5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent top quality breadmaker
I bought this Kenwood breadmaker to replace a Morphy Richards one that had died. As I wanted to use it on a regular basis, I wanted a top quality one and, although it was at the expensive end of those available, it has not disappointed me with the build quality and lovely looks.

Published on 6 Nov. 2009 by Beatleduck

1.0 out of 5 stars two and a half years on
I bought this Kenwood BM450 model breadmaker about two and a half years ago. I now find myself having to replace the baking tin for the second time. The previous replacement, about a year ago, cost £40+. I initially thought that I was responsible for a seal failing and leaking water into the oven and was scrupulous when I was drying and cleaning the replacement...
Published on 6 Nov. 2012 by mjs

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent top quality breadmaker, 6 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser (Kitchen & Home)

I read many reviews before committing to buy and was a little dubious about one review saying the control buttons were indecipherable. They are not..... the button symbols are pretty logical, so don't be put off. The main ones are a book symbol for the program number, a scales symbol for size of loaf with three choices and a slice of bread symbol for colour of loaf, again with three choices. So with these I set it to make a white loaf within 5 minutes of getting it out of the box and it was perfect, as have been all the other loaves I have tried.

A lovely feature is that it allows you to extend the cooking time at the end and I'm just starting to practise with the custom made programmes with good results

The only thing I can fault it on is that the touch buttons are very sensitive, so don't brush your arm on it when setting up!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding quality breadmaker, 26 Aug. 2009
kymara - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Bread machines have been around for some time now, and the technology is evolving.
This machine differs from older bread makers in a few distinct ways:
* The mixer paddle does not tend to get stuck in the loaf when you remove the bread from the tin
* The mixer paddle does not make a large gaping hole in the bread loaf (It's much thinner, and has less of a vertical curvature than paddles on older machines I have used)
* A round tin is available as an additional extra so you can enjoy different shaped loaves

Other features which perhaps not all breadmachines have are:
* Incredibly good looks - those pictures don't do it justice
* A light to see inside through the hinged lid, without lifting it and jeopardising your loaf
* Very good quality and comprehensive recipe booklet
* Genuinely good rapid bake setting (creates well risen loaves in less than an hour)
* A large dispenser to add nuts or fruit partway through the cycle (added from the beginning, they get broken into too small pieces by the mixing action)

And of course, it has all of the standard features like a timer setting so that you can set your bread to be ready as you wake in the morning, cake programmes, jam programmes, and the ability to select different sizes and crust colour. If you'd be interested to see the recipes which come with the maker they are available free of charge online from the Kenwood site, I googled for 'kenwood bm450 recipes'.

As a breadmaker it really does an excellent job, the bread it's produced for me has been flawless. As with all new technology I needed to read the instructions first, though the programming of the cycle was not disimilar to other makers I have used.

As other reviewers have noted it is rather large, Amazon have provided dimension in the product specification so you can see if it would fit your kitchen.

I hope you find this helpful in making your bread maker decision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, effective bread maker, top of Kenwood's range, 27 Aug. 2009
Mr. T. Anderson "onlyconnect" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have used bread makers from Morphy Richards as well as the popular Panasonics, most recently the SD 253 which has proved reliable (now replaced by the Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker with Raisin/Nut Dispenser). How does the BM450 compare?

For starters the construction is solid and it looks great; I doubt it will suffer from the quality problems that some have found with the cheaper Kenwoods. This one has a stainless steel surround and a beautiful smoked glass lid with a smart handle; it would look good in any kitchen, whereas the Panasonic is a bit of a white blob. The unit is somewhat large, check the measurements 38.5H x 23.5W x 31.5D, but at least it stays put in operation; the Panasonic has a habit of walking along the surface. On the downside, the Kenwood is slightly noisier.

It comes with clear instructions and a colourful recipe book: we like the plentiful tips and hints. There is also a good-sized measuring jug, though check the booklet to understand how the markings on this work, and a handy measurer for tablespoon/teaspoon quantities which helps the all-important accuracy for yeast, sugar and salt.

There's an internal light you can switch on, so you can peer through the glass and see how it is getting on - a nice feature though hardly essential.

Just in case you've not used a bread maker, the idea is that you pop all the ingredients in the bowl, turn on, leave for a few hours, and come back to find a lovely loaf. You can have this on a timer for fresh bread first thing in the morning. There is also an ingredient dispenser which pops open automatically later in the kneading cycle, for nuts, raisins and the like, which are better added at this time.

Does it work? Yes - generally it works very well. Bread is fiddly stuff to get right, and small errors can get you flat or collapsed loaves. So far we've had no failures, though the small white loaves were a little flatter than we would prefer. This is a matter of experimentation until you get it perfect, which is where the hints and tips come in. The wholemeal loaf we made came out perfectly first time; we also added an egg to this one, and it was delicious. Overall the results are as good or better than from the Panasonic.

