5.0 out of 5 stars AT LAST! FANTASTIC!
Having seen this series as a child ,ive
throughout my life wanted to know how it ended up.
finally after 39 years i can do it,its been a 'manhunt'
of a journey to get to this point,but you really feel like youve
done the trip with Nina,Jimmy and Vincent!(3 main characters)

This series is excellent having watched the 1st 13 Episodes...
Published on 25 May 2009 by spike

1.0 out of 5 stars An honest, but failed effort
This was a most promising scenario - all the ingredients were present to make a wonderful story, but the execution was more than disappointing. The script was wooden; the lines the actors were given to say were rhetorical with a minimum of interaction and engagement. The chap who played the escaped pilot was a major irritation - it was difficult not to wish that the...
Published on 10 Dec 2011 by Polyblot

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I found this incredibly disappointing especially compared to dramas like Secret Army, Wish me luck and Enemy at the door. The acting was very wooden and even quite amateur in parts. Jimmy was intensley aggravating and I began to wish that he would be caught and shot !! On the occasional scenes where they were outside it looked as though they were running round Richmond park, most of the action!! takes place in a stage set and in a number of instances the wooden stairs and handrails actually move!! I wouldn't waste your money on this when there are so many brilliant other WW11 dramas to watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocking., 24 Aug 2014
Bobby Smith (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I bought this as I loved Secret Army and the more modern Czas Honoru Days Of Honor Seasons 1-6 [24 DVD]. Naively I purchased this thinking it might be along the same lines. Oh dear, what a disappointment. I am afraid I could only manage 5 episodes of this before giving up. The reason? The quite terrible acting by the French lead woman, who performed as if she had been on the gin all day. How on earth was she ever employed as an actress? If someone knows please pass comment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Waited Ages For This Set - About Time!!!!, 18 Feb 2010
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I am an avid collector of WWII films, dramas, & doccumentaries. Thank's to the age of the DVD, quite a lot of old productions are being reintroduced for the first time and this includes the second series of Manhunt.
I was going to buy Series One, but thought I will wait until Series Two comes out, then buy both at the same time. That was quite a few years ago and Series One became harder to get as stocks became depleted. But I kept hoping that eventually, both Series would be produced again as a set. Now at long last, Manhunt is available as a complete set. I did see a copy a few moths ago of Series One, which was from an Amazon Trader and he was asking £55 for it, which I thought was a bit over the top for just the first series. Thank God I waited, because I have now got the full series for much less.

This was ITV's alternative to the BBC's Secret Army (Three Series) which ran longer than Manhunt and had a sequel about Kessler, which ran for two long episodes. Some have said that Manhunt is not as good as Secret Army, but personally although slightly different from one another, Manhunt is equally as good. I was twenty seven years old when Manhunt was first shown on Television and I remember eagerly waiting for each episode to start every week as I did with Secret Army.
The beauty of having the whole series on DVD, is that you can sit and watch as many episodes as you like in one session, for a decent nights viewing, when there is nothing else worth watching, which is usally the case these days. They don't make classic drama's like this any more.

Although not Robert Hardy's best performance, none the less he does fit the part well and as for Peter Barkworth, he fits the role of Vincent to the tee. Alfred Lynch takes the role of Jimmy and he really fits in to this character, but I'm afraid that Cyd Hayman's role as Nina is a bit lacking in parts. The story line is very good, often swinging both ways and has quite a number of unforeseen twists that keep you wondering what will happen next. Truely a very good drama of the French Resistance and well worth watching from beginning to end. If you have never watched any of these sort of drama's from the seventies/eighties television, there are quite a number worth collecting. Secret Army (Series 1,2,& 3) Kessler (Parts 1& 2, Spin off to Secret Army). Enemy At The Door (Series 1 & 2) about the occupation of the Channel Islands. Wish Me Luck (Series 1 & 2) another Resistance Drama set in France. Island At War, again based on the German occupation of the Channel Islands. And if you really want a long one, try Family At War, which follows the life of a Liverpool Family all through the war. Family at War is not on the same par as Secret Army or Manhunt and it can be a bit drawn out and boring in some episodes, including one that was done in Black & White due to a technicians strike at the BBC, preventing it from going on air in colour. Another good Series, with a completely different theme, set during the war, is Foyles War, about a detective based in Hastings. Each episode is a separate story. And finally, Danger UXB, a series about the Unexploded Bomb Squad set up during WWII.

