4.0 out of 5 stars It depends ...
I bought the Behringer Studio Condenser C-1U microphone to improve the quality of my home music recording efforts without going to the expense and complication of adding a pre-amp box. The selling point for me was the USB connection which is powered by phantom power directly from the computer.

The mic arrived a month ago (great customer service from Blue Aran)...
Published on 2 Jun 2010 by Dolphin

1.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet!
The Behringer C-1U feels like a nice solid piece of kit, but beware!

I've spent several hours trying to get this mic to record at an adequate volume. As an IT technician, I usually like a challenge but I give up on this one. The mic does pick up, but I have to shout right into it and even then the recording level is way too low.

And I'm not alone - a...
Published on 13 May 2010 by J. Dean

4.0 out of 5 stars It depends ..., 2 Jun 2010
Dolphin (Stuck inside a cloud) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The mic arrived a month ago (great customer service from Blue Aran) and it has taken me a longish time to achieve acceptable results. The main problem (which I discovered is not unique to me) is that the mic is on the quiet side. To produce the flat, quality sound I was hoping for requires all relevant computer settings to be turned up to the maximum. In the course of doing so, I ran into problems with my Realtek Audio Manager. It is quite possible that the resulting glitches are due to my particular system components, but the fact remains that for me it was not quite the "plug and play" experience that was promised. I have e-mailed Behringer customer support a couple of days ago and have not yet received a response, so I cannot comment on that. One point I would like clarified is that the LED light indicating that phantom power is being received is always green on the mic (I have tried it in 8 different USB ports on 2 different computers) whereas the documentation says it should be blue. Whether this indicates insufficient power from the USB port is something I would be interested in knowing.

On the plus side, this is a very solid and good-looking piece of gear, heavy and substantial in feel and offering the kind of convenience and low-cost solution I was looking for. It came with an adapter (but you still need to buy a mic stand) and a software CD. There is Juice software for podcasting, Kristal and Audacity for recording and editing. These last two are free software. Kristal's last version (dating back to June 2004) is still available for free download online but it's handy to have it on CD. As for Audacity, I prefer to use the latest version directly from Sourceforge.

The best advice I can offer to anyone who is encountering similar issues to mine with the C-1U is to resist the temptation to shout or play into it at close range, as condenser mics are very sensitive to such assaults. Five to six inches away is the recommended distance otherwise you get distortion. What finally worked for me was to separate the input jacks in the Control Panel, Audio Manager (I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium), turn the microphone (input) volume to the maximum in Audacity (having given Audacity control of the mic), and respect the 5-6 inch distance for both guitar and voice. I then apply amplification and/or normalization to the resulting recorded sound wave. My research indicates that the problem of the low sound is common to other condenser mics of the USB variety, and I have seen suggestions that Vista is not very user-friendly in that respect. With my current set-up, I am happy with the sound I am getting, there is no hiss and I love the ease of the USB connection. The three stars rating reflects all the hoops I had to jump through to get acceptable results.
Behringer C1U Studio Condenser Microphone with USB

4.0 out of 5 stars Hear sound recorded with the C1-U, 23 Jan 2011
Length:: 3:42 Mins

A quick review of the Behringer C-1U USB condenser microphone, using it to record sound for the video. You may here a humming noise on the sound - that's my computer's fan whirring away in the background!

1.0 out of 5 stars Too quiet!, 13 May 2010
J. Dean - See all my reviews
The Behringer C-1U feels like a nice solid piece of kit, but beware!

And I'm not alone - a Google search of 'C-1U too quiet' will reveal a lot of people posting in forums with the same issue. Behringer technical support have been responsive, but after following their many suggestions (download a special driver, fiddle with various Windows XP settings, fiddle with Audacity settings) they have drawn a blank too. Their last email said "It seems that this microphone does not have the volume you are looking for. I might try suggesting using a different mic connected to a mixer which has a preamp."

I think they are probably right - a decent condenser mic just doesn't get enough power through USB. Yet a couple of reviews on YouTube show the C-1U working quite well.

So just be warned... and get ready for lots of shouting, both into the mic and at Behringer support ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Please see youtube clip to fix the volume problem, 28 Mar 2014
[...]
Mic now works like a treat and is such great value for what you are getting.

Totally would recommend this to anyone.
Hope this helps everyone.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, nothing amazing..., 12 Jan 2012
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
The mic is ok, it's very quite when you hear the outcome of the mic recording but a few tweaking should sound loud and clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Damn Good Bloody Good Damn Good Microphone (Mostly), 11 May 2014
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
This microphone is really rather good. It's a really sturdy thing (I've dropped it several times already) and sounds great as well. I'd advise mucking about with the audio levels in the Audio Devices menus, because It is quite quiet. It's also quite weighty, so if you're planning on using it for extended amounts of time I'd invest in a stand of some description.

Great for making noises into and listening to the noises at a later date, which is all you can ask for really.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
I was expecting studio-sounding quality, yet it barely picked up my voice. Even when I was as close as I could get to it.
Really unhappy with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars ill Mic, 21 Jan 2014
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
Ignore all the bad reviews, these people probably cant sing or rap so they blame they mic.

For the price, usb functionality and all..this mic is ill as hell...

I been using it for a long time and I have finished a lot of projects with this piece of equipment, rap and voice acting and similar tasks.

Like every mic, the sound quality depends on your surroundings, so if you're not in a professional studio, any mic will sound dodgy..unless you work well to create a professional recording setting you wont get good vocals...

I bought a mic booth/shield which goes around the mic which simulates being inside a studio, it prevents echoes/reflection and makes the voice crisp and perfect, I wonder if the people giving bad reviews tried this, I doubt it.

This mic has never given me any problems, and if you want a sick mic but don't wanna bust your wallet/purse on phantom power equipment, then this is for you.

It has worked well so far with all the different software I have used, including fruity loops and audacity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Green LED, not blue - and needs a little driver work, 23 Oct 2013
Ben (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
Many people including myself were concerned about the Behringer C-1u microphone green led, rather than a blue led.
Behringer state, "There are various colors of the lights on the C-1/U microphones..." taken from [...]

This microphone needs to be in a USB port that can give enough power (only the specific USB ports on my machine work, not the motherboard or front ports) and it requires you to turn up the volume on the microphone. In Windows, you'll find this in "recording devices" in the control panel.

Over all, I'm quite happy with the microphone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy., 24 April 2013
This review is from: Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone (Electronics)
This mic is far too quite and worst of all mine broke just a week after buying and doesn't pick up any sound, be warned.

Behringer C-1U Studio Condensor Microphone