One oddity: most of the loaves we've made are noticeably higher at one end than the other, giving them sloping roofs. It's not really a problem and makes them look more home-made which is not a bad thing. I have no idea why this is or whether it will continue.

Another good tip from the booklet: home made bread has no preservative so goes stale quickly. Try slicing the bread and putting some in the freezer as soon as it has cooled; then you can get out one slice at a time for toasting.

Overall we like it very much - a little pricey, but with looks and performance that are worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking BM machine., 21 July 2010
Having bought most of my goods from Amazon in the last 10 years, I wasn't too impressed that the package had been opened when it arrived. Had eagerly tracked - loaded onto the HDNL van in the early morning only for it to arrive tampered with and late in the eve. This is the first time this has ever happened. Anyhow, the BM looks fantastic, it really is a sophisticated looking piece of kit and goes well on my worktop with my other stainless steel gadgets. The only initial worry that I had was that it looked as though it had already been used. The bread pan was stained and the glass top showed a few nicks and tiny chips. Many have commented that it is large but it's what I expected and leaves ample room in front of it on a standard worktop for a full size breadboard. It is tall but still stood comfortably on the worktop under the wall cupboards with a few inches to spare. Couldn't wait to try it so opted for prog 3 - wholemeal. 4.5hrs!! But the smell was gorgeous. Didn't rise as I'd hoped but bread was bouncy. I made a real home-made loaf using the same flour and ingredients a few weeks ago and whilst this bread rose lovely and looked like a traditional loaf, it was far more solid than the BM loaf. The BM loaf turned out fine with no problems with the paddle sticking in the loaf and the bread pan was a breeze to clean - a quick swoosh under the hot tap and that was that - no residue whatsoever. The crust - set to med was good too(can't wait to try the French Bread prog). The book said to leave the loaf to rest for 30 mins on the cooling rack but having waited all day for the machine and all night for the loaf, it lasted about 5 mins before I cut off a sizeable nobbler to go with butter, cheese and chutney! Ok, I might have some strange dreams tonight with hot bread and cheese but it was worth it, it tasted lovely! I spent a good few weeks researching which bread machine to buy and every one seemed to rate the panasonic D255. I own a lot of panasonic goods(mainly audio/visual and a microwave which I cannot fault) but the Panasonic BM looked tacky in comparison and as though it would discolour quickly. I am so far pleased with my Kenwood purchase. One niggle is the measuring cup. The recipe book states several times it is important to use the exact quantities stipulated yet the
cup is in 50ml gradients - also difficult to decipher which line pertains to which gradient. Could be better. Fingers crossed the next loaf will rise more and I will not have to revise this review.

Ok, so 4 days after baking my first loaf in the BM, I finished it and it was still not stale. Quite impressive. Made a loaf today using a bread mix on Prog 2 and that turned out ok too (bit of guess work with measurements). But the real reason of posting is that I've sussed out how to remove the paddle that is so problematic to people. The instructions tell you to turn it clockwise to remove it and that is true. What they do not tell you to do is to ensure that when you do this with your left hand, you are holding still the rotating nodule(on the underneath of the pan) with your right hand. If you ensure that you do this, the paddle should remove effortlessly every time.

Am still very impressed with the machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever Kenwood, 24 Aug. 2009
J. H. Bretts "jerard1" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a top of the range bread-maker. Is it worth the extra expenditure?

Appearance - good. Brushed steel and dark glass. Solid - but big. You need to be sure that you'll use it a lot if kitchen space is an issue.

Instructions and recipe book - both adequate, though the instruction manual would benefit from better presentation. Larger print would be helpful for some crucial information - like how to cancel a programme you didn't mean to choose! Recipes varied. Great to have 3 loaf-size options for all recipes.

The control panel -intimidating initially. There are a lot of options and some aren't self-explanatory. It's easy to make mistakes until you're used to it. After that, it's fine, even straightforward.

In general - everything works just as it should. The bread pan and kneader are satisfactorily solid and completely non-stick. The dispenser - which releases nuts, dried fruit, etc. - works a treat. You can use the internal light to see how the bread is doing and the kneading process is acceptably quiet. The timer is easy to use - but doesn't operate on all programmes including the dough programme. (No setting it early to make pizza or bread dough later - but fine for loaves to be finished in the bread-maker.)

Results - great bread every time so far!

Why you should buy this machine
If you think that you will make lots of different kinds of bread and want to be able to programme the machine to suit non-standard recipes - this is the machine for you.

