5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied
Very good keyboard, simple with no frills- but that is exactly what I want. I use it mainly for gaming, using wsad and surrounding keys etc, no signs of wear as of yet.

The keys aren't perfectly flat, like laptop flat- but are quite large and fit closely together. This makes typing so much easier! - going back to a normal keyboard is almost painful...
Published on 9 Jan 2010 by Richard

3.0 out of 5 stars Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2
It's quite easy to write a positive 5 stars review after receiving that product, but it is better to wait and use it for a while first. I've been using it for the past 7 months and I cannot say that this is a 5 stars keyboard.

Published on 3 Jun 2012 by Koriel Tannhauser

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, 9 Jan 2010
Richard (England, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)

The only disadvantage is that one cannot easily take the keys out easily to clean them or recover a lost pin etc

5.0 out of 5 stars The best keyboard I've ever used., 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
I've been using this keyboard for nearly 3 years and I'm about to buy a new one only because I can't be bothered to clean it! This keyboard has endured many late night feasts and marathon gaming sessions and it's still just as smooth and silent as its ever been. Most other keyboards give me really bad pains in my hands after prolonged use, but these sensitive low-profile keys let me type forever without any fatigue or the usual hand pain I get from Dell keyboards at work. In fact, I'm going to buy one for work too!

The best part for gamers is that you can press whatever combination of keys you want and it will still register every stroke. Most other (non-gaming) keyboards have grouped keys that can't be pressed together (sometimes 3 whole adjacent columns of keys in each group!) so you're basically gimped with WASD controls; but you don't get any of that rubbish here! An example: when you hold ctrl+shift+W+A to creep round a corner and press 3 at the same time to get your knife out in counter-strike, the keyboard I had before wouldn't register the 3. It also wouldn't notice me pressing W+2 or W+D at the same time, but W+A was fine. This is a very special feature that gets its own space on the shiny boxes of many high-end gaming keyboards, but Cherry give you that for free as part of their basic build quality and don't even seem to care that some people decide which keyboard to buy based on that feature alone!

Plus you can do all this really late at night without keeping people awake because the keys are so quiet (but of course you would need decent headphones and a quiet mouse too!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A very nice keyboard, 25 Aug 2010
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
Keyboards these days can be as basic or as fancy as you want. This one is relatively basic and priced as such, but it's a quality keyboard. The keys are well sized and precise in their action. It's quiet and does exactly what a keyboard should without the bloatware that comes with some peripherals. Well done Cherry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2, 3 Jun 2012
Koriel Tannhauser (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)

The packaging and the delivery process was great and I had no problems there. The keyboard looks very solid, and the keys are a bit thinner than on the normal keyboard - I would say that they are between laptop keyboard and ordinary PC keyboard. I type a lot, and this keyboard is not exactly a silent one, but then again, it wasn't advertised as one (this actually doesn't bother me at all, but maybe it makes a difference for you). The level of "noise" is somewhere between typing on a laptop and a normal PC keyboard -> I would say it is acceptable, but by all means, it is not quiet. The volume control buttons are very useful too (especially while watching the movie or playing some games) - and most applications are recognising them without any issues (bear in mind that some don't and you won't be able to use them).

The problem I have is that after a few months some of the keys are not responding as they used to. Mind you, I'm talking only about two keys: "1" and "Shift" - so I suspect there is some issue with the left side of the keyboard (nothing is stuck there under those keys). Is not that you cannot use them, but sometimes you have to press them a bit more (not every time) and you have to repeat that about 2-3 times more. Now it may not seem like a lot, but when you are typing a lot during the day it could be a problem (as the "Shift" key is used a lot in typing). Also, typing something like a login password, while having that issue is not fun at all (I know I can change the password to something different, but why should I?).

Also please note that the picture on Amazon.uk website is wrong - this is actually a UK version of the keyboard not a US one (not a negative point here, just stating the fact). So in overall, I have to say that I still like this keyboard, and in the first few weeks I would give it a 5 stars review. After 7 months I can give it only solid 3 stars or a very, very weak 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great simple elegance and quieter for quick typers., 2 April 2011
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
Initially bought this for my partner as he types in turbo style, not a good sound to wake up to with the thudding of standard keyboard buttons. Must say it reduced the drumming thuds to a muffled tapping and has a very solid feel even though this is thin and simple without all those extra buttons you hardly use. Saves space, looks classy and weighs solid rather than light and cheap. I don't like laptop keys as they are too flush making me misstype a lot of the time when I type faster, this has a similar flushed look and feel but the buttons have that satisfying clicky (but smooth resistance) push to it of a desktop keyboard without the cluck noise. They also have a bigger gap between the buttons so you can feel that you are on the right button and don't slide (like laptop) into the next key. Takes a short time getting use to but once I did I had to buy one for myself and standard keyboard now feel clumsy and large and if I have to use a laptop its easier nowadays, I'd say this is in between a standard keydoard and a laptop keyboard in terms of feel and ease of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better keyboards in use, 3 May 2012
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
At a time when relatively few keyboards were made in China but made by companies that actually cared about quality in use, Cherry was one of the very best from Japan. Some of their keyboards were hand-assembled and used individually sprung keys with an excellent feedback to the user. If anyone ever used the early IBM or Compaq keyboards from the 1980s, they will understand exactly what I mean. Those keyboards were then an 'extra' and cost well over 100 each in those days, probably equivalent to more than 500 today!

