin by any means and purchased this replacement hard drive to be fitted by my techno friend. My laptop is now very much faster than before with a boot up time of about 35 seconds and a power off time of about 12 seconds. Online video (YouTube) can be viewed quickly without annoying buffering interupting the playback. All other operations are now very fast and am told that it is due to the 16mb buffering of this device. I am very happy with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed after a few months, 7 April 2014
Hard drive failed without warning after just a few months - exactly the same as my previous Seagate Momentus. Avoid.

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it new or refurbished?, 23 Jan 2014
Gregory R. Smith (UK) - See all my reviews
I'm a little worried about this HD. I bought this 7,200 rpm as in the past I've found they boot faster than 5,400 rpm drives. This drive boots SLOWER! I'm also disturbed by the label that states "If removed guarantee voided" The label covers the drive specification!!!! and does not have makers name or logo on it. I can't believe this label was applied by the maker. It could have been applied elsewhere or been a see through label

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quiet Fast Drive, 19 Dec 2013
This was purchased to replace a similar drive in my Dell laptop, more space was required and this seemed a good choice.
It came in excellent packaging and fitted quickly (as you would expect) to the laptop. It is quiet in operation and as fast as the old one, they are both 7200 rpm disks. Too early to say about reliability, but I have another Seagate which is a few years old and has proved to be a fast and quiet drive. I purchased a cheap enclosure for the old drive and it's working as backup for critical files.
I would buy again, it's good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what i needed, 6 Dec 2013
Ordered to replace my PS3 40GB hard drive, couldn't be happier with this product. It's faster and more responsive than my old one and cheap enough to boot.

5/5