5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I remembered...
I bought this boxset for my husband expecting just the ten seperate series but found the last two 'bonus' discs actually contain five additional episodes including Minder on the Orient Express. For value for money this set can't be beaten. I hadn't intended watching much of this but listening to my husband's laughter I found myself getting drawn in. Yes as other...
Published on 27 Mar 2010 by Mary Carmichael

3.0 out of 5 stars minder the complete series
Although the recordings are great there are no subtitles on so if you are deaf or hard of hearing do not buy, I am deaf but i ordered these for my son. If there were subtitles on I would order another set for myself
Published 23 months ago by deafasapost

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice little earner !, 28 Nov 2011
David McDonald (Kirkcaldy in Fife .) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is a very funny series that over a number of years became very popular with viewers of all ages and was recently repeated on ITV4 . Arthur Daley ( George Cole ) tries to make a fast buck with whatever nice little earner comes his way but usually comes unstuck and has to get his friend and employee Terry McCann ( Dennis Waterman ) to get him out of any sticky situation he falls into . Throughout the ten series that were made , and several specials as well , the cast of who's who runs thick and fast and all the episodes are very well made . Arthur is always trying to stay one step ahead of the law and any rivals who try to muscle in on his nice little earner . Simply hilarious and one of the best series ever made .

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Value, 27 Oct 2011
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Every episode from the very first 1979 to the very last 1994 on 33 DVDs in superb Library Box. It arrived in the post and I started watching it immediately. The thing I love about Minder on DVD is that, when it was first released, I was working 1 week of days and one week of nights so I missed every other episode. Picture and sound quality superb and how they can do it for the price amazes me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice little boxset that makes a great gift from 'er indoors, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
Great boxset at an even better price.
With 33 discs and including 4 specials (Minder on the Orient Express, Cruel Canal, Around the Corner, An Officer & a Car Salesman + Christmas bonus episode) this represents great value for money. It was a shame there was no leaflet - no room! However look on [...] and you can see all the background to each episode -The website even includes 'then and now' pictures of key locations in each episode. Particularly useful if you recognise the locations but can't place them.
I have only managed to get up to 'the Bounty Hunter' - best episode so far - and I'm looking forward to the rest.
This boxset makes a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply the best..., 6 Sep 2011
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
i had this boxset as a chrimbo pressent last year. as a huge minder fan, its simply the best.. the expressions on authurs face crack me up, the antics both authur, terry, and ray got up to was funny as... in my book a nice little earner

5.0 out of 5 stars VINTAGE COMEDY, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
THIS COLLECTION OF MINDER IS COMEDY AT ITS BEST.IT IS PURE AND INNOCENT FUN AND HAS STOOD THE SANDS OF TIME.BRILLIANT!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic boxset - good value, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This is excellent value with all the classic Terry episodes and the specials - and some George Cole interviews thrown in too. George Cole and Dennis Waterman make a great duo throughout the first seven series. Unfortunately this means the final three series do not compare as well, for Gary Webster - playing Arthur's nephew Ray - doesn't have the same charisma as Dennis Waterman. Also the last three series scripts do seem poorer - maybe due to cutting back on the sex and violence...

...However what I really can't stand about the last three series with Ray in, is the fact that some idiot decided to revamp the theme tune and "update" it in that awful eighties style which means it features millions of crashing symbols and electronic toms - total overkill. Even worse, and this has made it hard for me to watch the last three series, is that probably the same idiot also decided to add lots of heavy dramatic background music all over the show. It really sticks out and is not needed as (a) most times it is used the so-called drama doesn't match the heaviness of the music, (b) Minder is a light hearted comedy drama not some heavy espionage/political drama and (c) it treats the audience as morons. So that's why I only give it 4 stars... ahem, rant over!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got a good idea - why don't you keep this fabulous collection near? It'll be so good for you, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
This box set has proved to be an absolutely overwhelming hit with my two little home-educated relatives, aged eight and four. So much so, that the elder one now has what might be viewed as a 'crush' on Terry McCann. That's fairly understandable I should think, given the character's somewhat flawed yet ultimately heroic nature. What is less clear is why her little sister should now be referring to Arthur Daley as her 'boyfriend' in all conversations. I know that underneath, he's alright - but he's still dodgy. What have I unleashed here? Oh yes - this situation is entirely down to me.

