on 7 April 2012
This is a very stiff cable mainly as a result of a rigid clear plastic coating surrounding the inner cable. The result is that an unnecessary about of pressure is put on the connectors at either end making it difficult to actually keep the connector in the sockets, especially if one or your eSATA sockets is positioned in the opposite orientation to the other. It comes tightly coiled and after trying to straighten out the cable to take some of the pressure off, the cable stopped working presumably due to the the inner part of the cable shearing it's connection with the connector (you can actually rotate the connector on the cable - never a good sign). To prevent damage to your eSATA sockets and avoid disconnections during critical data transfer, I would avoid this cable and look instead for something more flexible with connectors moulded to the cable to prevent rotation.
on 22 February 2013
Just could not get this to work and went through 2 eSATA cards trying, only to discover the lead was the problem. Checked continuity which was fine so only thing left is the shielding.

If these will work or not may well depend on where and how they're used - any interference and it's dead. Having bought two similar leads from different sellers, with exactly the same problem, I can only assume there is a significant batch problem.

Avoid!
on 3 August 2012
Cable arrived faulty; the thick clear outer coating had pulled out from the connector just from being coiled up in the packaging. This exposed the 'braid' which is a very cheap plastic woven strand. It is not a moulded cable and even if delivered in working order I would seriously question the cables longevity.

This product looks good on paper but in practice it's just not fit for purpose and if any degree of product testing had been carried out, then it would have been redesigned using different materials.

Item returned and awaiting a refund (another story).
on 1 May 2015
This cable allowed me to attach a fifth drive to my micro-server. It works perfectly.

The cable seems strong and well made, and is quite pleasant to look at. It has eSATA i-type connectors at both ends, so fits the IT-CEO caddy as well as the server.

My came quickly and cheaply from Rhino cables.
on 21 March 2010
I am very pleased with this cable. It seems well made and comes complete with covers to go over the plugs when not in use so you don't damage the pins.

I backed up 98 gigs of itunes to a hard drive in 18 minutes (takes over 2 hours with a USB 2 lead).

If your in the market for an esata lead, you could do a lot worse than this.
on 13 December 2014
Use a potato and string for a more durable solution.
I bought two of these cables for a storage project that I've been working on, both snapped due to the force from the outer plastic.

eSata sucks and this cable makes it double suck.

Avoid if you like cables that actually transfer data
on 10 March 2014
The length is reasonable for on-desk support without having to be too close, and most importantly the cabling is round and thick but has no problem bending or being coiled. Just don't expect tight coiling!

The price is right (£3.49) and even comes with free postage and packing (my order arrived within 2 days too).

Does what it says on the tin as they say and good value will probably buy another (longer version) some time in the future
on 4 August 2011
Got this cable recently and i got to say it's excellent! The feel of the cable is great also, not as stiff as some of the others, 1.5m is much better than the standard 1m and it comes with protective end caps which i suppose comes in handy if youre not using it!

Worked as soon as i plugged in and so far no problems.
on 29 April 2014
Don't know what else to say. I'm not witty enough for "space-time" wormhole reviews on Amazon, nor am I clever enough to mention the three wolves, but what I can say is that if I needed another one of these bad boys, I'd certainly buy this one again.
on 26 December 2013
I made it work OK, but the cable is very floppy the sockets on external HD and Laptop (combined USB and eSATA PC socket. Maybe they are all like this?

ONLY reason I bought it and the USB 2.0 external drive case and electronics was interest , the Laptop is USB 2.0 and I had an 3.5" HD to use whose electronics had failed. If the two ends are USB 3.0 why bother with eSATA?

BTW My other computer is a Mac that has Time Machine and a USB 2.0 2.5" USB powered 500GB HD hanging of its USB port that just backs it up from the OS and I never have to deal with all the driver BS with that. Still no easy to use image creating software in Windows OS. Why? PCs are really for the old world of semi autistic "multi vendor bag 'o bits loosely integrated by Microsoft" dominated computing, not for Saint Steve's "the rest of us"........ [...]

My only reason for having a PC is that I am technical enough to deal with the complexity and they are cheaper, so I don't need to pay the Jobs' premium for everything, just my main machine I produce output on, which will never be a PC for the reasons above, and because it saves so much valuable time and my work is secured. One just works as expected, the other is unlikely to, each time its used.