Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on 24 June 2015
Very compelling but confusing
on 4 January 2010
I loved Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Joss Whedon), and Tru Calling (Eliza Dushku) was a clever idea while it lasted, and funny with it. But Dollhouse is just stupid.
Yes, it's technically a fascinating idea (see also parts of William Gibson's novel "Neuromancer"), but the execution of it is horrible and confused.
I kept waiting for it to pull itself together and pick up the pace (and start making sense), but it never happened.
This is one of those "low energy" productions - you know the ones I mean, where the actors don't really seem that into it; The script has something missing, but you can't quite put your finger on it. You keep expecting something interesting to happen, but it just doesn't.
If you love bad acting and plots where you have no idea what's happening (like every show copies "Lost"), then watch this show.
And I did watch more than one episode to give it a fair chance.
on 18 May 2009
I wanted this show to be good. Joss Whedon's Firefly was all the incentive I needed to watch this show. I was however, very disappointed.

Plot wise I didn't enjoy it, I tried to get a friend interested in the show ( at the time I was giving it a chance myself), but there isn't really any episode that you can watch and get somebody hooked with. It was often too 'doll of the week' oriented, which is ok once or twice, but not something I could rewatch every week. This is not Firefly reborn, Firefly is often praised for being pretty much perfect, Dollhouse is nowhere near this mark and Joss Whedon can do MUCH better than this.

Character development feels limited - given that the characters are different dolls every week. The people who aren't dolls are sometimes interesting, but I didn't get attached to a single character in this series. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you do give it a try, the first half of the season is very dull. Many blame the US network, Fox for this - it's true they screwed up the introductory episodes to the show, but they don't take all the blame.

As I said, I wanted to like this show, but I want to see Joss doing something better, anybody could make this show.

Also note that this is a short series, if the pricing (when revealed) reflects the price on the US Amazon site, take into account that you aren't getting that much for your money.
on 21 December 2009
I like Joss Whedon, but I still can't believe this thrash has 2 seasons, when Firefly was cancelled after just a dozen. The storyline is absolutely uncontrolled, characters boring or stupid, and Elisa Dushku has acting talent same as the mannequinas in the shops. Other characters are secondary, as she is also a producer, logic is minimal or nonexistent. Such a waste!
on 21 May 2009
I was really disappointed at having seen this series(actually gave up half way through).
It was like watching an England football match...You hope for so much each match (episode), you sit through the whole match (episode) expecting something to cheer about (a goal) , and then at the end when there is no goal you feel let down...but then you hope for the next match(episode) it will be different, but it isn't and the cycle continues. I now watch Rugby, but I won't be watching Dollhouse again thats for sure!
77 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse