4.0 out of 5 stars Good value
I have a Roberts R861 (a re-badged Sangean ATS909) that has served me well over the years as a versatile short wave radio. With ever increasing restrictions on the weight and size of airline baggage I looked for a smaller and lighter radio to take on my travels. The Eton G3 fits that bill well and performs in many ways better than my Roberts.

My main interest...
Published on 28 Sept. 2010 by Lincolnshire Ned

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality and Dangerous - Avoid
Published 22 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 28 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Eton Global Traveler AM/FM/SSB/RDS Radio - Black (Old Version) (Electronics)

My main interest when abroad is reception of the BBC World Service and although greatly reduced in coverage these days, the G3 manages to pick something up. I also listen to SSB stations and the G3 handles that well too. There is a function included called 'Sync' that greatly improves short-wave AM reception and SSB reducing the effects of fading etc. The wide/narrow bandwidth switch is also effective.

There are 100 memory 'pages' each containing 7 storage locations accessed by the 'F' buttons on the front panel giving a total of 700 accessible memories. Each page can be labelled alpha/numerically to identify the nature of the content of the 7 memories in each page. Unlike the Roberts, it will not store the RDS info for FM stations.

There is a line input socket to which you can connect to your MP3 player and use the G3 speaker to listen to that! Aircraft band is also included but it appears not to be very sensitive. The FM band can be set to start at 76 MHz and there is provision for 9 or 10KHz AM channel spacing. Scanning can be set for all bands except the aircraft band which is odd.

Overall a very good compact and light radio, ideal for travelling. Sound quality good considering the size of the unit. It wont suit the radio purist but as general radio covering 150KHz to 30MHz, FM and Airband it's to be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good value for money radio, 2 Jan. 2011
B. Covill (Canterbury) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I will admit that even though I am a licensed amateur radio enthusiast I am not what I would call a real expert, however I know what I want in a compact "World radio" and this one exceeded expectations, its more sensitive than mates condsiderably more expensive Sony!

I found saving frequencies easy enough but a bit confusing to recall them, as said its got quite a bit or room what with 700 being able to be stored

I was very pleased indeed to hear US stations booming in on SSB the first time I used it and that was on the std telescopic antenna, very imrpessive, when I plugged in an outside antenna it was superb, in fact it did as good as my Yaesu

I think it has a good sound through the speaker and excellent stereowhen you plug earphones in

Anyone wanting a fun radio to play with should seriously think about this one, it comes with mains uniot too which is handy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 29 Jun. 2012
I've been looking for a replacement for my rather tired Sony ICF SW100. I've tried quite a few different radios including the current Sony ICF7600GR. The audio and Sw reception just wasn't upto the standard of my 15+ year old SW100. Finally I think I have found something I can use......This radio really is a gem. It's smaller and lighter, the audio is much richer than the Sony 7600GR, the SW reception is great but it really does need an additional clip on longwire to get the best out of it. The FM reception is also really good and the recierver supports RDS although you seem to have to enable this every time which seems a bit strange. I definately recomend this product

4.0 out of 5 stars A SMALL NEAT BUT MULTI-FUNCTION SET, 11 Feb. 2011
My last old SWL set was about the size of a couple of heafty telephone directories and huge in comparison to the Eaton Global Traveller which out performs it in functions and devices quite remarkably. It seems to perform very well in the AM & FM bands but as far as SW signal reception goes it's difficult to assess as the airwaves appear to be quite emty since I listened years ago. The set is smaller than I imagined but appears sturdy, compact, neat, robust and reasonably easy to operate once the manual has been given some study. Your own knowledge of what to listen for and when, on the sw bands, will be an advantage in seeking out your desired stations because just casual scanning up & down the bands is no longer as good as it used to be pre-satalite & pre-digital. That's not the sets fault, its size & weight make it an ideal travelling companion. I do intend to fix up an external antenna in the near future to see if it picks up more SW stations but this was never the case with my old set.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality and Dangerous - Avoid, 3 Sept. 2013
I got this, opened the box, inserted the batteries (new), turned it on and all I got was static. Couldn't tune any frequencies and couldn't turn it off. Took batteries out and checked I'd put them in properly, got another new set and tried again. Then realised that the battery cover was hot, took batteries out and they were too hot to touch. Shorting out somewhere.
Got a refund/return sorted and rang Nevada, the suppliers (who I know as I used to live nearby and they're a good team). Spoke to the engineer who said that these radios are "rubbish"!!! basically, Grundig sold out to Eton who now manufacture the whole thing in China and the quality has gone down the swanny. Nevada have sorted full refund, but to be honest I'd like to see these withdrawn completely.
If I could award no stars I would.
Avoid!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Feature packed receiver but quality not so good, 1 Jan. 2013
The unit I received was not brand new although I purchased as new. The tail tail sign was the carrying handle was fitted poorly. Someone had pulled on it to even it out, .but was very noticeable. Anyway I opened it to straighten it out and notice the screen on the back of display had also been refitted. with one side un-soldered.

Too much hassle to send back so kept it, This is a very light radio and good for traveling. The audio is very bright with low distortion and the synch is very good. The sensitivity is only average which lets down the radio for serious shortwave listeners, although it is very stable on ssb and am frequencies and the BW filter is good. The mw and longwave is acceptable and the Fm is very good and probably the best for this type. The Airband works ok but it does not tune in 25khz steps only 10khz or 1khz with knob!. The sound tends to lean towards the mid range to highs and lacks at the low end range. The "line in" sounds good on the internal speakers though and is a great feature as it uses the amplifier to boost the sound of an Ipod. The batteries life is not great and the charger does not seem to stop to indicate fully charged!

I have given 3 stars for the radio because I think it was obviously designed to supersede the E5 but falls behind on the sensitivity and sound. Perhaps I got a bad one!

It would make a good first time radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic radio, 20 Dec. 2012
As I have not been active on the HF ham bands for some time I needed a little receiver to keep me going rather than trying to use my IC706. this radio is small and sensitive. I live in a flat and I can listen to 20mt . the feel and setup is easy and once you have the memory pages organised its fab.
Remember this radio has no scanning that I can find. air band if fine if you only listen to one frequency.
very good HF radio receiver
GM0Tcc

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Product, 5 Feb. 2013
I recently began SW listening and wanted a good introductory radio. This one fits the bill. It is well made and pleasant to use. The LW is a disappointment, even in an interference free spot it is much poorer than my cheap Roberts R9993. MW is average, no better or worse than my 42 year old Sony 6F-21L portable. The FM is really good but I couldn't find a way to switch to mono so if the signal fluctuates or you are in a marginal spot the radio switches back and forth automatically from stereo to mono with a annoying effect on sound quality. Overall sound quality is excellent. I haven't had much luck with the Airband. As others have noted I find the SW/SSB excellent especially away from the house and the noise locally. I haven't yet tried an external antenna. Overall I find the radio easy to use and have had a lot of enjoyment from both the broadcast and ham bands.
I wouldn't recommend it as an all rounder especially if LW is important to you.

3.0 out of 5 stars HOPEFULLY JUST AN ISOLATED CASE, 5 April 2013
The LCD was playing up when I tilted the radio then I noticed a rattle inside a piece of solder eventually fell out via the battery compartment. The radio seems OK now, but I returned for a replacement for piece of mind. It cost me £11.00 postage upfront the AMAZON return label required postage to be paid and this was the cheapest I could return the item to cover the cost of any insurance claim. The radio is somewhat let down only by the possibility of pieces of solder in the build process causing malfunctions. I hope this is an isolated case and that my replacement is a good one also that Amazon refund me for the return postage.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eton Global Traveler, 1 Oct. 2013
After returning one as it did not work, the replacement from a personal point of view made it extremely hard to read the tin y buttons which operate it and in all I thought the design is too small for the amount of stations and frequencies crammed into it. Secondly, with the extremely long antenna when fully extended and standing on a flat surface it was most unstable. On reflection I would have wished for a larger model. This radio was a gift.