4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful set!
Ton Koopman has recorded Bach organ music for a number of labels including Novalis, DG, Hanssler, and Teldec (complete). The first issues of this Teldec series are now out of print.

Published on 6 Jun 2010 by P. Greenstein

1.0 out of 5 stars A mess!
Published on 27 July 2011 by Mr. J. S. Stallick

4.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful set!, 6 Jun 2010
P. Greenstein (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete (Audio CD)

The prices people are asking for used copies are pretty high but fortunately Teldec have reissued the entire set at a very reasonable price. I recommend people acquire this set sooner rather than later, before sellers put "collecter's" prices on it.

Koopman started but never finished a series in the '80's for the Novalis label. I think these must be the ones offered very cheaply on the Brilliant label. I have only one of those, Vol 2 that I bought on Ebay for $.01! That Novalis set may not be quite as well recorded as these Teldec issues and though the notes are quite good, the Teldec series has essays by the outstanding Bach scholar, Christoph Wolff.

Recorded in different locations in Germany, Austria and The Netherlands, Koopman uses authentic instruments (unlike Peter Hurford) and with ideal microphone placement (except possibly in the Trio Sonatas). These are beautiful sounding recordings. The deep bass response in this set is the best I've heard in all my Bach organ CD's.

Koopman always raised a few eyebrows with his ideas about added ornamentation. Some might call it improvisation! This did not bother me in the slightest. The playing is at times quite exciting, virtoustic and dramatic so the recordings are never dull. Exception: possibly at times in the Trio Sonatas.

In addition, these performances do not disdain what one might call the "Gothic" atmosphere in Bach.

The documentation is very fine with a brief article on the music, a history of each organ usually with pictures, and sometimes an additional essay on the music by Koopman with each disc.

Possibly even better were Wolfgang Rubsam's series for Philips (sorry, also out of print!), far better than his eccentric recordings done later for Naxos. However, I think Rubsam's used only two non-period instruments wheareas with Koopman we get a little European travelogue of organs from Bach's time!

5.0 out of 5 stars PLEASE GIVE THIS SET A CHANCE. IT REALLY IS A "TREASURE"!, 20 Feb 2012
This review is from: Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete (Audio CD)
Please do not turn away from this box set if you've read any negative review.
This is an incredible set of Bach's organ works by an outstanding and
very experienced organist, who is also a very fine conductor of symphony
orchestras as well. The cd's in this set are all reissues of original
recordings done in individual volumes between 1995-99. They have been
out of print for many years now, and are now worth much individually.
The Teldec/Warner label has now brought them all back to life in this
wonderfully complete reissued set by Ton Koopman. I've had the originals
vol.1 and vol.2 cd's of the old first issues for many years now. And I was
truly in awe by T. Koopman's performances the very first time I had heard
them years ago. And I do in fact get goosebumps every time I hear them to this
day! There are also a lot of remarkably beautiful sung choral works in vol. 2.
I've never had the rest of T.K.'s recorded volumes in this series of his
complete Bach organ works from Teldec....until now! And I must say that the
rest of his recordings in this set are just phenomenal! I have been a great
lover of organ music most of my life, and especially of J.S. Bach. I have
heard many performers, and many variations of great organ works. Every organist
is different with their own approach to music. Mr. Koopman is among my very favorites,
he truly shines, and he definitely knows his stuff. And also, the organs T.K. uses here
in this series are very resounding and (as one reviewer already noted) atmospheric.
I am so very happy with this boxed set. I think that this is without a doubt, one
of the best investments I have ever made! I can not praise it enough. It is a real
dream come true for me to finally have this set...and fully complete too! In my own
opinion, this is THE one Bach organ works set to own, if you have none at all! There are
quite a few other fine J.S. Bach organ works sets out there as well, by some very
excellent performers. Each organist has their own unique (and yes, "great") individual
talents and abilities. I strive to look for only the best in them all...including Ton
Koopman. So please, take a chance...and give Ton Koopman a chance! Consider your
having this fine set before it may be discontinued for good...which so often happens with
things as fine as this! Don't let someone's negative review influence your decision...
...Grab this set while you still can! It is a treat for the ears, and unquestionably a
real treasure! And it is well worth the money!

I hope this review has been of help.

Blessings

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 23 Dec 2011
This review is from: Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete (Audio CD)
This is an excellent set of recordings. He does indeed play the organs like harpsichords, and the acoustics are very atmospheric.

1.0 out of 5 stars A mess!, 27 July 2011
Mr. J. S. Stallick (Brighton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete (Audio CD)
I was really looking forwards to receiving my complete Bach organ works box set with Ton Koopman. I listened to a few pieces but... what a mess! There is no clear audio definition. Harmonies and counterpoint sound all jumbled up with no proper articulation. Bass lines are rushed and all in all to my ears (I am used to the clean lines of E Power Biggs it is true) it sounds like a bit of a road accident! Whose idea was it for instance to record the Trio Sonatas, which are intimate pieces, from what sounds like the back of the church (or even the vestry!)?? I don't know whether the problem is the recording or the choice of registrations but I'm afraid I won't be listening to these again. For those that want crystal clear and inspirational recordings try E Power Biggs.

Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete
Bach, Js : Organ Works - Complete by Johann Sebastian Bach (Audio CD - 2009)