Why you shouldn't
If your kitchen is on the small side and you are - generally speaking - going to make basic white or wholemeal bread - go for something smaller, simpler and cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing since, er, sliced bread., 24 Aug. 2009
Flickering Ember "I need a break and I wanna ... (Once Upon A Long Ago.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd heard a lot about breadmakers recently and despite being tempted by a Panasonic breadmaker with fruit/nut dispensers I plumped for this model when given the chance to try it, and I have bought Karen Saunders' book; Breadmaker Bible as although this machine comes with a recipe book, I like to experiment. As an aside, I do thoroughly recommend the extra book, which is available on this very site.

I have made a banana, chocolate and walnut loaf, a cinammon and raisin loaf, and a normal wholemeal loaf, all of which came out perfectly. I didn't know how well the ingredients (I mean the nuts, etc) would be distributed but it worked well and they were smattered throughout the loaves.

It was easy to get the hang of how to use the machine, and also easy to take apart and clean relevant bits. I have not yet tried to make jam, but I look forward to giving it a go and seeing how this breadmaker makes jam.

Much as a previous reviewer has said, it is heavy and large and does take up space, so be aware of this if you have limited storage/a small kitchen, and if you're only making ordinary loaves, then you would be fine with a cheaper option. It looks very classy and modern though and should match most kitchens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine. learn its foibles before you criticise., 26 Aug. 2011
Whatever anyone says, this is a great piece of kit; it's dead easy to use and clean. Follow the measurements accurately, do as the recipe says and the results will be fine. There are a couple of tips which make life easier: Put all the liquids (water, lemon juice, Vegetable oil etc.) in first.
I mix all the dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl and pour them onto the liquid in the baking department, using a rubber - yes RUBBER spatula to guide all the ingredients in without spilling. After about 5 minutes of the paddle turning continuously, open the top and use the spatula to dislodge any bits of partially mixed dough that sometimes stick to the corners of the tin. (They are only tiny amounts, but I'm fussy). Close the lid and leave it to get on with it.
On the rapid cycles, use a tad more water, particularly with full wholemeal bread mixes -(20ml extra on a 750g loaf) and the 'dark crust' seems to work best.

I read the 1* and 2* reviews and the main complaint is not being able to get the loaf out of the tin and difficulty in removing the paddle for cleaning - It's EASY! OK, to get the loaf out -(when it has just finished is best), with gloves, turn upside down and shake vigorous downwards. It's the paddle inside the bread that's holding it, not the tin itself. 2 or 3 good shoves and the loaf will fall out. Don't use anything metal to try to dig the bread out of the tin; you'll scratch the non-stick surface!!!

The paddle should still be in the bowl, attached to the spindle and removing it is what most people don't understand. The paddle bore,(central hole), is slightly larger than the spindle allowing some lateral movement - it's designed that way, so that during kneading, the spindle digs into the paddle and jams it in position. this is to stop the paddle ending up stuck inside the loaf.
To release it after baking, you grab the spindle drive bar under the tin and gently twist the paddle left and right to release the spindle's grip. then all you have to do is lift the paddle off the spindle. I read one review where the owner said he had to bash the spindle out of the bottom of the baking tin! Clearly no mechanical sympathy! Just do as I suggest and it will work - honest! As far as cleaning is concerned, a quick wipe with a damp cloth and you're ready to go again. Now how easy is that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser, 9 July 2010
Kenwood BM450 Bread Maker with Ingredients Dispenser

This breadmaker appealed to me because of its good looks, and automatic ingredients dispenser.

Firstly, it does look the business. I love the shiny top, and overall, though it is big, it looks quite sleek. I think you will find this with most breadmakers, but if I have it on the kitchen counter underneath wall cabinets, I cannot open the lid enough to get the bread pan in. This is quite annoying as I am constantly sliding the machine backwards and forwards. However, I cannot see how this can be avoided, and I'm sure it's the same with other machines. Eventually, I hope to move it to open shelving in the pantry, but I would advise finding a space for it that is not underneath wall cabinets.

It is well designed. The opening lid lifts off completely - which means the lid is easy to clean, and also that it is much easier to get inside the machine to clean. I think this is a brilliant feature and very well thought out.

It is easy enough to use, but there are lots of buttons. I think this is a 'universal' model, because everything is done with picture symbols, which can be a bit hard to work out. However, I find you do use the same programmes most of the time. A handy card is enclosed to remind you which number programme to use for each recipe - but again there are no words on it, so you are still guessing! Similarly, the instructions are pictures, and not very clear at all. I would prefer written instructions. There are tips in the back of the recipe book, but they are not a comprehensive guide to how to use the machine.

The recipes come in three sizes - 500g, 750g and 1kg. There are only two of us, so I started on the small loaves. However, they really are small, and since the bread is so good, they got eaten far too quickly. Also, getting the ingredients together is a bit of a faff, so I would recommend doing larger loaves less often. So far I haven't had any trouble with the bread spoiling, and one loaf did last for about 4 days (but only because we had a busy week!). I also found that the smaller loaves came out a bit misshapen. I think that is because there wasn't the volume of dough to cover over the kneading marks, if you know what I mean. Because the kneader is at the bottom, it really disturbs the top of the mix for the smaller bread, then when it goes to rise it includes dents and twists in the dough. With larger loaves the top of the loaf stays relatively flat despite the kneading though.

