on 2 March 2009
this album is one of the finest rock albums in recent years
this band is pretty much unknown in the u.k and that is a massive shame
my main problem with the uk release of this album is the fact that they have taken off second chance, the best power ballad i have heard for a long time.
so if you like nickelback and seether, this band are an essential buy
on 3 August 2009
I waited until this version of the CD was released before I decided to purchase it. I had listened to the album over & over on the band's official site & also at a friend's place (who introduced me to this band) though he had the UK special edition with bonus tracks, though no 'Second Chance' which I had fallen in love with via the radio!

I've heard the first two albums which are also very good, though less polished & produced as this, yet have a lot of quality & perhaps lays the roots to this latest works. I saw Shinedown at Download 2009 & though the set was short they were truly amazing & left me craving more!... I believe this band is going places!

I cannot praise this band and more precisely this album, more highly. It has that rare quality of being consistantly good right the way through as every single track has it's merits. Ranging from the butt-kicking 'Sound of Madness' (title track), 'Devour', 'Cry For Help' & 'Cyanide Sweet Tooth Suicide' to the touchingly beautiful & melodic 'The Crow & The Buttefly' & not forgetting the biopic 'What A Shame' and the classic power-ballard 'Breaking Inside' which is unbelievabley heartfelt & left me feeling there was someone out there who understood the pain of personal loss & surviving it -this album is diverse on many levels. 'Second Chance' is as touching & personal to me as it is just a damn good piece of modern pop-rock! It is bitter & anguished and at other times conveys a reflective, tender & melancholic quality.

Strong lyrics, powerful (yet harmonic) vocals & riff-laden -Engrossing in the extreme 'The Sound of Madness' is a modern masterpiece (I do not use such a term often). If you love classic or hard rock, metal, grunge, punk, folk or even pop then 'The Sound Of Madness' may be for you as it transgresses several genres with a contemporary slant & left me feeling I'd been through a deep & emotional musical journey. I had to listen to it again straight away!...
on 15 June 2009
Having heard Shinedown on Rock Radio - decided to buy it to see if the rest of the albums matches up to the single. Was pleasantly surprised and really liked their meaty rock sound. Tuneful melodies and good lyrics mixed with a rounded voice is turning this album into a new favourite.
on 8 July 2008
Anyone already familiar with Shinedown will realise the talent lead singer Brent Smith has, and he uses it to the full degree in this stunning album.

They say they wanted it to be harder and their previous albums, but that hasn't affected the creativity and quality of the band. They haven't strayed too far from what made them great in their first two albums, they still have that spine of Shinedown, but there's an extra edge which appears from a quicker tempo and heavy rhythem, brilliantly constructed around non-typical and inventive lyrics.

From the truely upbeat Devour and Cry For Help, to the more progressive What A Shame and Breaking Inside, this is as complete an album as I've ever heard. I've recommended several friends to Shinedown, and every single one has liked them. They need to seriosuly look at the UK as there's a serious market for them!

Awesome!
on 24 April 2014
After hearing a few SHINEDOWN songs on the radio i thought it was time to buy an album, i knew 'Sound of madness' so that's why i chose this album. It is seriously good and i am now very much a SHINEDOWN fan and will be buying the other albums very soon. I have recently discovered that there is a special edition of this album which has about 5 bonus songs and is well worth the extra pennies. 5 stars because it is the kind of album you can play over and over (great driving music!!). ENJOY!!
on 18 June 2013
I discovered Shinedown through a couple of YouTube videos, bought this album on the back of those and have become a big fan. I always like to do track-by-track reviews for CDs, so here goes:

1. DEVOUR
The opener is actually a bit of a disappointment for me. Lyrically rather poor and the odd mix of metal-style verses with classic rock chorus doesn't sit very well for me. 5/10

2. THE SOUND OF MADNESS
The title track is epic and one of the standout moments of the album. Pure metal, slow, thumping, head-banging enjoyment.10/10

3. SECOND CHANCE
A complete contrast to the previous track, Second Chance showcases Shinedown's rock ballad talents to great effect, telling the story of a teenage girl leaving home to make her way in the world. Tinged with sadness yet also incredibly uplifting. 10/10.

4. CRY FOR HELP
The title is somewhat deceptive as this is another manic, metallic frenetic head-banger of a track. Some brilliant lyrics help to make this another album highlight. 10/10

5. THE CROW AND THE BUTTERFLY
A return to rock ballad territory but the quality remains high. Quiet, wistful verses build into powerful choruses and some beautiful abstract lyrics give it a great warm summery feel. 10/10

6. IF YOU ONLY KNEW
Unfortunately the quality begins to dip at this point. Another ballad with some rather manufactured-sounding lyrics that you could imagine being sung by a boy-band. Fortunately the band's musicianship and Brent Smith's amazing voice raise this above mediocrity...although not by much. 6/10

7. SIN WITH A GRIN
A rather abrasive punk/metal track which grates on the ear, thanks to the harsh guitars and Brent's over-wrought vocals. Some interesting lyrics keep it listenable though. 6/10.

8. WHAT A SHAME
Another gem that I like to call "the greatest song Johnny Cash never sang". A dark, bleak yet beautiful and amazing track that would have suited The Man In Black down to the ground. I like it so much I learned to play it! 10/10

9. CYANIDE SWEET TOOTH SUICIDE
Similar in style to Sin With A Grin, this is another punk/metal track though easier on the ear and with lyrics you could imagine being written by Motley Crue. 7/10

10. BREAKING INSIDE
The final jewel in this particular crown is another power ballad of epic proportions, topped off with some nice guitar flourishes. Follows the usual "quiet verse / big chorus" formula, but does it oh so well. 10/10

11. CALL ME
The album closes with this piano ballad, not unsurprisingly about a relationship breaking up. I'm not normally one for this type of song, but the lyrics and music work together to create an undeniably great song. 8/10
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2013
I adore Shinedown,they have a really distinctive style. With one track you think you're listening to Planet Rock, then the next takes you to Radio 2. The crow and the butterfly is by far my favourite but the whole album is great.
on 29 November 2013
With pumping Rock tracks, Methodical ballads you can`t go far wrong with this band.

A talanted group of muscians that deserve a moment of your time to hear the journey their music will take you on.
on 17 May 2009
A fantastic album without a single bad track. Fans of Alterbridge and Godsmack will thoroughly enjoy this album. This album is currently tying as my album purchase of the year.
on 19 February 2014
First put onto Shinedown by my son, played it once and dismissed as hammy US rock.

Happened to pick it up a few weeks later and I'm glad I did as it's brilliant.

Infectious and engaging I'd defy anyone not to let the songs get under your skin.
Brent Smiths diction is perfect for the big anthem songs that appear to be their trademark.

Get this album and if you like rock you will not be disappointed.

Other albums.
Amaryllis = brilliant.
Us and Them. Not quite up to the same high level but still a very good album nonetheless.