Cherry has long been overtaken by Microsoft and Logitech in the marketplace and is now, regrettably, largely forgotten. Although their designs and build are more in line with modern standards and techniques, they remain a major player in some markets but not to the general UK consumer. That is an oversight by the British users.

If you need to replace a keyboard and don't like certain designs or want a change away from the 'big boys', try this or another Cherry design. They are good to use and you will not be buying something from an anonymous brand; Cherry's are good products and deserve a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid, sleak keyboard, 14 Sep 2010
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
I wanted a good, solid, uncomplicated keyboard with a slight laptop-feel to the keys since this is what I mainly use for work. This keyboard did not dissapoint, and has in fact surpassed my expactations. The whole keyboard is very low prolile with seemingly quite large keys. Typing on it is smooth and quite, with the keys giving a pleasent bounce. I use it for gaming, surfing and the odd email, but not hours of typing - though I would anticipate it would be comfortable for the odd essay or article. For those who are curious, despite the slightly misleading pictures, the keyboard I received had a standard UK layout with a large return key, the "quote symbol correctly positioned on the number 2 key, and the \backslash key in the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard next to the Z.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple keyboard that does what it's supposed to, 11 Feb 2013
Robert Cunningham (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
This is a simple straight forward keyboard which has the standard layout or should I say the old standard layout, there is no messing with key sizes or arrangements here: fullsize backspace and return keys, the backslash is in the correct place as are the rest of the keys - I appreciate this as to will others especially if they touch type.

The keyboard feels solid and well built with extremely little flex. To be clear this is a laptop style keyboard, it doesn't have full height keys or the key travel of a normal desktop keyboard. On first use the keys seemed to travel even less than on my laptop keyboard but this is just an illusion which I think is just because the mechanics are extremely solid on this keyboard. It is very quiet too which may be a little disconcerting if you've only ever used a desktop style keyboard before with their 'clackety' sounds. It has plastic keys with key identifiers being in the form of decals/transfers, this is standard but might be a problem for anyone with long nails (if this is a concern you should consider a keyboard with etched keys). Although lacking any dedicated/programmable buttons the low key height and quiet nature make this a basic but good keyboard for gaming.

The caps/num/scroll lights are orange in colour and glare a little in low light conditions but no more so than a lot of other lights found on computer equipment. You get only the basic media keys being volume up, volume down, mute, play/pause, previous track and next track but these are all you need and at this price is all you will get, in fact previous track and next track is something I expected to get even on lower price keyboards like this but found out you do not so this is actually much appreciated and a rare find. Finally the keyboard is spill resistant (haven't had the mis-fortune to test this yet) and you also get a USB to PS/2 adapter too.

If you're looking for a solid laptop style keyboard but with the full size desktop layout and with the basic media keys then this is an excellent choice of keyboard, in fact it's an excellent choice of keyboard generally and looks more expensive than it is (22 delivered, Kikatek). I am happy with mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb keyboard - unexpectedly so, 9 May 2012
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
A sentence I am surprised to be using: perhaps the best PC keyboard I have used. I type all day as part of my job, so small differences are noticeable. Most importantly, this is very quiet, almost inaudible to others when on the telephone. Resistance is low enough to be little effort, but there's sufficient feedback for confidence the key-press has registered. Am back at Amazon to buy a 2nd one for home, having been unexpectedly delighted with the one I bought for the office.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gem of a keyboard, 5 May 2012
This review is from: Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2 (Electronics)
I've used everything from MS Curve's to IBM PS/2 and 3279 keyboards and this is one of the nicest at an amazing price. To me it combines the best features of a good laptop keyboard with a standard keyboard. Just enough height on the keys for touch typing and a nice positive but gentle response. My typo rate has plummeted.

Cherry Stream XT - G85-23100GB-2