Despite the fact that the set gives the appearance of only being suitable for those aged 15 and over, the individual discs are labelled somewhat differently. There are in fact a number of 'PG' ones to be found and I saw no harm whatsoever in showing them to my little friends. Well, truthfully speaking, I was just looking for any excuse (either legitimate or otherwise) to sit down and watch them myself. The collection had been in my possession for a good six months by then without even sharing a room with a DVD player. 'I'll get round to watching that one day,' that was my thinking. However, once it became part of their 'home-education', I had all the excuse I needed. It's not a million miles away from the truth that either. This programme is an iconic part of 80s television history, and the character of Arthur is a work of combined writing and acting genius. Even the Ray Daley episodes of later years are well worth watching, although a great deal of their appeal is down to Nicholas Day's brilliant portrayal of DCI Morley. The show may lose Terry but it doesn't forget its roots, nor its real star - George Cole.

Minder was originally planned as a vehicle for Dennis Waterman and it is difficult to see anyone else playing the part of Terry. But it is surely completely impossible to imagine anyone playing Arthur Daley but George Cole. Every expression is a classic. He can make you roar with laughter just with the merest double-take. Actually I'm beginning to see a certain appeal to that character myself, now I'm dwelling on it. I think it might be the trilby. I don't think I really want to go any further down that particular road though. Speaking of roads (and the rounded education of the next generation of 'entrepreneurs'), how about using this show to highlight the change in physical and social geography within the nation's capital city? The London dialects can be written off as 'learning another language'. Oh, I'm on a roll here!

Well within the first twenty minutes of the very first episode I showed them, the girls were completely hooked. The PG episodes obviously go easy on the concepts of Terry's one-night stands and love of making mincemeat out of people for the slightest reason. Interestingly enough, that still leaves Arthur's cigar smoking and rather prodigious vodka and tonic intake as being deemed to be acceptable for family viewing. Never mind the lack of any thought as to the consequences of 'another VAT please Dave' and our hero getting into his car and weaving his way home. I like to give the kids a quick lecture about the perils of all three and then bung on another episode. And I think they're taking it on board. I haven't quite got round to emphasising how important it is to be completely honest in all of your tax affairs yet, contrary to the rather appalling example set by Mr Daley. Then again, I would no doubt sound hopelessly insincere so I'm staying well out of it.

If you have ever seen this show then you need to have this box set in your collection. If you have never seen the show at all then you also need to have this in your collection. If you've only ever seen Shane Richie's dismal contribution to the Daley franchise then you definitely need to have this in your collection - plus therapy to help you forget such a thoroughly traumatic experience. Get this set!

3.0 out of 5 stars minder the complete series, 18 Aug 2012
deafasapost (yorkshire England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Minder, 15 Dec 2012
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I like the legendary George Cole with his shady dealing in the entreprenure world and his car dealing. He hires his minder to take care of things. It's worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some good, some bad, some brillilant, 28 Feb 2012
Red Rob "Red Rob" (Blackpool, Lancashire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] (DVD)
I think my review title sums this collection up for me, but I'll chuck in a couple of morsels for people to chew on, if I may.

There are those who claim the 'Terry Years' to be infinitely better than the 'Ray Years', but I have to disagree with this. Some of the early Minders were very poor, in terms of storylines and Dennis Waterman's almost complete lack of comic timing and ability to deliver a joke.

Also, a lot of the early Minders focused more on the 'Minder' side of things (violence, punch-ups etc.) and included Arthur's role almost as an afterthought.

Having said all that, the 'Terry Years' (and Arthur's character) did develop very nicely.

It's also nice to see that the episodes appear to be intact and without heavy editing (as has happened to lots of other DVD releases). This seems to be mainly due to the fact that the music used in Minder was made for the programme and didn't appear anywhere else. If you don't believe me, try to find any music in Minder (apart from the theme tune, obviously) that you actually recognise. I think you'll search in vain.

Something I do try to recognise are the locations used in the series. I lived in West London during the 80s and I still love being reminded of my old haunts in and around Hammersmith, Fulham, Kensington etc.

All in all, I think Minder certainly does deserve its 'classic' status and remains a great example of great British comedy.

Thanks Arthur, Terry, Ray (and Dave, of course) for all the good times. Cheers!

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD]
Minder: The Complete Collection [DVD] by George Cole (DVD - 2009)
38.75