3.0 out of 5 stars I did recall the leading actress not being very good but I would not put it that kindly now, 6 Aug 2014
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I remembered this as being an exciting weekly treat when it was on television around 40 years ago and was really looking forward to seeing it again, unfortunately time has not been kind to it. I did recall the leading actress not being very good but I would not put it that kindly now. Robert Hardy just about saves it from an acting point of view. Still better than a lot of the rubbish we get now.

5.0 out of 5 stars An unexpected find!, 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I finished watching `Manhunt' last night. I can't remember it from when it was originally aired but I have always admired Peter Barkworth so wanted to see a performance by him that I was not familiar with. It would be a little cruel to say I felt it might have been called `Plothunt' in the early stages because the writers seemed to take a while to find their way in terms of working out the dynamics/relationships between the main characters. I was not disappointed with Peter, but I am totally in awe of the performance by Robert Hardy (notably the scenes shared with Philip Madoc) and I would recommend the series on the merit of that alone. I am pleased to have added this to my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars ARRESTING DRAMA, 1 Jan 2013
TIV (rhyl, north wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
5 STARS FOR SUCH A WELL WRITTEN STORYLINE,EXCELLENT ACTING,ESPECIALLY BY ONE OF MY FAVORITE ACTORS-ROBERT HARDY,MAKE THE SERIES'' COMPELLING'' VIEWING.ONE OF THE BEST SERIES EVER MADE
DURING IT'S TIME. WELL WORTH BUYING!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Manhunt? I stopped looking., 22 Feb 2014
Pip Gundill (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
After two episodes I'd had enough! A product of its time. And it showed. I was appalled at the acting, the direction, the dodgy camerawork. It was a cross between Crossroads and well, Crossroads. I simply couldn't carry on watching it. Just some examples. The heroine was supposed to be a Frenchwoman in the resistance. She sounded as though she'd just left Cheltenham Ladies College. The scenes in episode two in the forest with the communists and their captives - they were supposed to be followed by the Germans. So you'd think they would tone things down a bit. Not a bit of it. They were all shouting at each other on the tops of their voices. To be fair, I had only just finished watching Secret Army!

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 1 July 2012
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
My son bought me this DVD for Christmas. I haven't much to say apart from 'buy it' and 'watch it'. Enjoyed every minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawed but excellent, 26 Aug 2011
Colin D. Robertson (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
Some of the criticisms by other reviewers are true. Manhunt is low budget (though some episodes are pretty pyrotechnic!) and there are some character inconsistencies.

But it is still excellent. Some episodes, namely the ones written by Vincent Tilsley, are among the best drama I have ever seen.

It's the epitome of 1970s British TV drama - great characters, great dialogue, depth, suspense, intrigue, psychology, universal themes, and endearingly low budget. (Of course the sets don't look realistic - that's what your imagination is for!)

Despite a dodgy beginning (the first 4 or 5 episodes suffer from meandering), this is a fantastic series and I am so glad I discovered it. If you like character-driven drama and aren't seduced by special effects and shallow blockbuster drivel, you should enjoy Manhunt very much!

It's worth it just for Robert Hardy as Gratz and Peter Barkworth as Vincent. Both characters, and both actors, can only be described as brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memory did not play tricks, 25 Jan 2011
P. Townshend (Adelaide Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I remember enjoying this series when it was first screened. I was obviously much younger & haven't seen it since then, so I was a bit concerned when I bought this set in case the memory was playing tricks with me.
I am happy to say that the series is as good as I remember. Excellent scripts, fine acting & all the twists & turns that made this such a memorable series.
Peter Barkworth is excellent as Vincent - trying to find a path for himself against a backdrop of his father being accused of being a Nazi collaborator ; Alfred Lynch as Jimmy - a gung-ho over-confident fighter pilot who gradually sees that it is not all fun & games - is another fine performance ; Cyd Hayman as Nina - an innocent caught up in a circumstance not of her making & being forced against her will to join with Jimmy & Vincent because of the information she has - in my opinion was fine. I have read some complaints about Hayman's acting, but I found her very good at portraying Nina's vulnerability ; Robert Hardy as Gratz - to me the standout performance - an dangerous, unhinged person who you never quite know how to take & Philip Madoc as Lutzig - although the part isn't written that well & is a bit of a stereotypical SS thug - Madoc gives a nuanced performance which gives the character depth & overcomes the limitations of the character.
All in all, I really enjoyed reliving this series & would highly recommend it.

Manhunt - The Complete Series [DVD] [1970]