5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Easy for a HDD Upgrade on the PS3
First of all Amazon provided a competitive price and prompt delivery for this Hard Drive.
After reading a number sites regarding this Hard Drive upgrade for the PS3 and watching nurmerous video's on Youtube, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my 40gb HD on my PS3.
I only wanted to perform one upgrade so I decided on the Seagate 500gb Momentus HD.
The...
Published on 6 Oct. 2009 by J. Atherton

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of Amazons return policy with hard drives
I have used Seagate hard drives for years and wanted to replace a Seagate 100GB in a Mac Book Pro with this one.

As can happen with hard drives, the new one failed early on - 35 days after it had been purchased!

This is not a complaint about Seagate drives - in my experience hard drives either fail early on or last for years...
Published on 10 Nov. 2009 by ChrisMcD3

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Be careful of Amazons return policy with hard drives, 10 Nov. 2009

Unfortunately, Amazon appear to have an unusual view of the returns aspects of the Sale of Goods Act - after 30 days it is the manufacturers fault.

Happily Seagate have a superb returns and recovery system and I was up and running again within a week.

So, if your hard drive fails early, I can heartily recommend Seagate's no nonsense returns policy. I have used them for years and will continue to do so!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Playstation 3 Upgrade, 18 Oct. 2010
There are many excellent reviews already on this page, and I found the content here very helpful. After checking many forums and review sites, I like many others came to the same conclusion. The Seagate Momentus in 500GB is the ideal upgrade for a Playstation 3 (80GB FAT PS3). It was simple to install (there are some great video guides on how to do this on youtube) less than 10 minutes (+ ps3 restore time). I needed the following,

- Hard Drive with a 32GB partition formatted in 32GB - for backup of PS3 save files and some downloaded content (all downloaded content can be retrieved after install on Playstation Store anyway) used the backup facility on PS3 to complete this prior to Seagate arrival.
- The latest Playstation update (3.5 or later) on a thumb drive (4GB was sufficient, has to be stored in a folder called UPGRADE inside a folder called PS3) - my install required this.
- A USB caddy for the old PS3 drive - I use this as a backup drive.
- New Philips PH1 screwdriver - I bought one but the screw holding the drive was easy to remove. Maybe they put better screws on the newer models. A lot of people have mentioned on the forums that this screw is hard to remove so I bought one...lol..the power of reviews, scary.

This was a simple, and has proven to be a great upgrade. Throughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff. PS3, 25 Aug. 2009
I have a 60 gig ps3 and it quickly got full, as each game played created a large file. Games such as oblivion and fallout create data files of about 5 gig. I decided to get a replacement drive, 500gb drive (465 actual capacity due to conversions from bytes to gigabytes).
I was unsure whether to go for Seagate or Western Digital, both are reputable and reliable hard drive manufactures, and specification there are very similar (noise, vibration etc) so a coin toss would suffice in deciding between them. I based my decision on pretty much the fact that it was slightly cheaper then WD hard drive and carries a 5 year warranty rather then Western Digital 3 year. Also the fact that most models of the PS3 use Seagate hard drives.

There has been mixed responses of how easy people found it to replace the hard drive. I personally didn't find it easy at all. The principle of doing it is straightforward. But on accessing the hard drive compartment your met with brutally tight screws. The screws are so tight that it is extremely easy to round the screw heads off, the frustration is immense (it seems that the screws are made from a slightly more rigid form of bluetac). A tip is to initially buy a screwdriver with a large handle (approx size phillips head no.0) if the unforgiving screws still don't want to release the hard drive you can do what i was forced to do. Carefully get pair of pliers tightly grip and twist the screw (lefty loosy, righty tighty :O) until you hear a quite loud crack (don't worry its not the hard drive) which signifies the screws releasing the hard drive. Once the new hard drive is slid into the compartment put the screws back in, it is not necessary to have them tight, just need them to effectively secure the hard drive and prevent it moving.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty little product!, 3 Sept. 2009
Amazon Customer (Dereham, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Upgrading from my old 80Gb, I initially put the new hdd in an external case & found it only showed up as "usb composite device" or something similar, but later found it was not the fault of the case, but the fact the new drive wasn't formatted. Once I swapped them round & ran the disc-cloning program, it worked very well. The disc-cloning program was not very easy to find, I might add - WD's data lifeguard came up in search engines & led me straight to the correct links, but for a Seagate drive the discwizard wasn't forthcoming! I eventually found it though & it worked a charm, once the new drive was installed internally in the computer.