You really do have to get the bread out, and let it cool, before it is ready to be either sliced or stored. This is my biggest issue (and I can't see how you can solve it). If I put the machine on overnight (the timing facility is really easy to use), when I get up in the morning to take it out, I don't have time to wait for it to cool on a weekday. So I can't usually have it for breakfast. I also don't like to put it away when it is still letting the steam out, but if I left it on the rack until I got home it would go stale. So far the only solution I have found is to get my husband to take it out when he leaves, then it has cooled enough when I am getting ready - but only just. I would say it really needs 3/4 of an hour to an hour to cool enough to be put away.

Unfortunately, the automatic dispenser isn't as good as I thought it would be. I used it last week with a 1 kg loaf. It operates like so - the dispenser is a little box, which you slide into guides on the underside of the lid of the machine. At the appropriate point in the cycle the box is mechanically opened - a poker comes out of the inside wall and pushes a release button. It then swings open like a trapdoor, realeasing the ingredients into the dough. This means that for the rest of the cycle, this trapdoor is hanging down into the machine. My 1kg loaf rose so much that this door became baked into the loaf! Which also meant it punctured it as it was rising, and deflated it. It was quite messy. I was working to a recipe from the book, so I don't understand why this happened. I Have decided it's easier to chuck the ingredients in myself, unless I am out.

Finally, I read a tip online somewhere (it could have been here) about working by volume instead of weight. It's been a great help! Find a scoop and see how much each scoopful of flour weighs. Then you can start counting in the scoops instead of having to weigh the flour. I bought some dry food storage containers from asda, that have a little door on the front, and a scoop which clips onto it. These are great for flour, and I know one scoop is 50g, so if I need 300g of flour, I do 6 scoops, and so on. This has made the process a lot quicker, as most other measurements are by volume using teaspoons and tablespoons, so I don't have to get the scales out anymore. It's a great timesaver, so I thought I'd pass it on.

5.0 out of 5 stars the kenwood breadmaker bm450 is great!!!, 31 Oct. 2009
K. A. Evans - See all my reviews
This breadmaker is 'absolutely great' and with such little reviews so far, i thought i had better add another to highlight the credit that this breadmaker deserves.
I have never made a loaf in my life but i really fancied having a try and additionally I wanted to get back into making some cakes and jam too but without too much time being spent.
After countless research on breadmakers, the BM450 ticked all the boxes. I took the plunge and purchased the BM450 about two weeks ago and I can say that I'm absolutey delighted with it.
The Breadmaker seems to be of high quality and would sit proud in any kitchen.
The Kenwood instruction booklet is easy to understand, even for a novice like me and The Kenwood recipe booklet offers enough varied recipes to get you started.
The Breadmaker is really easy to use and the paddle rarely gets stuck, especially if you oil inside the paddle which is a really good tip from a previous review.
I've already made several 100% successful tasty bread recipes and it really is a case of just adding all of the recipes ingredients, in the correct order and exact quantities and the breadmaker does all the work.
Ive made the Kenwood Marmalade Cake recipe, with a slight adjustment to adding extra topping for my sweet tooth.
Jam was also a great success but the recipe only filled one jar, so im going to try slightly increasing the ingredient quantities next time in order to get a bigger batch.
As suggested by other reviews, two really good breadmaker recipe books are by Sonia Allison & Karen Saunders which I'm looking forward to trying because this BM450 is a pleasure to use and gives great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Bread, 28 April 2010
Bought this BM450 in preference to the Panasonic SD255 because of its apparent flexibility (5 programme slots for your own recipe/programmes) and a need to eat bread without preservatives. I also wanted to make bread with Spelt, which I have done with some success. The first effort with wholegrain Spelt was a disaster; collapsed top and sides but further reading of the book and a little internet research put me on the right track. So far have been successful with a wheat 100% wholemeal, a light wholemeal Spelt (programme 4) substituting Spelt white and wholegrain flour for white and wholemeal wheat flour and a white Spelt using programme 4, 300ml water, 1.5 Tbsn EV olive oil, 450g white spelt, 1 Tspn salt, 2 Tspn sugar, 1.5 Tspn dry allison yeast. This is quite good but am going to try to improve by formulating my own programme, perhaps to adjust kneading time and proving/rising time. Apparently the key is that Spelt requires c. half the kneading time and half the rising time of wheat flour. Am enjoying not only the bread but also learning tricks of the trade and the ability to experiment with my own programmes. I am sure the varied recipes, including cake, naan, pizza and jam will eventually turn out great. Why do some Americans put flour enhancers and honey in their Bread recipes??