Now it's running, I'm very pleased with the result! The DiscWizard let me re-size the hdd partitions for the new drive, rather than just blowing them up in size proportionate to the old one. If you get this to replace your old drive, get the discwizard downloaded ready - it fits on one cdr & works well, so no need to worry about extracting all your data.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seagate momentus Hard Drive 500GB, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA 2.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM, 5400RPM 8MB Cache, Sony Playstation PS3 Compatible (Electronics)
this product was perfect for the purpose i needed it. i was using it to upgrade my PlayStation 3 from an 80GB to a 500GB the process was quick and easy and this product was completly compatable. one thing you may need know if you are new to tech products it that you do not get get 500GB exactly i got 478GB the rest were used for format purposes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a dream for my PS3, 10 Jun. 2010
I was a little apprehensive to buy this hard drive as I'd really looked at every potential upgrade for my PS3 40GB hard drive with a fine-tooth comb.

The majority of these reviews mentioned successful gaming experiences, but the only one to mention PlayTV was a negative one saying it didn't work. I finally decided to take a chance and am happy to say the gamble paid off. I have been using it for a good month now and can report zero issues with recording from PlayTV, game saves, and gaming while recording.

A well-worthy product for anyone looking to upgrade their PS3 hard drive. Bearing in mind that Seagate hard drives are in the original 60GB and 40GB PS3s it's up to the task.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well - but not 'Plug & Paly", 30 Jan. 2011
A good drive that was bought to up-grade my sons 80Gb PS3 (Fat model). It doesn't seem to have the issue of judder or slow response that some people describe.

The installation wasn't exactly plug and play; in the end it took 7 hours. The main reason for this was you need to back-up the old drive onto another memory device ~~ which needs to be formatted to "FAT" ~~ if you don't have a large external HD or you don't know what "FAT" is - don't start until you do. You also need to down load the latest PS3 firmware to a USB stick from the PSN site.

If you do know what I'm talking about - great, buy this HDD and paly away, we are very pleased with the end result.

5.0 out of 5 stars 500gb bliss, 31 Oct. 2010
i originally had the 80gb ps3 and thought that was big, but the more games i owned that just disappeared quick, i was constantly removing music,videos,photos and game installs. then i heard you could upgrade ps3's. always one for a challenge i thought id do it myself and boy am i glad i did, the drive is quite fast and with no problems at all, im constantly downloading from the ps network and still have ample space that i cant see myself filling for a long while. i found amazon sold this drive the cheapest and the service was excellent. if you are a serious hardcore ps3 gamer this drive is a must need i say more, a very happy customer!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice., 9 April 2013
Chose 4 because I'm not sure what else a hard drive is supposed to do except for be a hard drive. I bought it to upgrade our PS3 12G. If you are doing the same, you will also need to get the caddy which holds it in place. Incidentally, if you are upgrading your PS3 12G, it is as simple as slotting the new HD into the side - almost like putting a cd into the drive.

3.0 out of 5 stars Noise Box, 11 Nov. 2011
An average drive at an average price. Also, with an average speed.

But boy, this thing is loud. If you own a silent laptop don't even think about buying it. Vibrations will shake your roof down and the hissing will eat your cats. Literally.

Okay, it's not that bad, I won't get rid of it, can stay. But would've never bought it if I knew it's this loud.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›